Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:35 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,664,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
I thought Buddhism was a philosophy not a religion?
Much like Taoism - divorce it from the trappings of religion and what remains is a philosophy. I believe most religions were first a Way of Living, a philosophy, then morphed into religions proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,081,677 times
there are even 5 forms of Zen.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM

13,495 posts, read 18,263,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
This is what I thought but I have no real knowledge to back up as I have not studied. I would like to study the teachings of Gotama Buddha, without the religious aspect.

I don't believe in heaven, hell or reincarnation in an after life. However I believe in reincarnating here on earth in the sense of changing who we are or reinventing ourselves.

Would you happen to know where I can get a hold of the teachings? Thanks and in the meantime I'll search.
Given what you have said above, I would make this suggestion. A book that you might find interesting as an orientation is Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist by Stephen Batchelor.

It is in large part a biography of his experiences over many years in several Buddhist traditions, and his ultimate move in the direction indicated in the title. There is, however, in the last two-thirds of the book a great deal of biographical material about the Buddha's life and teaching career. I should point out, there is not a lot of introductory type material on basic teachings, but the skew of the books is more about the author and the Buddha as people, so this is not an obstacle for someone who does not have this knowlege under their belt. I really think this would be an excellent place to begin.

Batchelor has written other books, he used to translate Tibetan and Zen material so he is no slouch. Two books of his which might interest you are: Buddhism Without Beliefs and Alone With Others. Both of these are available in paperback editions.

The first book I mentioned may at the moment only be available in hardcover, but nowadays the paperback versions usually follow quick on the heels of the hardbacks.

A superb biography of the Buddha, but it may still be out of print and available only in used bookstores - which also treats on the teachings - is The Historical Buddha by H.W. Schumann. It is, in my estimation worth searching for, and it is in paper.

The classic introduction to Budda's teachings has been and remains, What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula. It is thorough, though many people find the author's sometime non-parenthetical use of foreign language terms a distraction. Nevertheless, it is a mini-course in itself of basic, conservative, orthodox Buddhism, and it will remain a great reference to jump back to no matter what direction you strike out in afterwards. I believe there is a new edition of this book in paperback....it has been through a zillion printings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality