Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:34 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times

Advertisements

If researchers confirm their belief that homosexuality is indeed either genetic or innate due to differences in the brain when the person is born would that change your oppinion as to if the behavior is a sin or not?

I am wondering because I think it isn't a choice, I think you are born that way. So if you are born that way then God must have made you that way and it can't be a sin to be as God intended you to be.

So would it change your mind if this is proved by medical science?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:39 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
If researchers confirm their belief that homosexuality is indeed either genetic or innate due to differences in the brain when the person is born would that change your oppinion as to if the behavior is a sin or not?

I am wondering because I think it isn't a choice, I think you are born that way. So if you are born that way then God must have made you that way and it can't be a sin to be as God intended you to be.

So would it change your mind if this is proved by medical science?
I think what I think doesnt matter, I know what the Bible says about it, but I dont wanna debate that issue.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
arguy1973 wrote:
Quote:
I think what I think doesnt matter,
That seems like a strange point of view. It sounds like you're admitting if it is proven to be genetic and something that people are born with that it's still ok to tell gay people that they're sinners and need to change even if they can't.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
arguy1973 wrote:

That seems like a strange point of view. It sounds like you're admitting if it is proven to be genetic and something that people are born with that it's still ok to tell gay people that they're sinners and need to change even if they can't.
Thats not what I meant, I meant thats an issue between that individual and God, not me and that individual, Ive known several people who were gay and not once out of my mouth did I tell them they were sinners. Just like I dont want someone standing around telling me what I do wrong, cause Ill be the first to tell you I can get myself in plenty of messes. Im of the opinion that I should point them towards Chirst, not point out anything in their lives that I might thing is wrong.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Thats not what I meant, I meant thats an issue between that individual and God, not me and that individual,...
I like your position on this part. But would it still be an issue with God at all if it were proven that it is not a choice and people are born this way?

Old 05-24-2007, 11:02 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,299,474 times
According to some of my gay friends they are concerned that once its confirmed genetic that science will also find a way to screen for it during a pregnancy and soon people will be aborting babies that might be born gay...sounds far fetched to some but I believe its totally posible.

From what I have been reading it seems like it has more to do with the level of hormones in a Mothers body during the pregnancy...not actually genetic.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
According to some of my gay friends they are concerned that once its confirmed genetic that science will also find a way to screen for it during a pregnancy and soon people will be aborting babies that might be born gay...sounds far fetched to some but I believe its totally posible.

From what I have been reading it seems like it has more to do with the level of hormones in a Mothers body during the pregnancy...not actually genetic.
completely off thread but all the more reason to ban abortion--IMO of course

Old 05-24-2007, 11:10 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,510 times
Quote:
I like your position on this part. But would it still be an issue with God at all if it were proven that it is not a choice and people are born this way?
I have to ask... I have a son with a genetic disorder. I don't know that I believe that God intends for people to be born with disabilities. Now I know that this is going to start the argument that God is all powerful and that he could change the outcome if he wanted (and I believe that, too). But I think that genetic disorders, diseases, sickness or not of God. I'm not sure what the right answer here is, or how to explain what is in my heart, but I just don't believe tht a genetic disorder is what GOD planned. But in order to answer your OP directly, I (as my faith teaches) believe that the ACT of homosexuality is sinful. I however do not believe that just by being homosexual, one is a sinner.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I cant speak for God, other than what the Bible says about it. Thats an issue between that person and God, I could sit here and say it is or its not, but it wont change the struggle any more or less for a person who is gay and trying to live a Biblical Christian life.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I have to ask... I have a son with a genetic disorder. I don't know that I believe that God intends for people to be born with disabilities. Now I know that this is going to start the argument that God is all powerful and that he could change the outcome if he wanted (and I believe that, too). But I think that genetic disorders, diseases, sickness or not of God. I'm not sure what the right answer here is, or how to explain what is in my heart, but I just don't believe tht a genetic disorder is what GOD planned. But in order to answer your OP directly, I (as my faith teaches) believe that the ACT of homosexuality is sinful. I however do not believe that just by being homosexual, one is a sinner.
the last part is what i was trying to say, thanks weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality