Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:15 PM

688 posts, read 2,837,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Better than that, would you be willing to get on your knees and pray to God to enter your heart so that you may believe? Heck, that wouldn't even take a full day. And then you would have so much time left to rejoice.

Ahh yes, and also, would you be willing to sincerely ask God himself if He really exists instead of asking other people the question and also argueing with people over it? Then afterwards, would you be willing to wait patiently for His answer or would you demand an answer immediately and if He didn't give you that just assume He isn't really there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 08:15 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,673,554 times
I put God on the back burner for too long to do this. He never left my side all the while I was living life to the fullest. SO, NO, I will not do this, not even for one day, not even for one second.

To do so would be to deny Him, and I cannot do that, without Him--I am nothing.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:21 PM

253 posts, read 641,034 times
Well, there's been times when I have seriously doubted, and I don't think there is any Christian who has never doubted, if they say they haven't they are not likely telling the truth. Anyways, I find that I am generally a much happier person when I accept God, I just feel more comfortable there and I think that's where I was ment to be. Sometimes I can be very sceptical of other Christians though, sometimes it seems as if they use scriptural verse in a very basic way. I just think that there is a much deeper meaning to everything that a lot of people tend to overlook, and I don't like it when people make excuses to avoid the facts either.

I think what I am trying to say is that I try to take a logical approach to things where a logical approach is appropriate, but I try to take a spiritual approach where that is appropriate, I try to introduce each to the other's habitat but make sure niether overpowers the other. If that makes sense to anybody, congradulations

Old 05-23-2007, 08:24 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
Would you be willing to put on the Atheist's glasses for a day? Why or why not?
Nope. Not possible. How do you just forget for a day you believe in God? How do you not see God's love everyday in your child's smile, laugh? all His beautiful creations? How do you forget for one day who you are?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 PM

89 posts, read 300,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Would you be willing to read the Bible for a day?
Nope. To me, the Bible is very repulsive and disgusting. I can't get around all of the mass killings and God drowning everyone who disagreed with Him.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,683 times
Quote:
Nope. To me, the Bible is very repulsive and disgusting. I can't get around all of the mass killings and God drowning everyone who disagreed with Him.
Well I guess you have your answer to your posed question.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:46 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,612,342 times
Quote:
Funny what people fixate upon. I always read that account of the flood as a joyous story of God saving someone who would permit themselves to listen to him. I never focused on the horrible fate of those who rejected him.

I could never accept your challenge either. I see too many people around me that fight life and are absolutely miserable and cannot find anyone to understand them. They reject any comfort from others and complain that life is not fair. Most of these people do not have the same peace in their lives that I have experienced in my life. I have suffered many of the same setbacks as them, but my acceptance of my circumstances is based on a faith that no matter how bad things are, there is a promise that my needs will be provided for. My faith in God provides comfort to me in times of trouble because I know that there is more to life than a single point in time.

I am not trying to preach to you or convert you, so please do not misintrepret this as such. I am simply trying to express the peace and acceptance I have in life because of my faith and the hope in the future I have because of his promises. Someone without that faith often has a difficult time in understanding this and tends to be threatened or become defensive when discussing this topic.

So, no it would not be possible for me to give that up, even for a day.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:41 PM

89 posts, read 300,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I could never accept your challenge either. I see too many people around me that fight life and are absolutely miserable and cannot find anyone to understand them. They reject any comfort from others and complain that life is not fair. Most of these people do not have the same peace in their lives that I have experienced in my life. I have suffered many of the same setbacks as them, but my acceptance of my circumstances is based on a faith that no matter how bad things are, there is a promise that my needs will be provided for. My faith in God provides comfort to me in times of trouble because I know that there is more to life than a single point in time.
I'm not miserable. I wonder why that is.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:12 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,821,403 times
Quote:
Would you be willing to put on the Atheist's glasses for a day? Why or why not?
I do all the time. I think I'm way too logical for my own good at times. But I took this question to mean could you view faith through the eyes of an atheist and question beliefs and seek answers.

Last edited by irishmom; 05-24-2007 at 06:27 PM..

Old 05-24-2007, 07:02 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,118,570 times
I tried putting on atheists glasses one time but they didn't work. They hurt my eyes because they were rose-colored, they blurred my vision and they just didn't fit right. Oh well.....

Actually, my relationship with God is day to day, hour by hour, minute to minute and I wouldn't want to miss a second of being with Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality