Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 06:50 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,201,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I am having SUCH problems with my daughters public school, I am almost at my wits end...

I don't have what it takes to home school my daughter...I just know it would be a disaster...I wish I could find someone in my neighborhood who did with kids this age, I would be happy to pay for the services...

My daughters school called CPS on me because I yelled at my daughter when I found out she had been stealing money from my purse, had lost her cell phone and didn't tell me for a week so I could turn it off and make sure no one used it (Diane has a cell phone in her backpack so she can call me if she gets sick since they on more then one occasion have ignored her being ill) , I have had them finger print my daughter telling her it would be used to identify who broke something in her class, I have had them send her home to me with 104 temp after having complained all day of feeling ill...I could go on but you get the point...

They have even had the nerve to deny me access to my daughter during a school day...during a planned birthday celebration...I was not allowed to join the party even though I had supplied all the food and drinks for the party.

I checked into it, its completely against the law for a school to fingerprint your child for any reason with your knowledge and consent...they can't even do one of those identificaiton packets FOR your own use without your permission and presence...

Twice now I have had CPS at my house, twice they have found no cause for concern....both times they questioned the common sense of the person making the report. I gave me permission to notify the person filing that there were no findings of abuse or fault on my part...

Today I told them I didn't trust the school where my daughter was concerned...

I now believe that our children are WAY better off being home schooled, if you can't afford a private school, then home schooling is the best gift you can give your children...especially if you can't afford to send your kids to a school of your own religious beleifs...

The kids at my daughters public school taunt her with your going to hell and god won't love you when she steps on an ant or kills a spider...

Very sad and awful story. My prayers go out for you. Folks, my original assessment on this thread stands. Or in other words, see I told you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,823,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm curious what some of you might think about homeschooling. It's my understanding that a great many of homeschooled children are being taught by their parents for religious reasons. After losing court battles for various things like creationism in science classes and the restrictions placed on schools due to the separation of church and state many parents are just taking their kids out of school altogether.
I totally oppose homeschooling for a number of reasons. The most important reason is that the great majority of parents are simply not qualified teachers and have no credentials to do the job. My sister (who is very religious by the way) has a Masters degree and has taught in Australia, the US and is now teaching in Guadalajara, Mexico so she really does have impressive credentials and she's very dedicated. She feels that homeschooling might be ok for a couple of years of grade school if the family happens to be remotely located from the nearest school which happened to be the case with a few kids when she taught in Montana. Students need someone who is capable of doing the job. Would a parent perform dental work or surgery on their own children? Of course not, they go to a professional. Well, teachers are professionals too and they do a difficult job.
There's another aspect of homeschooling that is troubling. These kids will miss out on the normal life of a child, having new friends at school, having a teacher who inspires them and being exposed to life in the real world instead of the protective cocoon they'll experience at home.
What do some of you think?
Personally I don't think homeschooling is the best option for a normal child, there are religious schools available if you want religion in school. But I do feel it can be very beneficial for some children with learning problems or behavior problems. As for the credentials of parents vs. teachers. Homeschooling is so mainstream now that curriculums are available for all levels and even online schools have developed. It's not that hard to teach if you can read and follow instructions. As for the social aspects, there are many Home School Associations that co-op teach and do group activities such as trips and physical education so the kids are socialized that way. It can work, I just don't personally want the responsibility of teaching them...I would rather play with them.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:03 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,437,396 times
Personally I don't think homeschooling is the best option for a normal child

And who ARE you to JUDGE HERE?! I know lots of NORMAL children who are homeschooled and they do just well and are quite well adjusted! I like to hear you tell that to their parents who work and homeschool and who do a wondeful job too! I know that would be too much for me, to work and to homeschool and still produce above average as well as WELL socialized children...so what kind of expert are you here?

Old 05-15-2007, 01:45 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,626,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Personally I don't think homeschooling is the best option for a normal child, there are religious schools available if you want religion in school. But I do feel it can be very beneficial for some children with learning problems or behavior problems. As for the credentials of parents vs. teachers. Homeschooling is so mainstream now that curriculums are available for all levels and even online schools have developed. It's not that hard to teach if you can read and follow instructions. As for the social aspects, there are many Home School Associations that co-op teach and do group activities such as trips and physical education so the kids are socialized that way. It can work, I just don't personally want the responsibility of teaching them...I would rather play with them.
Well, you can refer to my earlier post on this thread, if you like, but I will say, again, that I did not homeschool my son for religious reasons. It actually had to do with medical ones.

Other than being rather quiet and shy, my son is perfectly normal. He did not have learning problems or behavioural problems, either in public school, or when we homeschooled. He is bright, articulate, well-mannered. He holds down a full-time job, recently bought himself a new car, has many friends, has a social life. If that isn't a normal 20 year-old, I'm not sure what is.

Homeschooling is not for everyone, (chanced are, I would have hung my daughter up by her toes, if I had tried it with her), but as you, yourself, pointed out, there are many options to use for homeschooling, and there is no reason for a parent not to do so, if they feel they should, or simply would like to.

Normally, I like your posts, Irishmom, but if I may, for all those homeschooling parents, past and present, please be more careful how you phrase your objections to it. You can easily ruffle feathers, by seeming to suggest that only kids who are not normal, are candidates for homeschooling. Parents have many reasons for homeschooling, and they are not necessarily for religious purposes, or for learning or behaviour problems, or even medical ones. Some people just want to be more involved in their children's education.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:14 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,823,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Personally I don't think homeschooling is the best option for a normal child

And who ARE you to JUDGE HERE?! I know lots of NORMAL children who are homeschooled and they do just well and are quite well adjusted! I like to hear you tell that to their parents who work and homeschool and who do a wondeful job too! I know that would be too much for me, to work and to homeschool and still produce above average as well as WELL socialized children...so what kind of expert are you here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Well, you can refer to my earlier post on this thread, if you like, but I will say, again, that I did not homeschool my son for religious reasons. It actually had to do with medical ones.

Other than being rather quiet and shy, my son is perfectly normal. He did not have learning problems or behavioural problems, either in public school, or when we homeschooled. He is bright, articulate, well-mannered. He holds down a full-time job, recently bought himself a new car, has many friends, has a social life. If that isn't a normal 20 year-old, I'm not sure what is.

Homeschooling is not for everyone, (chanced are, I would have hung my daughter up by her toes, if I had tried it with her), but as you, yourself, pointed out, there are many options to use for homeschooling, and there is no reason for a parent not to do so, if they feel they should, or simply would like to.

Normally, I like your posts, Irishmom, but if I may, for all those homeschooling parents, past and present, please be more careful how you phrase your objections to it. You can easily ruffle feathers, by seeming to suggest that only kids who are not normal, are candidates for homeschooling. Parents have many reasons for homeschooling, and they are not necessarily for religious purposes, or for learning or behaviour problems, or even medical ones. Some people just want to be more involved in their children's education.
It's an oppinion people...as stated it's my personal oppinion that it's not the best route to take for a normal child...meaning a child that doesn't have cognitive, medical, emotional, or behavior impairments. I think there are better ways to go about schooling children that do not do well in the public setting. It really is MY PERSONAL OPPINION, which is not meant to offend anyone homeschooling. I am incredibly involved in my son's education...I have to be because he has processing deficits so many times I have to reteach the lessons he gets in school using alternative methods that reach him. So I don't think you need to homeschool to have great influence on your child's education. Again no offense meant, but I stand by my oppinion as it is mine to have.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:01 PM

YOU have no idea how offensive your post is maybe..but it is very offensive and cruel...two of my closest friends in this world work all day long and then homeschool afterwards and have the nicest, smartest kids ever! You have offened them and all the others in this world who do a wonderful job and get jabs left and right...-Moderator cut-

Last edited by Hoosier; 05-15-2007 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 05-15-2007, 07:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,677,800 times
Quote:
YOU have no idea how offensive your post is maybe..but it is very offensive and cruel...two of my closest friends in this world work all day long and then homeschool afterwards and have the nicest, smartest kids ever! You have offened them and all the others in this world who do a wonderful job and get jabs left and right...
How many homeschoolers have said horrid things about public schools and the students in them in this thread?

Not all homeschoolers are saints or do good jobs. It can be a cover of abuse and for parents to keep their kids stunted and under their control.

There is the good and the bad with all choices.....it doesn't do any one any good to pretend that all homeschooling is great. (And keep in mind my previous posts in this thread, I do think homeschooling can be done well...but just because a family homeschools doesn't automatically mean that it will be done well.)

Last edited by Hoosier; 05-15-2007 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 PM

That is true, but I had not seen any homeschoolers in my lifetime take that attitude, in fact one of them is an former teacher herself and fully supports the public schools! No one ever said that everyone who homeschools is a saint or even implied that from what I read here. I am sure abuse happens al across the board and believe me, being an survior of abuse, I am pretty educated on what can happen to a child too, been there myself. I am sorry but her posts greatly offends, it really does!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,677,800 times
Quote:
That is true, but I had not seen any homeschoolers in my lifetime take that attitude, in fact one of them is an former teacher herself and fully supports the public schools! No one ever said that everyone who homeschools is a saint or even implied that from what I read here. I am sure abuse happens al across the board and believe me, being an survior of abuse, I am pretty educated on what can happen to a child too, been there myself. I am sorry but her posts greatly offends, it really does!
Well, I have. I've seen those that refuse to educate girls, others that pull their kids out of school because they were tired of being called on their kids being absent or tardy by law enforcement and still others that have a very strange idea of what education involves, no science, history that is at best, and I mean at best, extremely revisionist and have never been expoused to anything like art or music.

That offends me great......it really does.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:51 PM

Well not every one is like this and its very wrong to lump everyone into that catergory, that works both ways here, alot of abuse happens to people who go to PS...I experienced it, had liberal parents, went to P.S. and yet I suffered in life, so I know it happens across the board here. I refuse to defend myself anymore here as the subject is just too triggering to me here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality