Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,031,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
Well, I will break with Montana, Alpha and Brittz. I am simply against capital punishment. Period. I am ok with really harsh, long, lock-them-away-throw-away-the-key punishments for child molesters, but I will stop short of death.
I could ALMOST agree with that if it was actually a matter of making them LIVE TO REGRET IT! However, our prison system is too good for them! If they were forced into HARD LABOR (I mean HARD...not making license plates ), or if there was actually some sort of real punishment, then yeah, ok I could agree with just locking them up. But, unfortunately, our prison systems are so overloaded with repeat offenders...something has to be done! Some of the offenders know no other life than behind bars and cannot adapt to the outside world, thus end up ight back in. Life in prison is too pampered to really be punished. So they get life with a bed and 3 hots a day...Gee, these sex offenders have it better off than the poor homeless guy down the street, that has done nothing wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 01:08 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,340,259 times
I am against capital punishment for sex offenders, b/c the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Killing them with a lethal injection let's them off too easily.

In this instance I'm with the Old Testament and the law of retaliation:an eye for an eye. But that's hardly practical in modern society. The next best thing is to let them rot in a cell.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:12 PM

2,975 posts, read 13,405,967 times
You bet I have a hot button. Two things will really get me going 1) abortion - I am pro-choice 2) racism - I have zero tolerance for this.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:12 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,787,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I could ALMOST agree with that if it was actually a matter of making them LIVE TO REGRET IT! However, our prison system is too good for them! If they were forced into HARD LABOR (I mean HARD...not making license plates ), or if there was actually some sort of real punishment, then yeah, ok I could agree with just locking them up. But, unfortunately, our prison systems are so overloaded with repeat offenders...something has to be done! Some of the offenders know no other life than behind bars and cannot adapt to the outside world, thus end up ight back in. Life in prison is too pampered to really be punished. So they get life with a bed and 3 hots a day...Gee, these sex offenders have it better off than the poor homeless guy down the street, that has done nothing wrong.
Well said!!
MBG

Old 06-01-2007, 02:25 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,926,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I am against capital punishment for sex offenders, b/c the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Killing them with a lethal injection let's them off too easily.

In this instance I'm with the Old Testament and the law of retaliation:an eye for an eye. But that's hardly practical in modern society. The next best thing is to let them rot in a cell.
GOOD LORD

PHM agrees with the Old Testament!!

Get your stuff straight people, the end MUST be near!!!

LOL~~Thanks for that PHM, and I also tend to agree with you. That being said, the punishments sure don't fit the crime right now. On that we seem to all be in agreement!

Old 06-01-2007, 02:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,340,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
GOOD LORD

PHM agrees with the Old Testament!!

Get your stuff straight people, the end MUST be near!!!

LOL~~Thanks for that PHM, and I also tend to agree with you. That being said, the punishments sure don't fit the crime right now. On that we seem to all be in agreement!
LOL! I guess the end is near!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 PM

30,448 posts, read 52,167,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Hmmm....I get where you are coming from, I really do.....but making kids go to school on Christmas morning would never fly!

Dawn
How do you think I felt, having to attend school on most Jewish holidays? And now, having to use vacation hours to get the time off work? I guess I'd prefer this particular issue to be "all or nothing" - either we all get equal time off, or none at all!

Oh, and my "hot button" topics are probably gay marriage (for), equal rights, and intellectual freedom (it's a librarian thing, LOL).

Old 06-01-2007, 11:02 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,840,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How do you think I felt, having to attend school (and now work) on most Jewish holidays? I guess I'd prefer this particular issue to be "all or nothing" - either we all get equal time off, or none at all!

Oh, and my "hot button" topics are probably gay marriage, equal rights, and intellectual freedom (it's a librarian thing, LOL).
Don't you get personal holidays for work? My husband gets 4 extra days off for personal holidays...in short for Jewish Holidays because all the Christian ones are already off as federal holidays. Anyway that's how his work handles it...I'm a nurse we don't get off for anything. The public schools here close for all the major religious holidays not just Christian, but the private schools only close for the ones they recognize. But all or nothing would be good too.l

I once told a friend of mine that it was really hard to get sick around Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashanah because I couldn't get any of my doctors...she said how do you think we feel when we have to stay home because nothing is open on Christmas...LOL

Old 06-02-2007, 12:29 AM

743 posts, read 2,239,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Also, you don't have to get married in a church. It is important however, that in todays reality of same sex relationships, that they are recognized in a legal context.

I'm actually (although a liberal) morally against abortion, but I don't believe in taking away other people's right to decide whats best for them. What I can't stand are the religous right trying to enforce their moralistic beliefs on others. We are currently going through that in England as we speak. The most important thing (I feel) is that we maintain the freedoms and liberties that we seem to take for granted on both sides of the pond!
That seems a little like saying...."I'm morally opposed to slavery...I would never own a slave....but, if you want to own one, that's your choice."

Old 06-02-2007, 12:42 AM

30,448 posts, read 52,167,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Don't you get personal holidays for work? My husband gets 4 extra days off for personal holidays...in short for Jewish Holidays because all the Christian ones are already off as federal holidays. Anyway that's how his work handles it...
Yes, we get "floating holidays", and that was exactly my point... Christians ALSO get these floating holidays, so in essence, they get their holidays off AND ours! I know it comes out to equal days, but do you really think I want to spend a paid day off praying & fasting for Yom Kippur? Hey, I say we all get it off, and then we can alternate relaxing on each other's holidays. Btw, I've always volunteered to work on non-Jewish holidays (the ones we're open for), and my best friend who's a nurse does the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality