Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:10 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,356,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It's the Trinity, God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit. There is only ONE God.
Maybe you can explain the one God, three persons Trinity thing. I've never quite grasped that concept. Does it matter that when God said that to Adam, Jesus (the son) hadn't even been conceived yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM

598 posts, read 919,268 times
There are two groups of people in any religion:

1) Those who use religion to control others;
2) Those who are controlled by others through religion.

"us" referred to 1) above.

The person(s) who wrote the Bible were obviously from group 1) above. But, they naturally preferred most people in group 2) -- the dumbed down, religiously brainwashed vast majority of mass.

The most important thing to a religion is "controlling". "Dumbing down the mass" then became the number one priority. "The original sin" naturally equates "knowing right or wrong".

Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 PM

23,032 posts, read 34,467,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Maybe you can explain the one God, three persons Trinity thing. I've never quite grasped that concept. Does it matter that when God said that to Adam, Jesus (the son) hadn't even been conceived yet?
Many Scripture support the teaching of the Trinity. The doctrine of the Trinity means that God is three persons and yet one in essence. John 1:1 In the beginning the Word already existed. He was with God, and He was God".

The Word is Jesus.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,239,819 times
So Jesus is the Flesh containing God "the Truth", and God the Holy Ghost...
US?...Jesus proclaims he is sent By the Father God...into Death...to resurrect back to life those who are compliant to God's word, and will...God's word (Jesus) God's will (Edens being the multiple of Eden)

or prehaps All Life that went into our making is with God standing beside him in many different forms in alliance = (The Kingdom of God)...And God is talking to them (other life forms, arkons, powers, and principles) who helped him make Humans?...thus they know our sin, and our evils...and hence we show them that we only care about ourselve first.

For further on into the scripture...God says: At the time of the flood, man had become very wicked. "Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his (theirs) hearts was only evil continually. The Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. The Lord said, 'I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them'" (Gen. 6:5-7).

Can we change that ideal?

Oh look God is giving us a second chance...after the flood...with some animals and other living things.....wonder why?...US is with them all...perhaps?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
It is simply the Divine Council - other created beings that God delegates authority to. They surround his throne in heaven - it is like a council meeting. It is not the Trinity. These being all share the image of God as man does. These beings are in the category of elohim but they were not all-powerful, all-knowing, nor did they create the heavens and the earth and therefore they are not to be worshiped, only YHWH was worhty of worship.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,571,012 times
Quote:
In Genesis 3-22, before God kicks Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden for eating the fruit of a tree and gaining knowledge and wisdom, God says, "the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil."

Who is this "us" that God is referring to? Are there other Gods besides him? Are there many Gods that roam around heaven?
What this cannot refer to is a 'trinity', not merely a concept that is a technical impossibility disguised by chronic semantic conditioning, but a polytheistic one that the Israelites and Jews could not possibly have accepted. They had it thoroughly impressed upon them by Moses and the prophets that there is just one deity; anyone who reads Scripture should bear that in mind to the very last word of Revelation. Muhammad's Qur'an used 'we' when its deity spoke, and no-one could imagine that Muhammad's followers are trinitarians. Besides, we have the image of God (singular) walking in the garden with Adam and Eve, a factor that seems to get forgotten.

At any rate, even the most enthusiastic Trinitarian scholar does not use this text in evidence for a trinity, because there are three other explanations possible. It might be cited as incidental corroboration for a trinity already claimed to be proven from the NT (unjustifiably, too), but not as direct evidence.

In Gen 1:26, God says "Let us make man in our own image." This may indeed be God talking to others in his presence- the heavenly court, perhaps, as mentioned in Job and other places. However, the word for deity here is itself in plural form, and this may be an indication of something more significant. This verse could indicate the deity addressing himself, a 'plural of deliberation', as if here was a decision that needed particular thought. If so, this usage has other instances in the OT, and it is the interpretation most followed by scholars today. Though it may also be the pluralis majestatis of Oriental languages- the royal plural.

In either of these last two cases, the importance of the decision may be what our attention is called to. Here is the deity making a decision to create mankind, a decision utterly different in kind from creating what has been made before. It's a decision that he knows will involve sin and atonement- the taking of the blame for the sins of all- so it is the most momentous decision ever made by anyone. If there is ever a case for the royal, noble plural- or for agonising deliberation, it is here. There may be a foretelling of Gethsemane in this.

In Gen 3:22, the usual translation is as above- "the man has become like one of us." Now the 'us' by itself has no necessary difficulty; as we have seen, there are three reasonable possibilities; but the 'word 'of' is here perhaps a difficulty, because it implies plurality of deities. If the word 'us' really means 'me', it makes no sense to say that "the man has become like one of me." The meaning must be, if this is true rendering of the text, that God referred to others beside himself- the heavenly court, one may suppose.

But this 'of' may be a mistranslation, not a true rendering of the text. The Hebrew word translated 'of' may actually mean 'as well as', or 'with', the sentence then reading "the man has become as one (another) with us." Or, more really, "the man has become another like me."

When the serpent spoke to Eve in Gen 1:23, he said that 'you will be like God'. This can also mean, 'you will be as gods,' as indeed ancient English translations put it, and perhaps one needs both renditions to get a full understanding. In Psalm 82:6, God says, "I said, you are gods," and Jesus the lowly carpenter, Immanuel, quoted this to the Jews in John 10:34.

Are there many gods that roam around heaven? No, they roam around the earth, and the internet, knowing good and evil, making momentous decisions about their eternities.

Last edited by shibata; 03-02-2010 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,165,530 times
Quote:
Who is this "us" that God is referring to? Are there other Gods besides him? Are there many Gods that roam around heaven?
Read the creation story in the texts of the Enuma Elish and you'll have your answer. There were many Gods involved. The Hebrews borrowed heavily from these more ancient Sumerian/Mesopotamian myths and had to do some quick editing & retconning when their masters took a que from the Egyptian Aten cult and decided it was easier to rule the commoners through the voice of one God rather than dozens.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,571,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Read the creation story in the texts of the Enuma Elish and you'll have your answer. There were many Gods involved. The Hebrews borrowed heavily from these more ancient Sumerian/Mesopotamian myths and had to do some quick editing & retconning when their masters took a que from the Egyptian Aten cult and decided it was easier to rule the commoners through the voice of one God rather than dozens.
The Aten was inspired by Yahweh jealousy, of course.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,320,093 times
Quote:
Well, we know that the us that God was referring to is not angels, because we are not created in the image of angels.

We were created in the image of God. Read

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

So, when God said let us make man Genesis 1:26, He wasn't talking about angels, The Father was speaking to Jesus and the Holy Spirit. God is not three different gods, God is one God.

People get confused by this concept, but I look at it this way. God is powerful and created something out of nothing. So, why is it hard to understand or believe that God can be three in one.

I am not talking about three separats person, I am talking about One God being The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit.

I can't compare a perfect example, but here is one. I am a aunt, sister, daughter, but I am still one person. Now I do realize we can't fully place an example on the scale as God.

Look at the egg. I get that the shell, white, and yoke are all parts of ONE egg, but they are all SEPARATE parts of one egg. You have one egg that consist of differents parts, but you still have the same, one egg.

Look and read what Isaiah saw and heard: Isaiah 6:1-8

Isaiah says that He saw the Lord sitting on a throne high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple. Now God allowed for Isaiah to see Him, in a form that Isaiah could see.

Then as we read on down in verse 8, it says that Isaiah heard the voice of the Lord, and He said, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us. So, we already see that God said that we are made in His image, when He was talking about the us in Genesis, and we see the us again.

Isaiah said He saw the Lord, not Lords. He didn't see three different gods, He only say one God, speaking and saying us. The Father is not speaking to Jesus and the Holy Spirit out side or beside Him. The Father is speaking to Jesus and the Holy Spirit within Himself, because The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit is one God.

Jesus and the Holy Spirit were always in the Old Testament. No one has seen God the Father at anytime.

People also get mixed up and confused because they don't know or understand what the bible is saying. First, people will read a scripture where God was seen, and then will read another scripture that says that God was never seen.

Instead of people researching what is being said, they attack the bible and say that the bible is false, because they don't know or understand who was seen.

No, one has seen God the father. When we read that God was seen and not seen. We have to understand what is being said, and who was seen. The accounts of God being seen in the OT are accounts of Jesus and the Holy Spirit being seen, not the Father.

When you say that Jesus was not conceived yet, that is not true. Jesus was always there. Jesus was begotten from the Father in the New Testament. The word does not mean created. Jesus was the only one of His kind, meaning God in flesh. Jesus was always there.

There was nothing made without Jesus, so He had to have been there in the beginning to create things in heaven and on earth.

Look at what God said in the Old Testament.

Isaiah 44:24

Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, and the one who formed you from the womb,
“I, the Lord, am the maker of all things,
Stretching out the heavens by Myself
And spreading out the earth all alone,

Now look at

Colossians 1:16-17 This is speaking about Jesus. So, if a person denies that Jesus created anything, then they are going against the bible. God said He created all things by Himself, and now we see that Jesus created. Only God can create anything. So, a person can deny, but scripture never lies.

"For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created by Him and for Him. 17And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."

If you would like we could research and study this concept if you would like to get more information. It is always good to study the scripture for yourself to get a better understanding. So, if you simply want to just have someone to research and study with, I don't mind. I enjoy researching and hearing things from other people's perspective.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 03-02-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,191,712 times
Quote:
In Genesis 3-22, before God kicks Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden for eating the fruit of a tree and gaining knowledge and wisdom, God says, "the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil."

Genesis 1-3
The idea that you would make a garden with a tree of knowledge that people are forbidden to eat from is just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality