Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 04:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times

Advertisements

I read alot of posts that talk about how detailed prophecies are coming true with the passage of time and that this gives the Bible much more credibility. Can anyone point out a passage in the Bible that makes a prediction that is so specific in it's description of the event that it couldn't possibly be confused with any other event that has actually happened? The biggest problem with biblical prophecies is the fact that they are so vague and filled with symbolism that they are virtually unintelligible. If there really was a God who is all knowing and is aware of every single detail of the future as he's instructing the authors of the Bible what to write then why wouldn't he have them write precise details of every prophecy? For example, wouldn't the Bible seem much more believable if it had a passage that stated "After the end of the Second World War and the defeat of the Nazis who persecuted and exterminated millions of Jews the state of Israel was created in 1948"? Now that would be a prophesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 04:52 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Prepare to hear some wild stuff, but you should also have added the stipulation that these "prophecies" are not supposed to include prophecies that were supposedly fulfilled in the same book that makes said prophecies. Anyone could write one of those.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:32 PM

InsaneInDaMembrane wrote:
Quote:
Prepare to hear some wild stuff
I'm expecting to hear something about the East Gate in Jerusalem.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:44 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I read alot of posts that talk about how detailed prophecies are coming true with the passage of time and that this gives the Bible much more credibility. Can anyone point out a passage in the Bible that makes a prediction that is so specific in it's description of the event that it couldn't possibly be confused with any other event that has actually happened? The biggest problem with biblical prophecies is the fact that they are so vague and filled with symbolism that they are virtually unintelligible. If there really was a God who is all knowing and is aware of every single detail of the future as he's instructing the authors of the Bible what to write then why wouldn't he have them write precise details of every prophecy? For example, wouldn't the Bible seem much more believable if it had a passage that stated "After the end of the Second World War and the defeat of the Nazis who persecuted and exterminated millions of Jews the state of Israel was created in 1948"? Now that would be a prophesy.
I know I'm going to crush someone's heart here, but as far as I know about the bible, which is very little, the prophecy of the Messiah is true.

As far as I'm aware, no one can predict the future. Not even God predicts it. And do you know why that is?

Because he has given to us free will. As long as we have free will to do this, that or the other, the future cannot be foretold.

And if people will just stop and think about how long it sometimes takes to make a minor decision about anything in particular... you will see this as one reason why.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:03 PM

SoCalAngel2009 wrote:
Quote:
I know I'm going to crush someone's heart here, but as far as I know about the bible, which is very little, the prophecy of the Messiah is true.

As far as I'm aware, no one can predict the future. Not even God predicts it. And do you know why that is?

Because he has given to us free will. As long as we have free will to do this, that or the other, the future cannot be foretold.
If that's your point of view then you must not be a Christian. If you believe that the Bible is a revelation from God then you must accept that the many predictions of future events are based on reality. The Christian religion is based on these prophecies so I have to ask you, are you a Christian?

Old 11-07-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
SoCalAngel2009 wrote:

If that's your point of view then you must not be a Christian. If you believe that the Bible is a revelation from God then you must accept that the many predictions of future events are based on reality. The Christian religion is based on these prophecies so I have to ask you, are you a Christian?
I am a Divine Love Christian... one who doesn't believe every word in the Bible... one who sees many things as symbolism.

The Bible was re-written throughout the ages and does not contain the real message of salvation, which was lost as men created churches and rose to power in their own self-appointed domains.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:19 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
The gospel predictions of the destruction of the temple are pretty good. It has been explained as a reasonable supposition given the rocky state of affairs during the Roman occupation. However, I doubt that anyone would refer to the destruction of Herod's massive temple before the plaster was even dry. No, that person had to have knowledge of that particular event.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:47 PM

155 posts, read 375,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
I am a Divine Love Christian... one who doesn't believe every word in the Bible... one who sees many things as symbolism.

The Bible was re-written throughout the ages and does not contain the real message of salvation, which was lost as men created churches and rose to power in their own self-appointed domains.

A Christian that makes sense
I like to see someone thinking for themselves and not blindly following company line..
Thanks SoCalAngel2009
White Mountain

Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mountain View Post
A Christian that makes sense
I like to see someone thinking for themselves and not blindly following company line..
Thanks SoCalAngel2009
White Mountain
Howdy, White Mountain.

Yep, we are out there and now we're in here.

The Common Sense brigade has arrived.

Nice to meet you.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:13 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post

Actually any author of a myth or fantasy story can predict the future quite easily. Tolkien did it many times in The Lord of The Rings "trilogy".

For example, here's a prophetic poem from the first book that contains several prophecies that are fulfilled much later in the story (two of note being the reforging of the sword of Elendil and the ultimate "Return of The King" (Aragorn) ):

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king.

There is also the ancient prophecy concerning the death of the Lord of The Nazgul. It was said that no man could kill him or stand against him and live, and during the final climactic battle, he used that prophecy to mock and demoralize the men of Middle Earth fighting against his dark armies. Of course, he was a bit shocked when one of the soldiers stepped up and managed to strike him down, only to remove their helmet and reveal themselves to be Eowyn, a woman. She defeated and destroyed the Nazgul Lord (after almost dying in the process), thus keeping true the ancient prophesy that no "man" would ever hurt him.

So you see.. fulfilling prophecies is actually quite easily accomplished in literature. And that is true even in supposedly related works by many different authors over many hundreds of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality