Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:31 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that there's a few people who really get worked up about particular topics that fall within the realm of religious belief or ethics. I'm wondering what some of yours are. This would be something that you feel so strongly about that there's no room for compromise. As you know I'm not religious and my hotbutton issue is more of an ethical and moral issue. What troubles me more than anything else in society is the fact that even though the great majority of citizens are decent and law abiding we still allow child predators the freedom to have more and more victims. When they are caught their sentences are often ridiculously lenient and soon they're out on parole and they're doing it again. If we're a just and free society how can we allow this to happen? I believe that when an individual molests a child and is convicted that the death penalty should be an alternative for the jury to consider. I don't believe these individuals can be treated and that has been shown time and time again. I would also remove the statute of limitations for the crime of rape as a few states have done.
Ok, my issues weren't directly related to religion but I'm sure that many of yours are. What are your hotbutton issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 04:44 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
What troubles me more than anything else in society is the fact that even though the great majority of citizens are decent and law abiding we still allow child predators the freedom to have more and more victims. When they are caught their sentences are often ridiculously lenient and soon they're out on parole and they're doing it again. If we're a just and free society how can we allow this to happen? I believe that when an individual molests a child and is convicted that the death penalty should be an alternative for the jury to consider.
I opposed the death penalty in 99%+ cases, but the crimes you site are the one where I'd be willing to consider it. I can't imagine a more heinous crime.

One thing I will say regarding the death penalty though: If a judge or jury sentences someone to die, then that judge or jury needs to pull the switch. Personally. If you don't have the guts to do that, then perhaps the person doesn't deserve to die. Death by uninvolved-third-party-paycheck seems beyond inhumane to me.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:57 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I opposed the death penalty in 99%+ cases, but the crimes you site are the one where I'd be willing to consider it. I can't imagine a more heinous crime.

One thing I will say regarding the death penalty though: If a judge or jury sentences someone to die, then that judge or jury needs to pull the switch. Personally. If you don't have the guts to do that, then perhaps the person doesn't deserve to die. Death by uninvolved-third-party-paycheck seems beyond inhumane to me.
Mark I kind of like your take on the jury being the executioner. I like that idea because it makes sense. If you're willing to deem someone worthy of death than you need to flip the switch.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:00 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
My hot button issue is WHAT I VIEW as a patriarchal religion trying to keep women from being equal and doing the bible and god to do that.

I of course can't speak for all religions but the one I was raised in certainly is quilty of this...

Old 05-31-2007, 05:07 PM

Let me clarify a few things about my personal hotbutton issue. We're always finding cases where someone's been in prison for years and then suddenly they proven innocent by DNA. I would also like to see a change in how the death penalty is used. I don't think it should be common like it is in Texas and I do think it's possible that we may have executed people who are innocent. I think there should be another level of guilt that is beyond a reasonable double when we're talking about the death penalty. It needs to be set at a much higher level and include more than eyewitness testimony which is notorious for being wrong. My point is that the molestation of children needs to be looked at as a much more serious crime than it is today and the death penalty would be appropriate in many of these cases in my opinion.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:09 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Default My hot button issue

My hot button issue is abortion. (against it, just for the record.)

And btw, MG, are you just TRYING to stir up trouble today?! LOL

Last edited by kaykay; 05-31-2007 at 06:27 PM..

Old 05-31-2007, 06:26 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
My hot button issue is abortion. (against it, just for the record.)
I'll agree with that!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:39 PM

kaykay wrote:
Quote:
And btw, MG, are you just TRYING to stir up trouble today?! LOL
Moi? I do enjoy a spirited debate though and I expected more hostility to my own hotbutton issue than I've gotten. Most liberal types and atheists would probably oppose an addition to the candidates for the death penalty as I've suggested but I'm ready to put up a pretty good argument if I have to.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:49 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
I am all for the death penalty IF the person has been found guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. Some of these murders, rapists, pedophiles on death row have even admitted to there crimes. Send in the firing squad!!! There was even one instance (can't remember when it was) that one man even asked for the death penalty over and over! He could not get it.....This is insane.
These bleeding heart liberals along with the ACLU are all for giving women the choice to murder their innocent unborn but let a convicted #$% ask for the death penalty? Oh he must be mentally unstable. Why would anyone want to give up their own life???

Old 05-31-2007, 07:26 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
My hot-button issue is same-sex marriage (support), and really anything regarding separation of church and state (support). I'm one of those that would have Christmas removed as a federal holiday, which I mention just to show how far I take the issue (since I'm usually all alone on that side of that debate!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality