Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Of the nation’s 12 largest churches, she says, three are prosperity—Osteen’s, which dwarfs all the other megachurches; Tommy Barnett’s, in Phoenix; and T. D. Jakes’s, in Dallas. In second-tier churches—those with about 5,000 members—the prosperity gospel dominates. Overall, Bowler classifies 50 of the largest 260 churches in the U.S. as prosperity. The doctrine has become popular with Americans of every background and ethnicity; overall, Pew found that 66 percent of all Pentecostals and 43 percent of “other Christians”—a category comprising roughly half of all respondents—believe that wealth will be granted to the faithful. It’s an upbeat theology, argues Barbara Ehrenreich in her new book, Bright-Sided, that has much in common with the kind of “positive thinking” that has come to dominate America’s boardrooms and, indeed, its entire culture.

[url]http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200912/rosin-prosperity-gospel[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:32 AM

65 posts, read 93,074 times
I would say they're a symptom, not a cause. There are plenty of atheists and non-religious that spend over their limits. But the attitudes that make osteen and the gang successful fueled it.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:20 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,160 times
Of course with the impeding woo woo return of their jesus, I have heard some of these preachers state that making debt like 2nd, 3rd mortgages were not sinful as when teh rupture occurs, they would be leaving the asset to the bankers. Guess with his tarrying and failed prediction dates (which are many) they were caught with their pants down.

I guess jeebus rendering unto Caesar which is due to Caesar has one hell of a surety bill when he returns in light of his representatives misrepresenting his alleged teachings.

As for the woo woos being the root cause, I doubt it, the whole western world, barring a few, suffered loss. Gawd may not be constrained by the world's economy but it turns out his deluded followers are.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:20 PM

190 posts, read 242,241 times
So justme58 I see you are not saved..you don't Jesus...but I tell you this ..Jesus died for the whole world..he loves and you don't even know him..but he says to you if you deny me then I will deny you..because every knee will bow before him when this world passes away...

Old 11-14-2009, 10:10 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1256 View Post
So justme58 I see you are not saved..you don't Jesus...but I tell you this ..Jesus died for the whole world..he loves and you don't even know him..but he says to you if you deny me then I will deny you..because every knee will bow before him when this world passes away...
Ectually dearie, I was "saved" for 30+ years till I recovered from my delusions in fantasy. Luckily now I live in the real world.

One can recover from addiction to goss-pills.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:00 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
the financial crash was not caused by the prosperity belief in the church , but the weakness in prayer by divisions in the body of Christ You see the corrections against each other block prayer They say if you do not believe like me you must be religion and might not be saved at all, the accusser of the brethren is caste down. have any ought against your brother, forgive him See Paul in the word gave the church the power to sin against the spirit of God and prayers do not get answered and the land needs to be healed Most tv preacher will teach people to give divisions a try is diffrent words Im against religion bla bla bla. Prayer for the world go unheard America is spiritually weak blaming the homo. the pro-chose, diffrent dogma ideas as religous and belittle belile spirit Jesus said If my people who are called by my name Christ would TURN from there wicked ways turn to me seek my face then I will forgive them and heal their land. The prosperity belief is the blessing of christ and provisions for Jesus children

Old 11-15-2009, 10:44 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
the financial crash was not caused by the prosperity belief in the church , but the weakness in prayer by divisions in the body of Christ You see the corrections against each other block prayer They say if you do not believe like me you must be religion and might not be saved at all, the accusser of the brethren is caste down. have any ought against your brother, forgive him See Paul in the word gave the church the power to sin against the spirit of God and prayers do not get answered and the land needs to be healed Most tv preacher will teach people to give divisions a try is diffrent words Im against religion bla bla bla. Prayer for the world go unheard America is spiritually weak blaming the homo. the pro-chose, diffrent dogma ideas as religous and belittle belile spirit Jesus said If my people who are called by my name Christ would TURN from there wicked ways turn to me seek my face then I will forgive them and heal their land. The prosperity belief is the blessing of christ and provisions for Jesus children

Old 11-16-2009, 05:45 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Nothing new here. Wasn't prosperity what the Reverend Ike used to preach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality