Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:25 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,116 times

Advertisements

So we just came back from our visit to Sedona, AZ and I saw the most beautiful church. It's called Church (or Chapel?) of the Holy Cross and it sits beautifully in a mountain. I believe one of Frank Lloyd Wright's apprentices built it. It was so peaceful and serene there that I was moved to tears. Anyway, that got me thinking about beautiful churches ... post 'em here if you'd like!

This is the Church of the Holy Cross in Sedona, AZ - you can find grander pictures online if you do a search for it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chapel of the Holy Cross.jpg
Views:	4134
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	3982

This was the remains of a ruined church in Macau (China). I think it would have once been a beautiful church. I can't remember the story but basically only the face of the church was saved which is what you see here.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Macau Church.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	3983
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 07:58 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,788 times
That is truly amazing!! I love architecture. How beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:22 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Those are lovely, and I enjoyed seeing the photos. The thread brings back memories of how as a child I absolutely *loved* the huge cathedrals in Germany. I especially liked an empty church. There was something so special about the quiet, the light streaming through those magnificent stained glass windows, the columns casting shadows...it felt so safe, like a real sanctuary!
('course, I had just gone through the horrors of WWII, so a sanctuary was very attractive.) Mom would often take me in - the churches were all kept unlocked then - and we would sit in the cool darkness and pray and meditate.
I realize now that a building has little to do with spirituality, but I'm still awed by them - like the national Cathedral in DC. I enjoy taking pictures of churches, sometimes just small, interesting ones off the beaten path.

Thanks for bringing back those memories!

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-01-2007 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 06-01-2007, 08:33 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,116 times
I totally agree southward ... I'm not really a religious person myself but there's just something about churches that move me. I'm glad I could bring back some fond memories for you ... hope that others may have nice pictures to share, too!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:18 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
I went to Sedona when I was 15 and I saw that church up in the Red Rocks. Beautiful place, if I must say so myself. Although I am not a churchgoer there are still many wonders of history and architecture that are very soothing to the eyes.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:40 AM

634 posts, read 2,921,986 times
Some of the most beautiful churches are in England, South Korea, France, Spain, Lebanon, and Syria.

Middle Eastern churches are beautiful!

I live in England currently and there are so many beautiful cathedrals.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:26 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
I live in England currently and there are so many beautiful cathedrals.
I have seen some of the churches in England, both big and small. I went to wedding in a church in the north of England. It was small and very charming. I also enjoyed seeing St. Paul's Cathedral and others.

The small churches of New England that dot the hillsides and valleys are very special in their own way. Not always impressive in architecture, and not always massive, but very inviting.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:14 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
I always thought the Boston Avenue Methodist Church in Tulsa was really beautiful.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/BostonAvenueMethodist.jpg (broken link)

And then there's the First Methodist Church, also in DT Tulsa.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:29 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
I've seen the church in Sedona and the one in Macao in person and they are very beautiful. Some of the best architecture in the world is unquestionably churches and cathedrals. I've seen a number of them in Europe and when you consider the fact that they were built before we had electricity and power tools it's absolutely amazing what the builders created. While I like many of the modern designs I don't think that any of them could compare with some of the cathedrals in France and elsewhere that were built hundreds of years ago. The intricate detail and stone carvings are unmatched to this day.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:32 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,420 times
I love going to see beautiful churches. The ancient European cathedrals are truly awe inspiring constructions. The temples in Thailand are also grand in their own way. Religious architecture is really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality