Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:55 PM

23,024 posts, read 34,412,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Why, yes, yes I am. See, before the New Testament was written, there wasn't a book called the Bible -- there were the scriptures, the Old Testament, that is now part of a book we call the Bible. John Chapter 1 refers to both the fact that Jesus is the Word and the Word is God, so Jesus = God. It also shows Jesus praying to God saying his word (scripture) is truth. Then the other piece of scripture I included, that didn't come through on your quote, says all scripture is from God and is good. So, yes, John Chapter 1 is referring to what we now call the Bible.

Catch all of you after the Holiday

Yours In Christ.
You are correct, the Word here is Jesus, He already existed and always has. verse 14 "So the Word became human and lived here on earth among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen His glory, the glory of the only Son of the Father".

Old 05-26-2007, 06:11 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,535,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Why, yes, yes I am. See, before the New Testament was written, there wasn't a book called the Bible -- there were the scriptures, the Old Testament, that is now part of a book we call the Bible. John Chapter 1 refers to both the fact that Jesus is the Word and the Word is God, so Jesus = God. It also shows Jesus praying to God saying his word (scripture) is truth.
Some study is definitely in order. Google "greek + logos" to get started.
Quote:
Then the other piece of scripture I included, that didn't come through on your quote, says all scripture is from God and is good. So, yes, John Chapter 1 is referring to what we now call the Bible.
Why would I include the other verses? Those other verses did not use the word "logos."

(It's been my impression that misreading the translation of logos into Word, by inferring it to mean the Bible itself, is one of the main reasons we see Bible worshippers; bibliolaters, if you will.)

Old 05-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You are correct, the Word here is Jesus, He already existed and always has. verse 14 "So the Word became human and lived here on earth among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen His glory, the glory of the only Son of the Father".
Yes, the Word is Jesus, NOT THE BIBLE.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
It quite simply does.
The majority - the vast majority in most countries - of Christians worldwide accept evolution, so no, it quite simply does not.
Quote:
Don't believe me because I'm a Christian??
I don't believe you because you don't speak for all Christians. And there's this little matter of most Christians accepting evolution.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:39 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,802,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Why are people arguing about a few miniscule biblical mishaps? Heck, the mishaps might have been lost in translation too, it happens ALL THE TIME. Humans are not perfect. It just seems to me that people who try to pick the bible apart and lead people astray are wolves in sheeps clothing, with absolutely NOTHING better to do.

Whats even funnnier, is that those same people actually believe that we crawled out of primordial soup "billions of years ago". BWAHAHA Seriously, let me ask them this "were you there?" I have faith in the bible, not mankind and their GUESSTIMATIONS.
Amen, Steve-o....i couldn't agree more. Seen Johnny K. lately?!

Old 05-26-2007, 06:57 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The majority - the vast majority in most countries - of Christians worldwide accept evolution, so no, it quite simply does not.
What has majority got to do with it? Ahhh....forget it.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:07 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,895,946 times
Quote:
I don't believe you because you don't speak for all Christians. And there's this little matter of most Christians accepting evolution.
I'm not arguing this point with you. you don't believe in God with evolution or without...so what's the point for me, anyway?

Here take JerZ's words for it. Her and I have had this conversation weeks ago in other threads. Whether this 'proves' anything to you or not, nxplorer, I really couldn't care, since you don't believe in God much less Christianity. I do hope it makes Christians think again if they doubt the Genesis account of Creation. Adam and Eve must be real or else 'goop' was in the garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If you doubt Adam and Eve, then your beliefs hang on literally nothing. Because if the Fall did not happen, then what do we need to be saved from? If Satan didn't tempt, then whose influence do we fight every day? If the Fall isn't true...then Christianity makes literally no sense at all, because then there is nothing to say we really are in need of salvation.?
Now whether your so-called majority agrees with this or believes it is irrelevant. It's still true. And spoken by a non-Christian. That's so amazing to me.

<Also, can you provide me the source of your info regarding what most Christians believe?>

Old 05-26-2007, 07:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,434,858 times
Quote:
Science != atheism. Evolution does not contradict God or the Bible. The theory of evolution does not state that "we crawled out of primordial soup." Emphasizing the word "billions" is not persuasive.

(If you ever commit a crime, and are prosecuted using forensic science, try the "were you there?" defense. Good luck with that.)
Of course I wasnt there, noone was. But are you going to put your faith in a human guesstimation that the earth and everything as we know it was seriously formed by an explosion in space "billions of years ago"? Puhleeze. Its science fiction. The bible is at least a written account of earth's timeline, you can trace everything back to Adam and Eve, a little over 6,000 years ago. You should watch Dr. Kent Hovind's videos on creation vs. evolution, itll open your eyes, as it did mine.

Im not a scientist (about the furthest thing from it LOL), so bear with me. If you want the facts/info, watch his video series.

How come 2 planets rotate different directions than the others, if indeed the "big bang" was a result of a bunch of atoms spinning and spinning and spinning around until they eventually exploded? There is a physics law that states that if a object is spinning (CW or CCW, doesnt matter), and breaks apart, all resulting matter would have to continue to spin in the same direction.

Every year the earth and the moon seperate by a few yards. Its been like this since the beginning of time. If indeed the earth were "billions" of years old, we would have factually collided at one point.

Scientists use carbon dating to "guess" the age of things on earth. It is widely known (even amongst evolutionists) that carbon dating is a hoax. They carbon dated a violin that was 300 years old, carbon dating showed it to be 8,000 years old (or something like that). Heck, even the last mammoth bones they discovered, they carbon dated the body. They found one leg to be 10,000 years old and the other only 4,000. LOL

Did you know stalactites and stalagmites can grow to be several feet long in a matter of 5 years? Not "billions" like scientists would have you believe?

Or why is the oldest tree in the world only, gasp, 6,000 years old (its in California)?

A dog has never produced a non-dog. Evolution is a joke and I find it insulting to think that scientists think I crawled out of a primordial sea, as a salamander-ish creature, then developed legs and lungs, then somehow became related to monkeys and BAM! here I am!

Like I said, Im only an average Joe, so if you want more facts, visit Creation Science Evangelism - Creation, Evolution, Dinosaurs, and the Bible., or if you really want alot of valuable info, watch his video series, its amazing. He can dispell any myths regarding evolution, and has done so at MANY universities, in debates.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,039,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
What has majority got to do with it? Ahhh....forget it.
I really agree with this. A majority is not always correct. A majority of people until probably the mid to late 1960s world-wide thought smoking was relaxing and positive and may give you a cough if it was a poorly-made cigarrete. A few argued; the majority was convinced it was all fine. That didn't make the majority correct.

I do believe in evolution, but I would be very, very, very nervous about taking anyone's word for anything just based on the fact that most people thought so.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,039,040 times
Oh, should clarify...believe in evolution but am shaky on origins. The Big Bang sounds SERIOUSLY strange to me. Again...just to me. But then again, I do sort of have that "push" toward thinking divine origins in some way since I'm not an atheist. I think the case for believing or disbelieving anything about origins and about evolution of species (two separate things) is definitely colored by our basic beliefs. I mean I know someone pointed out the inaccuracies of carbon dating, and I know that in the past I've just taken it for granted that carbon dating must be correct. In a weird sort of way, that was a belief or faith on my part...that the scientists couldn't be wrong and that they had carbon dating down to, well, a science. (Yar har har.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.