Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,652,799 times

Advertisements

If animals have a nervous system they can obviously experience pain and of course they have one just like we do. I've seen pets or other animals that have been injured and their reaction to it makes it clear that they sense pain in the same way as a human being does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 AM

33,597 posts, read 37,237,761 times
Anytime I see the word "theism" in connection with any non fiction book my radar goes on full alert...I expect the book is some sort of guilt easing rationalization over the "mankind has dominion" over all other creatures thing....Most religions would be out of business if they were forced to be honest.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:52 PM

18,162 posts, read 15,682,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I just finished browsing a fascinating book that is the product of recent biological research on whether animals suffer in pain. It's called "Nature Red in Tooth and Claw" by Michael Murray and it proposes that even though animals like dogs, cats, and horses experience pain, nevertheless the evidence is that they do not experience the awareness that they are in pain. For the awareness that one is oneself in pain requires self-awareness, which is centered in the pre-frontal cortex of the brain—a section of the brain which is missing in all animals except for the humanoid primates. Thus, amazingly, even though animals may experience pain, they are not aware of being in pain. For even though your dog or cat may be in pain, it really isn't aware of it and so doesn't suffer as you would if you were in pain.

Fascinating: Nature red in tooth and claw: theism ... - Google Books

I actually haven't finished it yet. This thought is a positive boost for the theologian as it allows him to tackle the philosophical problem of evil. Oh, and it's great news for animal lovers out there!
Sorry, but this is a ludicrous notion. Study or no. Animals experience pain , exactly as we do, they also have emotions. How animals COPE with pain is just far above what most people are capable of. The famous 'stoicism of the beast' as it were. As to theologians scooping this up, oh I'm sure some will, however, the God I am coming to know is in our four legged friends as well as in us. That is what I believe anyway.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:39 AM

1 posts, read 956 times
Instead of people throwing out examples of what they have done to their animals, and imposing personality on their pets, look up what the theory is talking about, and try to understand the context. And keep the emotionally charged feelings out.. just because we might have a better understanding of how animals experience the levels of pain does not mean to justify abuse to it. This book does in no way advocate animal abuse.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,998,056 times
Humans are animals.

This is merely tangential to this subject, but it is worth remembering that.

Not long ago-- just moments ago, really, in the age of the Earth-- our species was snacking of fleas and lice and other yummies we picked off each other while huddling together in caves.

We've done interesting things with language, technology, and self-awareness, certainly, but we are still animals, just as much as any bear or bat or beetle.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:28 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,205,397 times
Quote:
I just finished browsing a fascinating book that is the product of recent biological research on whether animals suffer in pain. It's called "Nature Red in Tooth and Claw" by Michael Murray and it proposes that even though animals like dogs, cats, and horses experience pain, nevertheless the evidence is that they do not experience the awareness that they are in pain. For the awareness that one is oneself in pain requires self-awareness, which is centered in the pre-frontal cortex of the brain—a section of the brain which is missing in all animals except for the humanoid primates. Thus, amazingly, even though animals may experience pain, they are not aware of being in pain. For even though your dog or cat may be in pain, it really isn't aware of it and so doesn't suffer as you would if you were in pain.

Fascinating: Nature red in tooth and claw: theism ... - Google Books

I actually haven't finished it yet. This thought is a positive boost for the theologian as it allows him to tackle the philosophical problem of evil. Oh, and it's great news for animal lovers out there!
I'm pretty sure.....wait a minute.....oh, yep, this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:10 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,328,076 times
TexasNick...you can believe what you will.....when my animals are in pain...they KNOW it!...they may not know that the feeling they have is called pain...but they are very aware of the pain, and will look to any way to releive it.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 AM

28,148 posts, read 30,089,846 times
Quote:
Oh, and it's great news for animal lovers out there!
I don't see it as great news for animals lovers at all. I see it as great news for people who want to justify inflicting pain on animals without having to feel any guilt for doing so.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:27 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,871,047 times
I wonder if an animal ponders the pain it's causing the human when it's chewing on one....

Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,758,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I wonder if an animal ponders the pain it's causing the human when it's chewing on one....

i wonder if humans ponder the pain that they cause to animals??? like the hundred million sharks killed and stripped of their fins, and who's living carcasses are tossed back into the sea every year,>> for shark fin soup..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality