Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:18 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,165,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our connection with God is NOT through our sensory system.
That will come as news to Abraham, Moses, Joseph, Mary, Saul and Mohammad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 PM

33,633 posts, read 37,294,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well, Sanspeur, and smh1, to my way of thinking the anthropomorphic and ethnocentric nature of the depictions of gods is more than telling. I suppose one could argue that god revealed itself in a manner most acceptable to the local inhabitants, of course that assumes that god(s) waited for quite sometime, allowing for those cultural distinctions to give rise before introducing itself which is also highly dubious.
Or you could assume, as I do that all gods are inventions, otherwise there would at least be some consistency between them....The gods of isolated cultures in no way resemble each other, nor do they resemble the "mainstream" god worshiped by more developed cultures.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 PM

206 posts, read 417,974 times
Me personally, I am not an atheist. But I don't believe in any particular God or Goddess either. I just file it in the unkown category-because I don't know. Sort of in the nether world. When I was growing up, I was highly religious, so realize how easy the world is when it seems to be black and white . When everything is known and absolute. When the wrongs of this world can be explained away by being rewarded in eternity or some such or bad people meeting their punishment later. You take that away and life does not make sense-well as in it does not fit any concept we can think of.

Of course now I enjoy being in the unkown-it is rather refrshing and makes you feel like a kid again.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM

310 posts, read 591,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Link won't work, Balvenie.
Thanks. I think I fixed it. Hope so anyway

Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,840,770 times
Buddhism,Islam,Hinduism, and Confucianism are branches from the same tree. All monotheist are concurrent. Without contact. just scratch below the surface and you can see. here is an example of Buddhism.

6-days of Creation {6 realms of suffering}
7-day of rest {nirvana}
8-day of circumcision, Resurrection {Noble 8 fold path}
At the hub of each Wheel is the Trinity.
Body-{Right action}Virtue
Soul-{Right thought}Wisdom
Spirit-{Right focus}Discipline

Old 08-11-2014, 08:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,260,740 times
Judaism, Christianity and Islam all originate within a very concentrated portion of a blazing desert region in the middle east.

So, my theory is sunstroke.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:37 PM

5,176 posts, read 4,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No, it simply means that all humans everywhere feel a need to explain the unknown in order to lessen or alleviate the fear of such.....Thus the invention of gods.
not to mention global warming ...

Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 PM

888 posts, read 456,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
However, the fact that ALL cultures DO HAVE such reported contacts or beliefs is consistent with God's existence.
I used to think that the presence of god(s) in most or all cultures was evidence of god's existence, but not anymore. That was when I was trying to rationalize reasons to continue believing. I didn't think different cultures having different ways to describe god was a problem. It seemed to me that with our knowledge of how culture works, different religions could admit it was precisely because of their different cultures that they developed different religions. Then they could come together and agree on the existence of god and to leave each other alone to practice their own beliefs. Of course, this would have also had the potential for peace... It all seemed so simple.... What wishful thinking...

Eventually I decided that if there really were a god, something would have happened to stop religion from being such a source of conflict. There were lots of other things that made me walk away, such as hypocrisy, unbelievability of narratives one had to accept on faith, how religion is used to control people and their bodies, just to name a few examples.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:58 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,415,906 times
The OP's question can be answered thusly: an idiosyncratic (in its monism) and ethnocentric tribal religion, focused on the worship of a storm god, splintered into different sects and spread mostly by force.

Whether any of the gods of the religions of 'the people of the book' is the 'true' and real god or not, the simple reality of the broader revelation of these gods is stated above.

It's more likely that your entire belief system and worldview is simply a product of your geographic location and exposure to a particular religion that happened to dominate in that location rather than an actual revelation of truth. But believe what you will. I wouldn't aspire to take someone's religion away from them until it proved to be intolerant of other religions or people.

A better question, instead of the one that wonders why 'god' is only revealed locally, is why does your worldview omit the fact that your entire perspective of the universe and its god is simply a single perspective amongst hundreds of other tribal perspectives that might posit the same thing about why their god was only revealed to them?

Old 08-11-2014, 11:21 PM

5,176 posts, read 4,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
The OP's question can be answered thusly: an idiosyncratic (in its monism) and ethnocentric tribal religion, focused on the worship of a storm god, splintered into different sects and spread mostly by force.

Whether any of the gods of the religions of 'the people of the book' is the 'true' and real god or not, the simple reality of the broader revelation of these gods is stated above.

It's more likely that your entire belief system and worldview is simply a product of your geographic location and exposure to a particular religion that happened to dominate in that location rather than an actual revelation of truth. But believe what you will. I wouldn't aspire to take someone's religion away from them until it proved to be intolerant of other religions or people.

A better question, instead of the one that wonders why 'god' is only revealed locally, is why does your worldview omit the fact that your entire perspective of the universe and its god is simply a single perspective amongst hundreds of other tribal perspectives that might posit the same thing about why their god was only revealed to them?
Ah, but what if God reveals Himself to all of us all of the time? What if we are unable to understand what He is telling us due to cultural milieu, cultural restrictions?

Do you really think Mozart would have been able to create the music he did if he had been born in Borneo 5000 years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality