Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:41 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,972,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Campbell34 wrote:

Well as I'm sure you already know I'm an atheist and don't believe that God even exists in the first place so I obviously don't think that there has ever been a God who talked to anyone. The reason I started the thread was because there really is some disagreement and genuine confusion among believers regarding the nature of the trinity. The impression I have is that the majority of Christians do believe in the trinity as a central part of their faith. That's what leads me to ask my question. I wouldn't expect that a single entity would be trying to communicate with some part of itself which is how it sounds when you think about Jesus praying to God.

And yet, we see God speaking to others before man came into existance. And the Bible tells us, that God was alone and by himself during creation. So it should be obvious, that God exists as more than one person. And when Christ was praying, he was praying to His Father who is another member of the Godhead. And we see this reality in both the Old, and New Testaments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Jeremiah 24:7 And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the Lord; and they shall be my people, and I will be their God; for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.

A "heart to know me"... "and I will be their God"... occurs when we become at-one with our Heavenly Father by prayer to Him to receive His very essence, His Divine Love.

Ezekiel 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh.

Ezekiel 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Ezekiel 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

And the "new spirit within you" is God's Divine Love. A "stony heart" is one filled with evil, sin, and false beliefs.

Yes, you have taken many verses out of context, because those verses are speaking of the (Children of Israel). You cannot cut and paste Scripture. And it's pretty obvious to me, you have not spent much time in the study of it.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:57 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,163,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Yes, you have taken many verses out of context, because those verses are speaking of the (Children of Israel). You cannot cut and paste Scripture. And it's pretty obvious to me, you have not spent much time in the study of it.
This thread is about who was Jesus praying to if he is a part of God? So you went off topic and so did I.

There are many bible verses where Jesus refers to "your Father which is in heaven."

In Matthew 6:5-6 "And when thou prayest thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to the Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

This is Jesus telling us we can have a personal relationship with God and that we don't need to go to church and our reward is God's Divine Love that will fill our souls.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 AM

593 posts, read 890,708 times
Default Who is Jesus praying to if He is part of God

A typically good question . The three manifestions of God or as early religion defined it the Trinity (a resonable non-biblical word for human understanding) To cut to the chase God (who can pull off anything) has
three distinct manifestation each having their own sort of duties or roles.
Jesus was sent by God to suffer and die for all mankinds sins. He had to
be human to do this otherwise He would have been a fake. Jesus was
God in the flesh."If ou have seen me you have seen the Father (God)".
One of many such statements. Oh regarding Jesus being human. There
is a significan caveate to this process in that He was conceived by the
Holy Spirit and the "human" factor was Mary (specifically of the house
of David a very important lineage). As man he needed to live 33 years allow the Romans to rip Him to schreds and nail Him to a cross in order
to complete the covenant with God. He prayed as a human, He dispaired
as a human. In the Old Testament it says that Messiah will slay the Lamb
(Jesus) If He would not have been human and destroyed the Romans
tonite you might have calling him a fake with supernatural advantage of
eliminating pain .

Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,119 times
Jesus was praying to His Father in Heaven. There is only one God but 3 entities without one of these entities there is no God.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Jesus is God's son.

Jesus is human. Jesus was a child growing-up, Jesus had siblings, Jesus worked, Jesus bled, Jesus cried.

Jesus prayed to his Father.

Jesus received holy spirit when he was baptized by John [John had holy spirit within him beginning when John was a fetus].

Once Jesus has holy spirit upon him, he began his ministry.

Jesus was later tried and killed, for offending the Jews. Jesus died.

3 days and 3 nights later, God got Jesus up from the dead.

Jesus was then sent in his resurrected body to visit other spirits who had been imprisoned for their crimes.

Jesus spent some time with his followers, further teaching them and comforting them. And eventually Jesus went to be with his Father, to prepare for our resurrection.

That spirit which was in Jesus, commonly called Christ, was made available to all those who believe on him. Those people can become born-again with Christ's spirit within them. By being born-again with Christ in you, your sins are forgiven, and you become a son of God, a brother of Jesus.

Today Jesus sits at the right hand of God awaiting the moment to return to gather his brothers.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
This thread is about who was Jesus praying to if he is a part of God? So you went off topic and so did I.

There are many bible verses where Jesus refers to "your Father which is in heaven."

In Matthew 6:5-6 "And when thou prayest thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to the Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

This is Jesus telling us we can have a personal relationship with God and that we don't need to go to church and our reward is God's Divine Love that will fill our souls.
But the Father adresses Jesus as God. And the Father tells Jesus. Your throne (oh God) is forever and ever.

So why do you ignore Jesus, who is GOD?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Jesus is God's son.

Jesus is human. Jesus was a child growing-up, Jesus had siblings, Jesus worked, Jesus bled, Jesus cried.

Jesus prayed to his Father.

Jesus received holy spirit when he was baptized by John [John had holy spirit within him beginning when John was a fetus].

Once Jesus has holy spirit upon him, he began his ministry.

Jesus was later tried and killed, for offending the Jews. Jesus died.

3 days and 3 nights later, God got Jesus up from the dead.

Jesus was then sent in his resurrected body to visit other spirits who had been imprisoned for their crimes.

Jesus spent some time with his followers, further teaching them and comforting them. And eventually Jesus went to be with his Father, to prepare for our resurrection.

That spirit which was in Jesus, commonly called Christ, was made available to all those who believe on him. Those people can become born-again with Christ's spirit within them. By being born-again with Christ in you, your sins are forgiven, and you become a son of God, a brother of Jesus.

Today Jesus sits at the right hand of God awaiting the moment to return to gather his brothers.

Jesus was human, yet He was also God.
Jesus said, He would raise Himself from the dead.

John 2:19

Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days (I) will raise it up.

Of course, you may of already known that.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Jesus was praying to His Father in Heaven. There is only one God but 3 entities without one of these entities there is no God.

Not trying to be a wise-guy, but that sounds very Eastern - entities, manifestations (as mentioned by Dasular).

Makes one think of the Hindu Trimurti: Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,163,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
But the Father adresses Jesus as God. And the Father tells Jesus. Your throne (oh God) is forever and ever.

So why do you ignore Jesus, who is GOD?
I don't ignore Jesus. He's the Master of the Celestial Heavens and his "throne" that lasts forever and ever is "immortality."

In the bible Jesus refers to God as my Father, which is in Heaven.

My Father and I are one doesn't mean that I am God. It means that Jesus' soul possessed the essence of God, or His Divine Love, which made him at-one with God and a divine man on earth. This is something we all can aspire to if it is our soul's desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality