Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:28 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,423,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Just gonna say I agree with you on the "man" made rules. As I mentioned before on a previous post I was baptized when I was 10 in a non-denom church. Several years later my parents joined a mainstream denom and in order for all of us to join, a requirement to join that church was to be baptized again. At 17 I knew the Bible and although I gave in and was rebaptized, I did not agree with it, and felt some tension toward them, to me anyway, that the first time I was baptized wasnt for lack of a better term, good enough?
I would say yes. I go to a Baptist church and we do not require re-baptizing or voting to join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 01:30 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,288,138 times
Default Voting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
What do you mean by "voting"???

In my church a person who wants to join must go through 6 "lessons" taught by our missionaries. Once those are complete they have an interview to make sure they fully understand the commitment they are making. The person is then baptized for the remission of sins and receives the Holy Ghost by laying on of hands.
Well, in some churches, dreameyes, they actually put it "up for a vote" in front of the congregation. Theoretically, at least, they could have voted "no" on your membership. Again, that was pretty much a "formality" as no one was ever denied membership in actuality. I'm not sure if there is some reason historically for that custom or not. Someone else may know...

Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,147,118 times
Thanks arguy and kaykay for the explanation. So kaykay the way you explained it; are you (or whatever church it happens to be) saying that the congregation could actually deem a person worthy to be a member or not?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Then why do people get baptized? Why did Jesus get baptized? He said it was to fulfill all righteousness. He certainly did not need baptism so why would he set that example for us if it wasn't truly necessary for salvation?
Well, this could turn into another thread easily enough. As I understood it, He said it was to "fulfill all righteousness." To my thinking, that doesn't say "salvation." But I WILL say that He commanded (not suggested ) baptism. So I believe we should take that command very seriously (as all of them) but considering other passages of scripture I, personally do not believe baptism is absolutely essential to salvation.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:39 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,147,118 times
Thanks for that kaykay. I totally agree with you there.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:41 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,214,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Just gonna say I agree with you on the "man" made rules. As I mentioned before on a previous post I was baptized when I was 10 in a non-denom church. Several years later my parents joined a mainstream denom and in order for all of us to join, a requirement to join that church was to be baptized again. At 17 I knew the Bible and although I gave in and was rebaptized, I did not agree with it, and felt some tension toward them, to me anyway, that the first time I was baptized wasnt for lack of a better term, good enough?
I was also baptised twice

I guess the first one didn't take

Old 05-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks arguy and kaykay for the explanation. So kaykay the way you explained it; are you (or whatever church it happens to be) saying that the congregation could actually deem a person worthy to be a member or not?
It sounds that way. And as far as I know,yes. That seems unscriptural, but that's the way it was done...and I don't know the thinking behind it. (Again, this was years ago for me....)

Old 05-17-2007, 01:45 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,305,136 times
Adventists will tell you they are happy for anyone and everyone to join them in worship however to be considered a member of the church, you would take some classes and ulitmately be baptized by immersion.

If you are born in the church, you are dedicated at birth and then baptized when you are in the early stages of the teen years, I believe I was 12 however...

My Father was a minister although no longer practicing, so he baptized me and my brother and sister as well...

Old 05-17-2007, 01:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,539,368 times
In my former church if you were baptized by a different denomination it doesn't count Also you are not saved until you are properly baptized. I think that whatever seems right for you after prayerfully reading the bible is pleasing to God, because there are verses,chapters,context, etc. for you to prove you reason for your spirituality if you ever feel you need to. In my former church in order to be saved, you must hear, believe, repent and be baptized before being saved. I love these people, and respect their beliefs. My problem was me. I would be a hypocrit to continue attending services there, when I was not in sync with a lot of their beliefs. That is not pleasing to God (accordin to blue)

Old 05-17-2007, 01:59 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,752,865 times
Also, if you were to move to say a different church in the SBC church and decide to join a church there, your previous church would send a Letter of membership to the church your wanting to join in the SBC, and they would say your joining by way of letter. Still the vote is taken in front of the church. FTR-Im in no way criticizing their methods, just stating the practices.

Last edited by arguy1973; 05-17-2007 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality