Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 11:29 AM

694 posts, read 1,233,744 times

Advertisements

Most people would agree that adequate grammar and language skills are a function of a good education.

As I go through threads on this forum I cannot help noticing that most aggressive, judgmental, intolerant of descent and infused with a sense of self posts are written with a poorer use of grammar and language skills.

Does a good education help one obtain a larger cultural perspective on religious beliefs and thus take things less personally?

Is a good education the answer to religious intolerance and fanaticism and the violent acts that sometimes follow them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Yes, a well rounded and quality education is the cure.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,594 times
I was commenting to my wife a couple of days ago, that I needed to develop more tolerance for those that think they saw demons, angles, hear god or abducted by UFOs.
The reason is that these people really did “see” or “hear” those things. At least as much as one would see or hear in a very vivid dream. They truly believe its real.
And unless its treated somehow, I don’t think its going to go away.

Its associated with a sleep disorder.
I’ll have to go look it up. I forgot what it was and exactly how the disconnect to reality works.

I do think that education can help many not to believe in totally outrageous things.
But there are a few strange things in life that are yet unexplained and its often fun to speculate on them.
As long as we realize its just speculation. However it can make for some entertaining sci-fi.

Last edited by Aeroman; 01-06-2010 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: And I was so hoping to marry a snapping turtle.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 PM

I like the reason for which you edited your post, Aeroman! :P

I do remember that there is some neurological explanation for visions and apparitions.
I don't see any harm in those of a religious nature, they may enforce the sense of divine presence in someone's life which in itself could be a positive occuring.

However, when religious convictions become extreme and turn into violent acts of hatred and intolerance, countless innocent people suffer the consequences.

I personally believe that a compulsory comparative religions study course in school may be beneficial to many societies. It could offer a better understanding of how much people all over the world have in common in their spiritual beliefs and aspirations.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 AM

478 posts, read 773,706 times
Well personally, I think educated people are certainly less likely to fall victim to the trappings of any fanatical or radical religious thinking- just as the more cultured, well travelled people are far less likely to be a bigot or a racist. Though there are always exceptions to the rule, higher education and extreme religious views seldom seem to go hand in hand.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
Well personally, I think educated people are certainly less likely to fall victim to the trappings of any fanatical or radical religious thinking- just as the more cultured, well travelled people are far less likely to be a bigot or a racist. Though there are always exceptions to the rule, higher education and extreme religious views seldom seem to go hand in hand.
All true. Being in touch with your conscience is a big help too.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
I think that the exceptions to the rule, as you put it, have more to do with some educated and powerful people with a hidden agenda manipulating the less educated and thus more gullible ones.

Education does help in developing a sound mind, confidence in one's own judgment, and a sense of discernment to sort through all the nonsense out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality