Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:27 PM

598 posts, read 917,190 times

Advertisements

"spirituality" = a type of brain activity.

Anyone with a normal functioning brain is capable of "spiritual" brain activities. However, the difference is: some confused fantasies from realities; others remain rational about fantasies.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
I don't know if believe in spirits, but I think I believe in a greater plan. Almost deterministic. I don't think there was a "beginning" yet infinity is such a great concept.

When you start to answer these questions without "God" then you see that some needed to "create" the concept to wrap their brains around these questions.

I think a true "God" whatever that may mean, would laugh at all of us (in jest) at our representations of it and our true inability to understand the depth of the infinite.

That's why I see the best way of reaching that "infinite" is by personal introspection, the spark of human thought, and that is closely mirrored by the eastern traditions.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:08 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,161,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I ask this in all sincerity. I claim to be a spiritual person, because I appreciate and am deeply moved by art, music, the wonders of the world around me, the good deeds of some men and women, and the amazing confluence of events that allowed us to be here.

To others, perhaps it requires a belief in a supernatural component, something I, and most atheists, do not hold with. There's simply too much hard empirical evidence against those ideas. and so, that part, to me, is unnecessary. To others, though, it's apparently a key constituent. As in: One MUST believe in something inexplicable.

In your opinions, can a person live happily and successfully without those particular beliefs, or are those folks, like me, necessarily evil if they don't hold with the supernatural? And thus bound for a supernatural "hell"?

What say you all? Define/explain to me. Always willing to learn and discuss!
Anyone can live happily and successfully without a supernatural component... however, if a person desires increased happiness that is not supplied by beautiful sunrises and sunsets, flowers, art, music, nature... they will find it when they allow their souls to open to receive it.

Spirituality has more to do with our soul's perceptions and transformation than with what our mind experiences... however, it is our mind that benefits when we follow this path.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 AM

430 posts, read 583,444 times
I wonder if an impartial observer tasked with measuring the "spirituality" of several individuals, by whatever metrics available, could differentiate between a religious person and an agnostic and an atheist. In discussion with rifleman or OneJackson or Fullback32, could this judge determine that some suffer from a conspicuous absence in character, while others spirituality "glows in the dark" by it's powerful presence?

I'd be willing to bet that, given a thorough overview, all would be spiritual in their own way, but some might be far less structured. Is that a fault?

I also submit that emotion is a very large and necessary component of most people's spirituality. Both in terms of need as well as in expression.

Quick question: do some Christians tend to claim ownership of the term "spirituality", and don't like to see it used by atheists?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
I see no reason why spirituality should be something alien to the atheist. If the spirit, like love, art, literature, music and dance, poetry, learning and community can be comprehended and utilised without needing to be attributed to the activity or influence of any gods, why should not those emotions for things other than the purely practical be thought of as denied to the atheist, especially by atheists!

All we need to do is to be clear that the spirit, like love, intelligence, learing and free will is all down to electric sparks and releases of chemical in this soggy bod of ours and we can forget about the myths about gods, souls and disembodied conciousness, for which there is no more proof than for the loch Ness monster. And then atheist spirituality is not a problem and certainly cannot be wagged about by the theist as something which atheism lacks.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:01 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Professor, red alert!

Spiritual is derived from the word "spirit".

You don't know what you are gravitating towards

In come the usual suspects, I'm gonna see their farcical arguments on spirituality. <gets his popcorn>

Personally, I just loathe the word spiritual. A ton of hot chicks I come in contact with claim that they are "spiritual but not religious"

They just leave my banging me head on the table. They're good for the eye though. I seriously wish I had a remote so I can mute them.
Modern American spirituality must include:

Universe created in six days about six thousand years ago

Mankind's eternal fate based upon two naked teen agers in a garden with an apple and a snake

A flood that covered the earth to a level of five miles then evaporated within a few weeks

Folks turned into pillars of salt on the spot for being unfaithful

Big fish pukin' up live men

Folks surviving a furnace of fire at temperatures of 1200 degrees

Walls falling on command and the sound of a trumpet

Seas parting long enough for the good guys to escape then drowning the black hats

Ancient old men endowed with the ability to prophesy 4000 years into the future

Ten commandments(two would have sufficed) given to ancient mankind by a god which was much more like man than a god. Egotistical, Vengeful, Jealous etc. Sounds like god was created in the image of man instead of the other way 'round.

Virgin Birth

Walking on water

Water turned into wine

Leprosy healed by touching

Dead Folks Raised on the spot

Resurrection

Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Don't forget the bottom-feeder fish ingesting silver half - shekels.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Default Nice Teddy!

Two observations from the cheap seats:

First: Melvin;Too tooooo phunny! When you look at it this way, who would/could possibly believe in such stuff? Esp. when it's all conjoined together. Even if theyz spiritual, baby?

Second: Arequipa: I musta missed that one. Ellucidate pleeze. I loves a good old fashioned fairy tale, esp. before bed time. With some hot chocolate and my teddy bear!

I personally like the emotional, warm (i.e.: physiological) feelings I get when I deeply appreciate the world I observe around me. I also appreciate not contaminating it with overlain mythologies as somehow necessary for it's greater appreciation.

But if Christians must "own" the word, or want to jealously deny it to us heathens, well then let 'em have it! I'll just rename it "intelligent appreciation" and move on.

Even knowing, that, yes, it is but a shower of cascading electrical and biochemical impulses and reactions. Wow! Zing! Biff! Pop!!!

That does not in any way diminish it's impact on my "appreciation centers"! Lawdy, lawdy, I'm spiritual, brothers and sisters!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:08 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I'm not sure anyone is implying Christians own the word "spirituality", but I don't see how one can fit the traditional view of the word if you don't believe in souls or spirits. (And "I believe we have brains and sentience/sapience" isn't quite the same thing)

From what I gather the modern American view of spirituality is nothing like what Melvin says. The kind of people who believe what he says would often be skeptical of the word "spiritual person" seeing it as having New Age connotations. "Modern American spirituality" is more like

An emphasis on the value of nature and/or art

Placing a high value in kindness and sincerity

Placing a high value in the power of people's moods to effect situations or the healing process

Limiting your religious ideas to the ones you find therapeutic or comforting (Usually this does mean one or more vague supernatural beliefs)

Avoid judging others unless they are judgmental or cruel

See you later.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
the modern American view of spirituality is nothing like what Melvin says. The kind of people who believe what he says would often be skeptical of the word "spiritual person" seeing it as having New Age connotations.
Well...even though it seems to be changing 75% of Americans continue to embrace Christianity. The things I carefully itemized are required of those who believe the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.