Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:49 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Of course the Bible always associates evil and temptation with satan. That would seem to suggest that satan somehow caused things that are evil to come into existence. Genesis doesn't seem to get into the details of how satan rebelled and took a third of the angels with him although I think it mentions it elsewhere. Satan is represented as a serpent in Genesis so this rebellion happened right off the bat after God is supposed to have created the universe and all living things. Then of course Adam and Eve disobeyed God and ruined everything (yeah, like thanks Dude and Dudess for destroying my life!). Anyway, my question is this, was there a period of time according to believers in which there was no evil in the universe and was this evil caused by satan?
I'm a reader of the Urantia book and it describes, in detail, the rebellion and what happened afterward. Before the "Declaration of Liberty" (rebellion) there existed no evil on earth. If the rebellion had not happened, we would probably be in Light and Life.

There were 3 who started the rebellion against God. Satan, Lucifer and Caligastia. Caligastia was the Planetary prince at that time. I do believe none of them no longer exist.

You can read more here. Take what you want and leave the rest. if you don't believe it, it's no biggie. it is an insightful book however. PAPER 67 - THE PLANETARY REBELLION
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 09:41 AM

132 posts, read 257,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Dubious Dub wrote:

I noticed that you began your posts at least three times by stating "wrong" as though you're an expert on this subject and the rest of us are stupid. You've never clearly explained your religious beliefs and after reading your posts I'm curious about what they might be. Could you elaborate on your religious beliefs and tell the rest of us "wrong" folks what they might be based on?
I'm not basing my opinions on narrowly articulated religious teachings out of the Bible; I'm basing my opinions upon the much larger scale of actual Near East history.

As to "religious beliefs"? I was raised in the Church; and though no longer "religious" per se, I am still spiritual.

The problem that exists for most Judeo-Christianist adherants, is that they consume the Bible without taking into consideration the regional history of what was taking place in the surrounding regions. No historical context. So (for example) when one reads the passage in Isaiah about "Lucifer", they assume it's about "Satan"; even though the concept of "Satan" had not yet even been introduced into the realm of Jewish thought (this occurred some 200 years later, during the reign of the Persian Empire).

DD

Old 12-11-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Regardless, satan is an integral part of christianity. No guilt, no satan, no hell - no need for god.
And if "Satan" was merely a late-breaking concept into the whole train of thought, then what would that suggest, as far as Christianism is concerned?

DD

Old 12-11-2009, 09:50 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious Dub' View Post
And if "Satan" was merely a late-breaking concept into the whole train of thought, then what would that suggest, as far as Christianism is concerned?

DD
How about - god is not all the powerful nor does he have any worthwhile insights into the future?

Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I'm a reader of the Urantia book and it describes, in detail, the rebellion and what happened afterward. Before the "Declaration of Liberty" (rebellion) there existed no evil on earth. If the rebellion had not happened, we would probably be in Light and Life.

There were 3 who started the rebellion against God. Satan, Lucifer and Caligastia. Caligastia was the Planetary prince at that time. I do believe none of them no longer exist.

You can read more here. Take what you want and leave the rest. if you don't believe it, it's no biggie. it is an insightful book however. PAPER 67 - THE PLANETARY REBELLION
Completely non-scriptural. The Urantia was written in the mid-West during the early parts of the 20th century, and whose contents were said to have been handed down by space aliens.

DD

Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Quote:
The Latin term "Lucifer" was originally translated from the Hebrew word helel; literally meaning "the shining one". It was a planetary reference to "the morning star" Venus.

It wasn't until long afterwards that it was translated into Latin.

DD
I knew this, but thanks.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:55 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,020,382 times
You believe this whole story literally, you'll believe anything. Might not have occurred to some that these Bible stories are symbolic.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
How about - god is not all the powerful nor does he have any worthwhile insights into the future?
Would this suggest therefore that God is neither omniscient, nor omnipotent? This would seem to make sense, for "omniscience" and "omnipotence" are both humanly-created concepts, and are ascribed to God so as to fill in the gaps of reason and logic. What most don't realize is that it is impossible for "omniscience" and "omnipotence" to correlate; and that "omnipotence" is impossible in and of itself. This is why they are merely concepts.

DD

Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I knew this, but thanks.
Except you said that "the devil started with a Latin name"; whereas the term "Lucifer" originated with the Hebrew word "helel".

DD

Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Completely non-scriptural. The Urantia was written in the mid-West during the early parts of the 20th century, and whose contents were said to have been handed down by space aliens.

DD
The Urantia Book was not meant to be "scriptural". It was meant to bring information to the world that it's was ready for. It was channeled and, actually, some of the things that were put into it when it was written, didn't get discovered until very recently. It a great book for spirituality, btw.

It wasn't handed down from space aliens. I have no idea were that came from but it's false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality