Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 PM

310 posts, read 591,151 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in just how this sin is committed. Yes, I know Matthew says it is "blasphemy against the holy spirit" but what exactly does that mean? And why just the holy spirit? Why not jesus and god too? Has anyone that rejects christianity committed unpardonable sin? What about atheists?

Inquiring minds are curious as to your interpretation of this matter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 02:53 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,880,600 times
I'm sure many would argue it's turning away from your religion, but I would understand it as knowing god (meaning you litteraly walk and talk with the guy) and then turn against him.

Obviously, that wouldn't happen very often...

Old 03-10-2010, 02:57 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,570,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
I'm interested in just how this sin is committed. Yes, I know Matthew says it is "blasphemy against the holy spirit" but what exactly does that mean? And why just the holy spirit? Why not jesus and god too? Has anyone that rejects christianity committed unpardonable sin? What about atheists?

The Holy Spirit convicts of sin. To tell the Holy Spirit that one is not a sinner, or to refuse to repent, means that forgiveness cannot be appropriated. Refusal to accept the gospel is the unforgivable sin. All other sins have been forgiven.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,846,710 times
Exclamation No i isn't a sin.

Quote:

Scandal against the values of opening up friendship OR trusting the the powers that Be. That's sin. It causes the remaining flock to sin with or about you.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,120,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm sure many would argue it's turning away from your religion, but I would understand it as knowing god (meaning you litteraly walk and talk with the guy) and then turn against him.

Obviously, that wouldn't happen very often...
It's really weird reading that coming from you, Chango. Did you know that's you've essentially described the LDS belief on the subject?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 PM

680 posts, read 1,387,247 times
As a non-Christian who doesn't believe in the Christian concept of sin, I nevertheless have a sense of what "unpardonable sin" might be in my own case. It would be to live in conflict with my own insight of the nature of the way things are. The aspect of being "unpardonable" doesn't mean that there is some entity that sits in judgment of me, doling out pardons or meting punishment, but rather it is a karmic law of existence. By choosing to live in ignorance I generate suffering and the conditions that lead to future suffering. This is the opposite of living in a state of grace. It is a life of "unpardonable" karmic misery perpetuated by delusion.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,880,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's really weird reading that coming from you, Chango. Did you know that's you've essentially described the LDS belief on the subject?
Well, I DO live in Utah and have Mormon family members, including my wife. But it might just be a coincidence...

Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,903,444 times
The Unpardonable Sin

Ahh, Yes. Why do I see this as a matter of convenience that the only unpardonable sin is to disagree with the tenets of christianity. I suppose that for each time I have called it "Mythology" or claimed that there is better fiction in the works of Dr Seuss, or, that worship out of fear of punishment is not worship, but allowing yourself to be an emotional hostage. Hummmmmm, I wonder how much time I will spend in this mythological hell-place, Yeah, Right!!!! I suspect it would be a more time worthy discussion to try to figure out what makes really good barbecue sauce. Religious myths are as boring as the sermons.....well.....I think they could be used as a cure for insomnia.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,038,591 times
Quote:

I believe the unpardonable sin is not allowing the Holy Spirit to bring Love into the soul. Love is what progresses the soul and until one finds love, they will not be allowed into the Kingdom of God where Love resides. When the rejector does change it's condition, the sin then becomes pardonable.
So, as long as there is no love, that soul will remain in darkness until love is found. This can be either natural love or Divine Love.

God knows the conditions of our souls and what we are capable of. When we err, He forgives that very second. It's our own condioning that turns us to err, sin and iniquity. By forgiveness of self and others, we then can learn to love.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 AM

134 posts, read 123,925 times
I believe it is a turning away from the Lord to where that individual's heart has harden,sort of the point of no return as an example,it shows that man would rather live in darkness than come unto the light of the Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality