Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:07 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,569,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
We all have to have faith in something.. I don't see anything in your post that really proves otherwise.
My post was about the OP. That's why. Why skeptics have to gatecrash so much is a mystery in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,444,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Hundreds of thousands of years ago, Neanderthals built altars and conducted funeral ceremonies. This proto-religious behavior shows that as soon as hominid brains got big and complex enough for mind to arise, we began to wonder about the mysteries and problems of existence, and found some resolution in religious story and ritual.

Our brains are wired for liturgy | National Catholic Reporter
So, Neandertals, made weapons, tools, buried their dead in caves, had religious ceremonies and altars just like modern hominid, and in fact are buried along side modern hominid. I think we need to throw out the fact that these are nothing other then just humans and not throw-backs to some uncontinued lineage.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,792,518 times
So, what's wrong with those people who really don't believe in any such mumbo jumbo such as gods? Gene defect? Mental illness?

It might well be that Neanderthals had similar brains and thoughts, but does it mean that religion has more of a foundation, just because Neanderthals fell for mumbo jumbo, too?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
had religious ceremonies
Catholics wish.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So, what's wrong with those people who really don't believe in any such mumbo jumbo such as gods? Gene defect? Mental illness?

It might well be that Neanderthals had similar brains and thoughts, but does it mean that religion has more of a foundation, just because Neanderthals fell for mumbo jumbo, too?
Who's the gullible one? A Catholic publication says that Neanderthals had verbal ritual, and you believe it?

What is the world coming to?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,792,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Who's the gullible one? A Catholic publication says that Neanderthals had verbal ritual, and you believe it?

What is the world coming to?
I have always thought that Neanderthals were just as highly developed as us, so I have no problem with such findings...

Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have always thought that Neanderthals were just as highly developed as us, so I have no problem with such findings...
So if the Catholics said that prehistoric H. sapiens had verbal liturgy, you'd believe it.

Oh dear.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM

9 posts, read 9,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
So if the Catholics said that prehistoric H. sapiens had verbal liturgy, you'd believe it.

Oh dear.
Man what is your problem with Catholics?
Its perfectly reasonable knowing what the Neanderthals where that they had ceremonies.
Your problem is with the Catholics and its ridiculous to think because you have a problem with a group of people that you would automatically reject a finding because of it.

That's pretty shameful

Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,886,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Well, everyone has to have a Faith in something.
I have great faith in my ability to grow a great garden. I have faith that, when I go to the Outer Banks of N.C. I will catch good fish. I have great faith that, when Deer Hunting, I can shoot and kill my prey with one shot at ranges between 250 and 600 yards. I also have faith in my abilities to cook deliciously those things that I grow, hunt, or fish for. Any questions?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vius View Post
Man what is your problem with Catholics?
I don't have any problems, dear Vius. People who accept religious interpretations from religious vested interests without scrutiny might have problems.

Quote:
Its perfectly reasonable knowing what the Neanderthals where that they had ceremonies.
How is it that posters use the word 'reasonable' but don't then provide a reason? It's the sort of thing one might expect from a religious vested interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality