Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:23 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why is Christmas celebrated on December 25th? Most people assume that it has always been a Christian holiday and that it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus. But it turns out that Jesus was not born on December 25th. However, a whole bunch of pagan gods were born on that day. In fact, pagans celebrated a festival involving a heroic supernatural figure that visits an evergreen tree and leaves gifts on December 25th long before Jesus was ever born.
Source: The Mystery Of The Pagan Origin Of Christmas: Jesus Was Not Born On December 25th But A Whole Bunch Of Pagan Gods Were

Christmas is about as authentic as Valentines Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post

I doubt there's a soul living in the US who really thinks December 25 was the birth date of Jesus, no matter how religious they are. It's not like this information was just figured out this week. I'm in my fifties, was raised Christian, and I knew December 25 wasn't actually "Jesus's birthday" when I was still a little kid.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
I found this out when I married my husband. His family is Pagan.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:40 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
Quote:
I'm with mightyqueen, you're a little late on the info. As far as being "authentic"...it's as authentic as any person wants to make it. Just like I have my own way of celebrating Christmas, I have my own way of celebrating Valentines Day.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:59 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
I think the far greater Philosophical question herein would be "Does anyone really care?" and if so, why? It seems that in America we are so fortunate to have the freedom to celebrate a holiday as we each choose . So why would someone care why or how someone else chooses to celebrate it? just a thought

Old 12-15-2009, 02:05 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
The only reason I really care is because of the endless advertising and all the holiday traffic.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:08 PM

206 posts, read 571,738 times
I made this point already on another thread.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,379 times
Quote:
Source: [url=http://unexplainedmysteriesoftheworld.com/archives/the-mystery-of-the-pagan-origin-of-christmas-jesus-was-not-born-on-december-25th-but-a-whole-bunch-of-pagan-gods-were]The Mystery Of The Pagan Origin Of Christmas: Jesus Was Not Born On December 25th But A Whole Bunch Of Pagan Gods Were[/url]

Christmas is about as authentic as Valentines Day.
You've never celebrated your birthday on a day OTHER than your actual birthday?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Quote:

Agreed. It seems Coca Cola invented the current version of Santa Claus. I can look for citation, if you want.

At our house it's a time to put pretty decorations up & give... token gifts. We're trying to make it less about gifts & more about sharing quality time together - in light of our own economy in our house.

I prefer buying gifts after Xmas, when they cost about 1/2 as much. The "Festivus for the Restofus" theory works for me. I believe we can create our own individual traditions, rather than be held to traditions that have outgrown usefulness.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:07 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times
Late! This has been discussed for years. People already know this. It is just that since it is 'traditional' to celebrate it on that day, people just figure "the heck with in" and keep doing it. It is not like anyone knows Jesus's true spring birthday anyways. It is not the day that counts, but the thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality