Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The importance of / reliance on God is exaggerated
Yes 9 40.91%
No 11 50.00%
Neutral 1 4.55%
I don't know 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 PM

783 posts, read 2,588,101 times

Advertisements

There is this single female family friend with no kids and a Doctorate in pharmacy (PharmD); brought up in a catholic family 2day with a salary over $100,000 who now rebuke how the parents brought them up. Joined one of these evangelistic sects; always reading the bible between work breaks, listens to evangelistic preaching downloaded to a pda..... not that l have a problem with this.

..but give me a break,
  1. Donates a minimum of $2000/month to the church.
  2. Purchases good quality things for apt and herself.

and has a problem
  1. been generous towards her own mother!! Always complaining if she is the only child to her mom. Reminding her mom that she has 3 additional kids.
  2. Her sibling is unemployed apart from temp jobs here and there for the past 2 years but when brought 2 her attention; all the sibling gets is pray to God to open your doors. Reminded of the importance of prayers via txt messages & phone calls.
Not that one shouldn't believe in God nor refute help from Him; but why have a problem giving back to one's own mom. Ok; refuse to assist your relatives because you are saving for "winter" moments. This recession is a solid excuse but why check on a poor unemployed soul; if all "you" would do is txt and call reminding the individual of the power of God.

Man!; the importance of a family now is going down the drain. When some of us including her boyfriend object to this behavior we get the following; " Mine your own business". It's sad how some families have to seek for help from strangers like "us" when one's own direct relative can't be of any help!.

Am I against this because I'm atheist; may be. What do you think?

Last edited by 2goldens; 12-09-2009 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
i think this thread would be do better on the religious forum.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:55 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,503,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i think this thread would be do better on the religious forum.
Agreed.

Even though I'm pretty apathetic towards the topic of religion, I do kind think adhering to god's power is exaggerated.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:19 PM

This is interesting; no clear winner!

Old 12-13-2009, 05:58 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,328,192 times
It would pretty much be impossible to adhere to it really. God is absolute in everything and humans by nature don't really deal very well with absolutes. While we have an understanding of absolutes in their definition and affect to some extent, our understanding of absolutes is almost always abstract and unable to completely put our finger on. Given this facet of them They always end up hinging on interpretation which of course varies from individual to individual. In other words, our understanding of them cannot be perfectly rounded and thus prone to being subjective. Which is pretty impractical to apply to the real world.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:50 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,646 times
Was her mother a good parent? I mean did she "disown" her parents because she got suckered into this evangelical dogma? Or is there some other reason she doesn't want anything to do with her mother?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Was her mother a good parent? I mean did she "disown" her parents because she got suckered into this evangelical dogma? Or is there some other reason she doesn't want anything to do with her mother?
Limiting myself to her siblings and relatives; her mom is a good parent.

The sole reason now presumably is the evangelical dogma. Who knows may be tomorrow something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality