Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:28 AM

190 posts, read 242,551 times

Advertisements

He is not the problem....your brother has repented and God has forgiven him so who r u to judge him..The bible says.. Man shall be head of his household..and his wife is a better person than you and me..because she has forgiven her husband..the bible says to forgive 7 times 77..so I commend his wife and I pray that your brother be blessed in his walk with God..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 02:12 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,447,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1256 View Post
He is not the problem....your brother has repented and God has forgiven him so who r u to judge him..The bible says.. Man shall be head of his household..and his wife is a better person than you and me..because she has forgiven her husband..the bible says to forgive 7 times 77..so I commend his wife and I pray that your brother be blessed in his walk with God..

But the question is: who is he to turn around and judge me, or anyone else, in how they live their life or where they are in their walk with God?

Old 11-21-2009, 02:17 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,584,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
But the question is: who is he to turn around and judge me, or anyone else, in how they live their life or where they are in their walk with God?
A lot of that is because he is zealous for the Lord,he wants all to come to the Lord so they need to change one's way,this will change over time as he will want to share the Gospel and be less judgemental towards others.

I know you said that you were not close to your brother,but wouldn't you want your brother at this level in his life than back in prison.

Last edited by noland123; 11-21-2009 at 03:47 PM..

Old 11-21-2009, 02:55 PM

33,569 posts, read 37,185,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
A lot of that is because he is zealous for the Lord,he wants all to come to the Lord so they need to change one's way,this will change over time as he will want to share the Gospel and be less judgemental towards othersl.
Give me a break...The devoutly religious are the most judgmental people on earth. They constantly judge other's morals, beliefs and actions.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:43 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,228,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Give me a break...The devoutly religious are the most judgmental people on earth. They constantly judge other's morals, beliefs and actions.
I am sorry but that statement in itself is judgmental. You are categorizing all as one. I know plenty of what you would call "devoutly religious" individuals who are not judgmental, rather they are very loving people and the least judgmental because they understand we all are sinners and we all fall short of the grace of God. I have, however, found some of the most judgmental people to be those who are not "religious" yet believe they are better than others based on status or whatever else.

I don't consider myself to be a "religious" person, although I know in all practicality that is what people generally call it. However, I believe in a relationship with God above the practicing of a "religion" per say. Personally, I try not to be judgmental of others because I believe you should never judge anyone as you have not walked a mile in their shoes and there is usually a reason why people act the way they do.

I may, at times I guess, judge an action as right or wrong based on my own moral convictions but judging an action is not necessarily the same as judging a person.

For example, my kids may do something that is bad, but calling it bad doesn't mean my kids are bad. Or, they may act like a brat sometimes, yet while I call it as it is, it doesn't mean they are brats. Or, a person may act selfishly at times, this however doesn't mean they are necessarily always a selfish person. There is a difference between judging an action and judging a person.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 PM

Do you know mari4him, if the religious were not judgmental of others and did not try to force those judgments on others through our laws and schools, many of the problems in society would be nonexistent. I don't know how you cannot see that.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:32 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,583,526 times
Quote:
I think the most loudly religious are the most judgmental people on Earth. However I don't personally think the loudest voices are necessarily the most devout ones. For all the faults I'm sure many of you will list Pope John Paul II went to the man who shot him and offered him forgiveness. After that terrible school killing the Amish prayed for the killer's family and asked the area not to be angry or blame them. Several Mennonite groups are among the most forgiving people I've seen.

Granted forgiving means making a judgment something is wrong and forgiving it, but if by "judgmental" you simply mean they make judgments on what's right and wrong than this is a great thing about the devoutly religious so far as I'm concerned. However to me "judgmental" is condemning or severe castigation of people.

If this brother is "on fire" and condemning people this might just be an overreaction to his own past. It might either settle in time or it might be a fault he'll always have. However if he is pridefully placing himself above others I feel this is decidedly not the actions a devout Christian should do. I think it's forgivable though and merely a sign his devotion (to whatever denomination) is still basically immature.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Do you know mari4him, if the religious were not judgmental of others and did not try to force those judgments on others through our laws and schools, many of the problems in society would be nonexistent. I don't know how you cannot see that.
So now those of us who have faith and practice that faith are responsible for the problems in society?????

Wow. I guess those of us who have faith and practice that faith have nothing better to do than contribute, no cause, the problems in society so we can then have something to do like....
  • going out to the jails and ministering to those inmates (mostly volunteers)
  • going out into the streets and feeding the homeless (mostly volunteers & provided through donations from church body)
  • collecting clothing and other articles like backpacks for kids of needy families at start of school year, or hygiene kits for homeless, or toys for kids during christmas, or free thanksgiving meal for families who otherwise couldn't afford it (all by volunteers & through donations from church body)
  • Holding periodic outreaches in the inner city's where food is given out as are supplies like shoes, clothing, etc. (mostly by volunteers & provided for through donations from church body)
  • Holding periodic car check up days where single women and elderly women can come have their car checked, oil change, brakes, tune up, etc for free by the men of the church (all volunteers)
  • going out to the hospitals and sitting with, visiting, and praying with those who are sick and dying of things like AIDS or other diseases (mostly volunteers)
  • building orphanages both at home and in other countries (usually missionaries & volunteers & through donations of the church body)
  • creating homes for wayward children or unwed teen mothers (usually has a lot of volunteers)
  • many churches hold free 12 step type programs to help members of society be free of addictions (mostly volunteers)
Those things mentioned above, all are just some of the ministries of the church I attended for the first 10-11 years of my walk with God and only not there anymore because I moved. And I realize there are many other organizations and churches out there that do similarly, I'm just saying...

It doesn't seem like we are the problem, though it does seem like we are trying to be part of the solution.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
So now those of us who have faith and practice that faith are responsible for the problems in society?????

Wow. I guess those of us who have faith and practice that faith have nothing better to do than contribute, no cause, the problems in society so we can then have something to do like....
  • going out to the jails and ministering to those inmates (mostly volunteers)
  • going out into the streets and feeding the homeless (mostly volunteers & provided through donations from church body)
  • collecting clothing and other articles like backpacks for kids of needy families at start of school year, or hygiene kits for homeless, or toys for kids during christmas, or free thanksgiving meal for families who otherwise couldn't afford it (all by volunteers & through donations from church body)
  • Holding periodic outreaches in the inner city's where food is given out as are supplies like shoes, clothing, etc. (mostly by volunteers & provided for through donations from church body)
  • Holding periodic car check up days where single women and elderly women can come have their car checked, oil change, brakes, tune up, etc for free by the men of the church (all volunteers)
  • going out to the hospitals and sitting with, visiting, and praying with those who are sick and dying of things like AIDS or other diseases (mostly volunteers)
  • building orphanages both at home and in other countries (usually missionaries & volunteers & through donations of the church body)
  • creating homes for wayward children or unwed teen mothers (usually has a lot of volunteers)
  • many churches hold free 12 step type programs to help members of society be free of addictions (mostly volunteers)
Those things mentioned above, all are just some of the ministries of the church I attended for the first 10-11 years of my walk with God and only not there anymore because I moved. And I realize there are many other organizations and churches out there that do similarly, I'm just saying...

It doesn't seem like we are the problem, though it does seem like we are trying to be part of the solution.
We all do stuff like that, and I'm sure you know that is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about Christian interference in our laws, our courts, schools and government.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
We all do stuff like that, and I'm sure you know that is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about Christian interference in our laws, our courts, schools and government.
First, I don't know that "all" do stuff like that who do not have some sort of "religious" foundation, perhaps some, but not all. While almost "all" churches do have some sort of programs at some level or another that helps out in the community or abroad.

So, no I don't know what you are talking about then. You talked about the problems in society and how the religious are the cause. I addressed some of those problems and how we have not been the cause of them but rather have tried to be a solution for them.

However, since this is close to hijacking this thread, why don't you start a thread on what exactly you mean and we can discuss it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality