Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:30 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times

Advertisements

I've always known that [some] Christians HAVE to believe in a young earth as I myself as one once who held such a belief. The stance was less about actual fact and more about opposing those evil, atheistic evolutionist who I believed NEEDED billions of years in their equation to make evolution work.

Of course I now realize the earth is not 6,000 years old or even 12,000 [mod[ reference meant to mock another member[/mod] What I now realize is that the literalist creationist believes his god created man within some magic week at the start of time so it is hard to believe a universe existed billions of years before our species appeared. In other words, man would be a VERY late afterthought in the mind of their deity and this can't be.

Just rambling out my thoughts.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-16-2010 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 PM

354 posts, read 749,658 times
i never thought you went from believing u were CREATED in God's OWN image and likeness to you evolving from apes..... honestly??? do you question why ... for 6,000 or 12,000 years... ANY kind of living thing has stopped evolving but just continued to sprout same "evolved" form???

Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
i never thought you went from believing u were CREATED in God's OWN image and likeness to you evolving from apes..... honestly??? do you question why ... for 6,000 or 12,000 years... ANY kind of living thing has stopped evolving but just continued to sprout same "evolved" form???
Sorry to hurt your feelings.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
I suppose I've never understood why some folks faith seems to be so contingent on it. It seems as if they were to accept what science has and continues to discover, it would completely destroy their faith. It's odd to me that they cannot see that what we have learned should increase their awe and mystery of Creator. Too many wish to keep "god" (whatever it is) in a nice neat box, so it is easily understood by them. Though many of these types will pay lip service to Creator being beyond comprehension, it is clear they do not really believe that because they use words like "I know" and then proceed to tell you all about it. When one can say "I know" with a concept like a creator, it allows them to control the show in many ways rather than the other way around, doesn't it?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I've always known that [some] Christians HAVE to believe in a young earth as I myself as one once who held such a belief.

Interesting, I was brought up by a United Methodist theologian who taught that the bible was allegorical and that for the creator, a day for a supreme deity could represent billions upon billions of years. As a result for many years the chronological errors of the Bible didn't present a problem with my "faith", although it did form an opening for generalized skepticism which in a way reenforces the OP's premise.

When faith is literal, then to bring into repute one aspect leaves open the possibility of further questioning which can and does lead to wholesale rejection, as a result the inerrancy must be guarded at all cost.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post

Humans didn't evolve from apes.

Humans are apes, specifically one of the four Hominidae; branches of "great apes".

Old 02-16-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I've always known that [some] Christians HAVE to believe in a young earth as I myself as one once who held such a belief. The stance was less about actual fact and more about opposing those evil, atheistic evolutionist who I believed NEEDED billions of years in their equation to make evolution work.
Of course I now realize the earth is not 6,000 years old or even 12,000 [mod[ reference meant to mock another member[/mod] What I now realize is that the literalist creationist believes his god created man within some magic week at the start of time so it is hard to believe a universe existed billions of years before our species appeared. In other words, man would be a VERY late afterthought in the mind of their deity and this can't be.
My bad, J.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times
Quote:

I was taught creationism in school (private christian one of course) and even then I knew the earth could not be 6000 years old... just didn't make sense. Now I also don't buy the evolution thing for the same logical reasons... why aren't there evolving animals now... No one has ever given me a satisfactory answer.. and NO "given enough time" is not a satisfactory answer..

Anyway.. I consider both before life and after death to be two things I may never know more about (well except the after death thing LOL).. so why bother trying to hash it out?

Personally I think it's a waste of time to try to figure out something that cannot be proven.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 AM

354 posts, read 749,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I was taught creationism in school (private christian one of course) and even then I knew the earth could not be 6000 years old... just didn't make sense. Now I also don't buy the evolution thing for the same logical reasons... why aren't there evolving animals now... No one has ever given me a satisfactory answer.. and NO "given enough time" is not a satisfactory answer..

Anyway.. I consider both before life and after death to be two things I may never know more about (well except the after death thing LOL).. so why bother trying to hash it out?

Personally I think it's a waste of time to try to figure out something that cannot be proven.

omg. spot on. that is the very reason i question evolution. all these observations, all these HD cams. and science has NEVER once presented a VISUAL proof of evolution as they say is occuring right this very moment. and the idiot posters here who claim they are "scientific know it alls" resort to name calling as if it will dissuade me from posting my POV. oh they understand HOW it works... lalalala. have they SEEN it happen? *cricket sound*

Old 02-18-2010, 06:47 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,747 times
What is the exact number of Ice Ages for the period of time that evolution (yes there are evolving realities through earlier Man or homo -- whatever) had no increase for articulation in tendency.

So, from the perspective of life feeding back on the naturally selecting environment (which by the way it is possible I am wrong about by the exact Nature of formalism in those strange ice age species), the highest state of evolution (the tight rope) is stupidly less than the beautiful previous contingencies.

The steady state theory, it would be, knows no Progress for the the superior generations of Losers we all are. UNless... the final evolution, the final question, the Mohammedan Freedom for All, is at bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality