Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,806 times

Advertisements

How long after Jesus did they fall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post

BTW, Tyre is now just some ruins found in the sea,....
Yeah! Sure it is.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1262892376

Last edited by Rafius; 03-16-2010 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 PM

33,529 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Not sidon or tyre, Jesus said it was better for them in the Judgement then Chorazin, Bethsaida and Capernaum! These cities are all now just ruins.

BTW, Tyre is now just some ruins found in the sea, I think that was already established in the posts above! :-)
They weren't cities, just tiny villages...Villages come and go.

Have you got a vision problem?....I just posted a photo of Tyre.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,505 times
I'll bite the hook...But I will not debate it...I'll Just say Revalation of John 18:00 -18:24

This is the great Judgement on the Idol or Altar humankind have made, and made great?

They toot their accomplishments with the words profits and Gains...while holding oppression and sanctions against doing God's word of instructions, and taking away some of the gifts God wants in his Garden...to make cities of stone, and metal...killing the eco systems...to make more death arise!

Surely this is one of the greatest and yet reoccuring promised acts of God...That he will destory those false estates that humans engage in and enslave to.

and it is tied to trade....Yes...and it is tied to the Begining!...YES!...and it is tied to the end.....Yes!
And it is tied to all things God made?....the eco systems...hmmm

Marijuana!...put it back sinlessly and come out of death..perhaps?

So like in the beginging the plant was...and then it was not...and then it is put back for profits (Idol) and does not work in their favour......and then it is put back sinlessly!

And Eden is made!...then it is multiplied to all nations and tongues, and tribes...and the word will be with it, and God will come down, and Christ will come up...Acts 3:21 To see the fulfillment of the first instruction, done sinlessly by all.

And the great ordeal....over?...no!

$atan comes out again after a thousand years of Christ and God teaching us...But that won't last long!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
And you made my point exactly... the Bible is a book of literature... mostly fiction with a few sprinkles of truth.

Thank you.
I've suspected for quite some time that any "truth" in the buybull is of the "even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then" variety.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:33 AM

47 posts, read 59,515 times
Hello All - First Post

I actually carefully read this entire thread and want to thank all who put the time in...I found it very fun to read. Though very long (and very informative !) I was indead sad when it ended ! It felt somehow incomplete. And I'm still searching myself for a Bible Prophecy that has come true that would convince me it probably had some divine origin directed by the Christian God - as Carl Sagan once said something like the 10 Commandments Carved in Giant Letters on the Moon waiting to be read by our first Telescopes or a Giant Golden Crucifix in orbit around the earth since the dawn of man. Something that two smart people from different backgrounds could both agree could almost certainly not have been man - made or reverse/engineered...not a coincidence or simply a logically prediction of a possible future event one could make. I currently know of no such prophecy in the Bible that is so overwhelming as to convince me of its divine origin. Ones such as the prophecy that Israel would be restored or a certain Temple destroyed and the other ones listed in this thread are indead impressive just not enough to convince me that they came via the direction of a divine Christian God. Even some of the most devout Christians thru the ages have had serious doubts in their lives that Christianity was true. If the evidence and the prophecy by/for a Christian deity is overwhelming and undeniable (as some suggest) why the doubt among some of the most devout/learned Christians thru the ages who knew the Bible inside & out? I am also researching how people of other Religions other than Christianity view prophecy in their faiths which I think would be very helpful in understanding it in a broader context (i.e. do most all Religions have some type of Prophecies that they believe to have been and indead sometimes do seem on some level to have been "fullfilled") Is this a common theme in all Religions? I have just started that journey but something tells me it probably is a common keystone of many Faiths..I look forward to understanding more. Is the thread now closed? It actually took me over the course of two days and many many hours to read! I enjoyed it a great deal. Thank You All.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertao View Post
Hello All - First Post
Welcome.

Quote:
And I'm still searching myself for a Bible Prophecy that has come true..........
You'll be searching a long time then.

Quote:
Ones such as the prophecy that Israel would be restored or a certain Temple destroyed and the other ones listed in this thread are indead impressive......
Not so impressive when you realise that the Israel prophecy was self-fulfilled.

Quote:
I am also researching how people of other Religions other than Christianity view prophecy in their faiths which I think would be very helpful in understanding it in a broader context (i.e. do most all Religions have some type of Prophecies that they believe to have been and indead sometimes do seem on some level to have been "fullfilled")
Yes. There are loads of 'em in the Qur'an alone.

Quote:
Is this a common theme in all Religions?
Indeed it is.

Last edited by Rafius; 10-30-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-30-2010, 10:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post

Because he has given to us free will. As long as we have free will to do this, that or the other, the future cannot be foretold. .

Most likely, you have given free will to create god.

"...and on the seventh day, Man created god."

Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertao View Post
Hello All - First Post (cut to greeting - see above for the perfectly good post).
All we can do is put our views and let the reader decide. It is quite easy to find prophecies fulfilled. It depends upon how rigorous one is.

The fact is that the Tyre prediction does seem to mention the Alexander causeway and that is a bit too close for a lucky guess! One might have ranted about total destruction, but it is a bit close and I have to suggest that the writer actually saw the aftermath of Alexander's attack with fishers drying their nets on the rubble causeway.

Since then the whole area has silted up and is a thriving port. The assurance that the 'real' Tyre is visible ruined in the sea and is abandoned is just not true.

Similarly, Babylon was not destroyed as we know that the Persians used it as the seat of the Babylonian satrapy and Alexander lived in the Palace of the Babylonian kings. It wasn't until Parthian times that Babylon fell into ruins.

Yet we get the Babylon prophecy put forward again and again by believers who repeat what they hear and do not check the facts.

That is forgivable - well, not really, but we can be understanding - but, once explained, it is unforgivable to repeat the same untruth later on.

Ignorance is one thing, dishonesty is another.

Now, Gospel prophecy is a bit trickier. I'd say that I consider one may have really been fulfilled - deliberately so. Zechariah 9.9.

The others have been fitted into the Gospel story and also the gospel story has been fitted around the prophecies. The temple destruction prophecy is indeed impressive, as is Jesus' predictions of his owen death. However, if we suppose that the gospels were actually written up after the Jewish war to reflect situation and hint that the Jewish war was the punishment for rejecting Jesus, then it becomes easy to understand. It is easy to say, but is there any evidence? There is indeed, but This is not the place.

Note also that John seems to lose sight of what prophecy actually is and has Caiaphas supposedly making prophecies about the later church.

Anyhow, welcome and browse around and join in. There's a lot of fun and some rich abuse goes on. I'm sure you'll get plenty to help you make up your mind about which way you want to jump.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:56 PM

47 posts, read 59,515 times
One thing I've noticed today (as Rafius pointed out above ) as I research this more is most of the worlds religions/sects you look at claim to have Prophets and point at specific verses and events in their various Holy Text they claim fullfilled a certain Prophesy and therefore their path must be "The Way"...how could it not be since such and such came true just as our prophets said they would - It MUST be THE WAY !!! But they can't all be true as they often have opposing views of very central themes like the Divinty of Jesus or what happens in the Afterlife. So it kind of leads you back where you started from as far as your convictions go...but its very interesting !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality