Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The argumentum ad populum is a red herring and genetic fallacy. It appeals on probabilistic terms; given that 75% of a population answer A to a question where the answer is unknown, the argument states that it is reasonable to assume that the answer is indeed A. It is logically fallacious because the mere fact that a belief is widely-held is not necessarily a guarantee that the belief is correct.

The Toyota Corolla is owned by more people in the world than any other, so in your mind that obviously makes it the best car and the one we should all drive, right?...I don't think so.
You STILL don't "get it", do you?!

I DO understand that on the basis of "Pedigree Logic and Reason", "ad pop & appeals" are technically a "logical fallacy". But ONLY a "logical fallacy"..which in NO WAY precludes their ability to discern/determine/predict reality and/or truth. I also understand that the "real world" doesn't function in such a way that "pure" logic and reason can be effectively applied, save for veeeeeery few situations.

Your analogy about the Toyota is a good illustration of my point. So sans, let's see you apply "Pure Logic and Reason" to determine the "best car"! I submit...this is the perfect example of a "real world" question whereby the application of Intuition and Perception (with ad pop & appeals taken into consideration) is the best...if not the ONLY way...to draw a conclusion or make a determination. You hip to the "concept" now?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Hip?..What are you a hippie?..The best car is the one I drive...You don't get it either... Without logic what is left? Watch this video...You use every one of these fallacious arguments...

YouTube - Rachel Maddow To Bill O'Reilly: Sticks And Stones Can Break My Bones But Facts Will Never Hurt Me

Dead rotten meat is the best food....20 billion flies can't be wrong...I'll let you know when I start believing in that or in God, but don't hold your breath.

Last edited by sanspeur; 08-31-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Having faith that what will happen? That the chair you're about to be seated in, won't kick out from under you?

Every time a person goes to plop down in a chair to sit, they have an unconscious amount of faith that chair will hold 'em.
Nope, you rely on trust not faith. You subscribe to the evidence that in 99.9% of the times you have sat on the chair it hasn't collapsed.

Trust = Believing something based on the available and proven evidence. (the evidence being that the chair usually does not collapse).

Now if it was the other way and 99.9% of the times you sat on the chair it DID collapse, then you would have to have faith that the chair isn't going to collapse when you sit in it.

Faith = Believing something is true when the evidence does not support what you believe. (The evidence is that the chair will collapse....but you have faith that it won't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
We're supposed to accept your contention that 90% of the people in the world...lie to themself...refuse to recognize logic and evidence...practice ignorance of the supportable...are absent of logic... are absent of reason...are absent of evidence...and are absent of common sense?!
In the case of god belief, sadly....yes.

“Wisdom is the lost property of the believer.”
-Muhammad

Last edited by Rafius; 08-31-2010 at 11:15 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Hip?..What are you a hippie?..The best car is the one I drive...You don't get it either... Without logic what is left? Watch this video...You use every one of these fallacious arguments...

YouTube - Rachel Maddow To Bill O'Reilly: Sticks And Stones Can Break My Bones But Facts Will Never Hurt Me

Dead rotten meat is the best food....20 billion flies can't be wrong...I'll let you know when I start believing in that or in God, but don't hold your breath.
Nope!...You still don't get it.

Without logic...what is "left", is what we use to draw conclusions and make determinations 99.99% of the time anyway...Intuition and Perception.

"Logical Fallacy" DOES NOT denote the inability to determine truth...just that the method used to come to a conclusion strayed from the confines of Pedigree Logic. Also, it doesn't hold that the alternative method could be BETTER...or the ONLY way to make a determination..

Also...even with the strict application of logic and reason...you could STILL come to the wrong conclusion.

I see your answer to "Best car?" was..."the one I drive". Since the analogy you gave made reference to a specific make and model of car...be specific as to the make and model of "the one you drive"....then explain (in detail)...how you made your choice of that make and model...and how you determined that was the correct choice, and objectively true as to it being "the best car"...strictly through the application of Pure Logic, with no other considerations. After all.."logic" is all there is, right?

Oh, and BTW...the term "hip" was never specifically associated with "hippies". Don't know why you thought so.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ahhhhhh....spoken like a true Fundie Extremist. Nice "open mind" ya got there. Has Campbell and Roman been giving you lessons? 'Fess up Raf!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:36 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Opium addicts in England used to smoke long pipes that would rest on their hips as they reclined, leaving calluses and, one would think, burn marks. Thus if you wanted to get into opium, or find out if someone else was, you asked if they were "hip."

Old 09-01-2010, 12:16 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,227 times
Everyone knows.....they believe in a form of God. The form changes as experience unfolds.

The "form" is challenged , tested, rejected, agreed upon, loved and despised over ones life.

Man does all he can to catorgorize and lock into place that which is of no place, in place.

You must try to know what you are, yourself, and then it will be clear that you always have

believed in a form peculiar to you, of God.

Be true to your thoughts , avoid nothing , accept the bad and go forward with reasonable peace.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:02 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Nope!...You still don't get it.

Without logic...what is "left", is what we use to draw conclusions and make determinations 99.99% of the time anyway...Intuition and Perception.

"Logical Fallacy" DOES NOT denote the inability to determine truth...just that the method used to come to a conclusion strayed from the confines of Pedigree Logic. Also, it doesn't hold that the alternative method could be BETTER...or the ONLY way to make a determination..

Also...even with the strict application of logic and reason...you could STILL come to the wrong conclusion.

I see your answer to "Best car?" was..."the one I drive". Since the analogy you gave made reference to a specific make and model of car...be specific as to the make and model of "the one you drive"....then explain (in detail)...how you made your choice of that make and model...and how you determined that was the correct choice, and objectively true as to it being "the best car"...strictly through the application of Pure Logic, with no other considerations. After all.."logic" is all there is, right?

Oh, and BTW...the term "hip" was never specifically associated with "hippies". Don't know why you thought so.
You are either having trouble getting your head around this - which is understandable since most people don't - I didn't myself for a long time -
or you are choosing to prefer the personal preference special pleading which is often called 'common sense'.

This is preferring to believe one's own prejudices without evidence or in spite of the evidence. As I say, this is a more common way of thinking and arguing than in accordance with the rules of logic.

But what you call 'pedigree logic' as distinct to non - pedigree logic or poor logic or 'eveybody knows' or 'common sense' or 'I don't case what you say' or 'God's logic' or 'Isn't it possible' or faith is better than science' or any of the stuff used to prop up prejudice, preference and piosity is actually as valid as mathematics. If you want to claim that 2+2 = 5 because only 'pedigree mathematics' says so, then you can.

You are far from the only person on the boards who had rejected the rules of logic apparently because they suited the atheist case rathert han the theist case. Others have rejected science, history, anything that conflicted with their faith based preferences.

You have the choice: to work with the best available methods of coming to conclusions or to reject them in favour of illogic, alternative history or non -science.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:22 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell
Having faith that what will happen? That the chair you're about to be seated in, won't kick out from under you?

Every time a person goes to plop down in a chair to sit, they have an unconscious amount of faith that chair will hold 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Nope, you rely on trust not faith. You subscribe to the evidence that in 99.9% of the times you have sat on the chair it hasn't collapsed.

Trust = Believing something based on the available and proven evidence. (the evidence being that the chair usually does not collapse).

Now if it was the other way and 99.9% of the times you sat on the chair it DID collapse, then you would have to have faith that the chair isn't going to collapse when you sit in it.

Faith = Believing something is true when the evidence does not support what you believe. (The evidence is that the chair will collapse....but you have faith that it won't).

“Wisdom is the lost property of the believer.”
-Muhammad

Spoken like a true empty vessel. Both of you.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:51 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You are either having trouble getting your head around this - which is understandable since most people don't - I didn't myself for a long time -
or you are choosing to prefer the personal preference special pleading which is often called 'common sense'.

This is preferring to believe one's own prejudices without evidence or in spite of the evidence. As I say, this is a more common way of thinking and arguing than in accordance with the rules of logic.

But what you call 'pedigree logic' as distinct to non - pedigree logic or poor logic or 'eveybody knows' or 'common sense' or 'I don't case what you say' or 'God's logic' or 'Isn't it possible' or faith is better than science' or any of the stuff used to prop up prejudice, preference and piosity is actually as valid as mathematics. If you want to claim that 2+2 = 5 because only 'pedigree mathematics' says so, then you can.

You are far from the only person on the boards who had rejected the rules of logic apparently because they suited the atheist case rathert han the theist case. Others have rejected science, history, anything that conflicted with their faith based preferences.

You have the choice: to work with the best available methods of coming to conclusions or to reject them in favour of illogic, alternative history or non -science.
Thats true enough. Confused minds produce confusion. They refuse to
follow simplistic rational thinking.

This is my point.

Rational application is a form of simplicity. Its the easy way, and is without error, relative to our placement. Mans placement within the universe dictates his
rational. All he can do is follow the logic within his placement .

Disturbed thinking scramble to invite and lure others , into the gutter of confusion. Its easily identified with multiple statements that have no
overall relevance and without purpose. Tangled without simplicity.

Some of the most difficult things to comprehend can be best explained in a
simplistic way.

Complexity and simplicity co-exist in all . An opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality