Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why are the masses religious?
Fear and guilt induce people to follow like sheep. Good old fashioned brainwashing. 7 15.56%
Most people actually love their religion and the beliefs. 3 6.67%
People are way too lazy to question their religion. 2 4.44%
Group-think and culture. It is just the way we are raised to be and think. 17 37.78%
I have other answers that I think are far more appropriate. 16 35.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Religion often places a lot of shame, fear, restrictions, and control onto people's lives.
Why do you suppose they are religious and stay religious instead of deviating and being independent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Because people are social creatures. They align themselves into groups naturally. A group is only a group because it differentiates itself from others, and to be "in" on the group you have to jump through that particular group's hoops. But once you are in you get friendship, support, a sense of belonging and a social safety net should things go bad in your life.

Religion actually serves a logical, practical purpose. People don't go just for the wafers and comfy seats.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
All of the above. Three of the choices are too much alike.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Oh, you mean collectivism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Because people are social creatures. They align themselves into groups naturally. A group is only a group because it differentiates itself from others, and to be "in" on the group you have to jump through that particular group's hoops. But once you are in you get friendship, support, a sense of belonging and a social safety net should things go bad in your life.

Religion actually serves a logical, practical purpose. People don't go just for the wafers and comfy seats.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
bek a shotgun sounds like a really pointless item to have around, until the day you gota use it. after that happens you stop questioning.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Oh, you mean collectivism.
Not really. Collectivism is the whole Spock thing from Star Trek: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

Individuals sacrifice for the collective.

But individuals DO benefit from religion, especially in the ways I mentioned above. If you define religion in terms of purely "give vs get", you would see you "get" more than you "give" when you embrace it. Therefore, religion makes sense, at least from an evolutionary perspective. Of course, that doesn't make it true, but don't you do the same thing every time you spend a dollar? A dollar is fiat currency, based on nothing and is only valuable as long as people believe it is valuable.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
It is a genetic flaw which makes some individuals susceptible to myths, and acceptance on blind faith. I am hoping for a mutation or vaccine which will correct the problem or prevent it from taking otherwise intelligent people down an “Alice In Wonder Land” path controlled by something much worst than a mythical evil witch.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:52 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,817 times
Everyone has a world view/opinions about God, creation, life after death, the supernatural etc.

So, irrespective of the semantics involved in defining the word "religious," everyone is involved in religion to one degree or another. It's all part of being human.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
Define Religous

I religously brush my teeth
I always hold a door open
Does the belief have to have a god involved?

Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 AM

354 posts, read 749,590 times
hmmm. okay lemme mash your choices accdg to my OWN religious experience, once upon a time, i was born and raised to be a catholic. So, since my country is 98%(?) catholic, i belong to the - Group-think and culture. It is just the way we are raised to be and think people.

and as i reach my teen age years i am a devout catholic and i must say it is due to me being included in this group - Fear and guilt induce people to follow like sheep. Good old fashioned brainwashing. in defense to myself. i follow because i wholeheartedly believe in my faith and that is HOW i know how to serve God. i don't think i was brainwashed as up to now even though i loathe the scandals the priests and nuns got themselves into. i am still gonna be happy to die a catholic. these hypocrite priests and nuns DEFINITELY does not define my faith. God does.

up to my college years, i belong here - Most people actually love their religion and the beliefs.

after college, i went to R&P thread of CD and realize, i belong here - People are way too lazy to question their religion. in defense to myself.... i am just way too lazy. too lazy for me to even go to church actually. i even tried to educate myself to other religions and got wuzzy. i just made up my mind and decided to stick to my belief in God, the way i understand it. i found out anyway that diff religions just have diff interpretations of the bible and how to practice their religion but they ALL have same essence, Jesus. so why change my "rituals" i mean that is the very reason i question my faith. i got tired of ALL the chores. so, i definitely am a non practicing catholic now and am very happy.

I have other answers that I think are far more appropriate - you betcha. i am happy to understand other believers POV of their faith and most especially the non believers. i used to see them as freaks. and who are these non believers kidding? in the REAL world, they are viewed as freaks and are a minority. so i am surprised there seem to be so many of them here. which i understand coz they can't behave like that in the REAL world. and they thought the same as i do with them?! what a shocker! ultimately it is all in the mind. i respect one's belief coz their mind is not mine and their perception of things is not mine. to judge them or even attempt to change their mind, is foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality