Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:52 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,909 times

Advertisements

When asked about religion, I prefer to answer that I'm spiritual, but not a member of any specific religion.

I believe in GOD, although I'm not sure what form this GOD takes...... and I am inclined to believe that this GOD is everywhere, the creator and hence a part of all things.

I believe in being the best person you can be every day- not just on Sundays and sometimes Wednesdays. I don't believe that I have to go to services in order to prove or express my belief.

I don't believe in a punitive GOD. I believe we are rewarded for the good that we do- not penalized for the things that we don't do. And I believe that good includes being true to yourself. I believe that good includes taking on challenges that we face in life and whether we win or lose, at the end we walk away with knowledge and understanding that we can share with others when they face the same issues.

I don't believe that GOD loves anyone more or less because they are straight, gay, divorced, black, white, christian, non christian, born in or out of wedlock. I dont' believe that GOD locks the gates of heaven because somebody has not been cleansed or baptized to rid themselves of original sin.

I believe that when we do something wrong, GOD knows if there is true remorse in our hearts- there is no need to confess our sins to anyone other than him. I believe that God judges us more upon how we deal with mistakes that we make more so than on the fact that we make them.

I do believe that GOD looks poorly upon some of the actions of his children. Murder, rape, and thievery to name just a few. But I also believe he looks poorly upon people who are judgemental, closed minded, and not accepting of other people's beliefs and natural inclinations. And I believe he is especially disappointed in people who use his name or make reference to him when they are being judgemental or unaccepting.

I believe GOD gives us our beautiful sunshine filled summer days, our fragrant, crisp autum days, our pristine winter days and our hope filled spring days. I believe he wants us to find beauty and joy in everything he has created for us- including storms, including fire, including devastation.

I think back to 9/11 and the events that brought the world to our knees. It was ugly and people wondered how GOD could have let that happen- but I can't think back to that poignant time in my life without remembering the beauty of the aftermath. An entire world pulled together for a time. An entire country grieved and recovered as one. People from all walks of life were suddenly on the same "level" if you will in the wake of this tragedy.

I don't own a bible............. I don't go to church............ I don't pray before every meal, or before I go to sleep every night. But throughout every day I have communicate with GOD........ And if I can do something to make someone's life a little bit easier, I take the opportunity to do so.

I know some people will find fault with my beliefs and with my style of "worship" but that's what spiritual means to me.

I'm curious what "Spiritual" means to others....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 02:10 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
I want to believe everything you've just said, every last thing. I mean literally. I could have written that. (Only not as well.)

These are things I believe from a logical perspective and from a humanitarian perspective. I would like to feel it in my gut, though. Do you feel it in your gut?

I do think that would be the definition of spiritual v. religious. Religious is actually defined as including rituals, under almost any definition you can find.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:00 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,909 times
I do feel it in my gut. Having been raised Catholic, I've spent the last 10 or so years trying to figure out what I believe- because I was of the impression that I had to believe something that was taught by and in a church.

While I was trying to find what I was looking for, I tried to be the best person I could be so that when I found my church/religion I would be ready to start earning my way to heaven.

One day I finally realized that I was actually practicing the most appropriate religion and ritual for me----- it just happened to be something I found in myself rather than elsewhere.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Pirate girl, a lot of the time I call myself spiritual instead of christian, I am in fulll agreement with everything you say, except that I own a lot of bibles (different translations and a lot of ancient history to help) and I do pray during the day, I also pray before I go to sleep, but usually fall asleep before I finishThat used to make me feel guilty until I read in one of Max Lucado's books where he said something about how sweet to fall asleep in the arms of Jesus. At the moment I don't attend any particular denomination but have no problem going to where ever the spirit or friend invites me. IMO christians are found in all denominations, IMO the bible tells me that we are all one church..that is christs church, which he will present to the father one day.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:04 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
When asked about religion, I prefer to answer that I'm spiritual, but not a member of any specific religion.

I believe in GOD, although I'm not sure what form this GOD takes...... and I am inclined to believe that this GOD is everywhere, the creator and hence a part of all things.

I believe in being the best person you can be every day- not just on Sundays and sometimes Wednesdays. I don't believe that I have to go to services in order to prove or express my belief.

I don't believe in a punitive GOD. I believe we are rewarded for the good that we do- not penalized for the things that we don't do. And I believe that good includes being true to yourself. I believe that good includes taking on challenges that we face in life and whether we win or lose, at the end we walk away with knowledge and understanding that we can share with others when they face the same issues.

I don't believe that GOD loves anyone more or less because they are straight, gay, divorced, black, white, christian, non christian, born in or out of wedlock. I dont' believe that GOD locks the gates of heaven because somebody has not been cleansed or baptized to rid themselves of original sin.

I believe that when we do something wrong, GOD knows if there is true remorse in our hearts- there is no need to confess our sins to anyone other than him. I believe that God judges us more upon how we deal with mistakes that we make more so than on the fact that we make them.

I do believe that GOD looks poorly upon some of the actions of his children. Murder, rape, and thievery to name just a few. But I also believe he looks poorly upon people who are judgemental, closed minded, and not accepting of other people's beliefs and natural inclinations. And I believe he is especially disappointed in people who use his name or make reference to him when they are being judgemental or unaccepting.

I believe GOD gives us our beautiful sunshine filled summer days, our fragrant, crisp autum days, our pristine winter days and our hope filled spring days. I believe he wants us to find beauty and joy in everything he has created for us- including storms, including fire, including devastation.

I think back to 9/11 and the events that brought the world to our knees. It was ugly and people wondered how GOD could have let that happen- but I can't think back to that poignant time in my life without remembering the beauty of the aftermath. An entire world pulled together for a time. An entire country grieved and recovered as one. People from all walks of life were suddenly on the same "level" if you will in the wake of this tragedy.

I don't own a bible............. I don't go to church............ I don't pray before every meal, or before I go to sleep every night. But throughout every day I have communicate with GOD........ And if I can do something to make someone's life a little bit easier, I take the opportunity to do so.

I know some people will find fault with my beliefs and with my style of "worship" but that's what spiritual means to me.

I'm curious what "Spiritual" means to others....
Thank you- you pretty much speak for me, too.

To that, I'll add one thing- many religions believe that God judges us after we die. I think that after we die, once we are freed from our bodies and our egos, we are our own harshest critics and do just fine in judging ourselves.

Thank you for this post, pirate girl.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:17 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,061 times
By saying what I am about to say, I in NO way mean to cast dispersion on anything anyone here has said...I am referring to people I know.

I do believe some people say they are spiritual because they are unwilling to come right out and say they don't believe in religion or haven't found the religion they used to be part of.

Sort of like some people say they are bisexual because they are not ready to admit they are really gay (again I know that some people really are bi, but some people use that as a half way stopping point).

Old 05-23-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
By saying what I am about to say, I in NO way mean to cast dispersion on anything anyone here has said...I am referring to people I know.

I do believe some people say they are spiritual because they are unwilling to come right out and say they don't believe in religion or haven't found the religion they used to be part of.

Sort of like some people say they are bisexual because they are not ready to admit they are really gay (again I know that some people really are bi, but some people use that as a half way stopping point).
I'll say it, then- I have no use whatsoever for religion, and I do not beileve that religion and spirituality are necessarily the same thing or intertwined.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 PM

253 posts, read 640,846 times
I think that to be spiritual is to think with your soul rather than your mind. And it's not bad, in fact it's good, but I think we need to use both our soul and mind. The mind is how we communicate with men, and this is very important, but the soul is how we communicate with God, and this is very important.

That's all there is to it IMO

Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,061 times
What I continue to find funny is people taking a word and changing its meaning, so far no one has said anything yet that is close to the actual meaning of spiritual...

Old 05-23-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
What I continue to find funny is people taking a word and changing its meaning, so far no one has said anything yet that is close to the actual meaning of spiritual...
Which would be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality