Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft4RS...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,108,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Undoubtably the 'message' of the Christian hero mirrors that of the Buddha. It would seem that Christianity plagiarised their 'Christ' just as the Jews plagiarise the stories from preceding religions.
Hmmm.... interesting perspective given that I know the one you speak of. But hey, maybe I'm not real either.... Maybe ZaraZoteBuccaneer is just a plagarized concept and not a living breathing person.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:48 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,240 times
Not sure if I already put this answer on this thread... This movie addresses the OP's question:
The Man from Earth (2007)

In this movie, there is cross referencing from the main character, to Buddha, to Jesus in a way I never would've thought of on my own... Interesting concept.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 2,729 times
Google "billy graham evangelistic association" (which should be the second on the list) and go to "Spiritual Help". You shall see written in red and underlined "Christianity" in Red. Under that you'll see "The 'I Ams' of Jesus" click "Read More."

Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I see a few major differences. Buddha was a person (not a deity) who could be documented in history, while the Jesus character can not be documented other than in a book which is not much more than mythology.

Only because you will not look, as He is documented in other writings.

Quote:
The other main difference was Buddha preached peach and the christian faith's preaching is filled with wars, killings, intolerance, child abuse, slavery, rapes, prejudice, and genocide. With the differences I would say the Jesus figure does not come close to being a Buddha figure in history.
I like how you went from "Buddha preached" to "christian faith's preaching", when you're supposed to be comparing Buddha to Jesus. Did Jesus preach any of those things you mentioned? No. Kinda kills your credibility when you have to be deceitful like that.

I personally do see similarities between the two. Of course, you can pick any two "people" and find similarities of some sort.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
I ask this becuse over my many years of studying buddhism i've noticed that there are way too many similarities between the story of the life of buddha and that of jesus christ. Most can't even be called similarities becuse they are identical. for example buddha's mom Maya conceived buddha immaculatly as did jesus's mom Mary (even the mothers names are similar.) buddha meditated for 40 days and 40 night's before being enlightened all while being tempted by demons as did jesus christ (demons being just one in jesus's case) buddha had 12 original desiples as did jesus christ. And, both returned after there deaths buddha as a spirit and jesus in the flesh but both returned nonetheless. Both where extremely tolerant and peaceful and taught accordingly. Mind you buddha lived 500 years BC. was jesus the future buddha that buddha said would come?

nope. That's one of the more crazy ones I've heard.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:52 PM

179 posts, read 295,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan14 View Post
nope. That's one of the more crazy ones I've heard.
I know it is not my place to say this but these kinds of impulse based comments contribute little if nothing to the discussion.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
I know it is not my place to say this but these kinds of impulse based comments contribute little if nothing to the discussion.
People should stop posting stupid comparisons then.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:43 PM

179 posts, read 295,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep9 View Post
People should stop posting stupid comparisons then.
"Momma always said Stupid is as Stupid does" also we are way off topic.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 PM

508 posts, read 1,108,054 times
To equate jesus being another budda or even like budda would be bordering on the concept of many paths to right and wrong. Life is ruled by known facts. If you touch something hot, it will burn. If you pour water on something, it will be wet. So on and so on. There is a black and white to everything. We cannot find ourselves entertaining the idea of many dieties all being equal because the dieties themselves claim to have no equal.

therefore you need to measure them based on their truth. Who has the ultimate power and how do you prove their existence? with Jesus, he says he is the only way and truth and life. He does not say, "oh except for that guy Buddah." Anyone care to know how to prove the existence of Christ? I doubt Budda has any way of proving himself....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality