Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Exactly. Of course, we accept Christ as our Savior....it's the crux of Christian faith.

Im not trying to make a big deal out of nothing.....that's why I've sent them to FCA camps before (even if they've been in the minority, as catholics). But, I was wondering, like stretch posted, if the view of FCA is that catholics are not christian and need to be saved. Basically, are they ecumenical in nature, respecting other Christians, or do they view catholics as non-believers?
Thats something you would have to ask the FCA, im sure you could email them and ask them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 AM

743 posts, read 2,233,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Thats something you would have to ask the FCA, im sure you could email them and ask them.
Arguy....you're like the voice of reason! I have noticed that your posts on various topics are both reasonable and non-judgemental....an example of true christian spirit. Thanks for being a wonderful example to us all.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Ah, ok. I was just trying to find some ground to agree upon so that it wouldn't become an issue.

Dawn

Quote:
Exactly. Of course, we accept Christ as our Savior....it's the crux of Christian faith.

Im not trying to make a big deal out of nothing.....that's why I've sent them to FCA camps before (even if they've been in the minority, as catholics). But, I was wondering, like stretch posted, if the view of FCA is that catholics are not christian and need to be saved. Basically, are they ecumenical in nature, respecting other Christians, or do they view catholics as non-believers?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:59 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Arguy....you're like the voice of reason! I have noticed that your posts on various topics are both reasonable and non-judgemental....an example of true christian spirit. Thanks for being a wonderful example to us all.
Thank you, but all here probably wouldnt agree with that statement

Old 06-07-2007, 11:30 AM

I have actually found an organization that is new, but growing, which I'm very intersted in:

Catholic Athletes for Christ

Old 06-07-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Thank you, but all here probably wouldnt agree with that statement
You have graciously accepted this compliment.....

Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Ah, ok. I was just trying to find some ground to agree upon so that it wouldn't become an issue.

Dawn
Dawn....I appreciate your comment and I understand your ecumenical spirit, which I also embrace. If FCA was truly ecumenical (equally respectful and accepting of Presbyterians, Methodists, Baptists, Catholics, Evangelicals, etc)

Unfortunatly, I think FCA has takes more of the stance that Catholics are not Christian (in spite of the fact that all catholics accept JC as Lord and Savior). That is just not an environment that I'm comfortable with my children being in.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,826 times
Default Should A CATHOLIC be part of FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)

Catholic parents should not encourage their children to be part of FCA because FCA believes and teaches that the Bible is the ONLY infallible authority for a Christian (contained in the first sentence of FCA' statement of faith). Therefore FCA necessarily, like all Protestant communities of faith, rejects the authority of Catholic Church, the Church Christ established and said He would guide in all truth. To reject the Catholic Church is to reject most of the sacraments Christ gave us and to reject the authority that He established and promised to guide in all truth. Without the authority of the Catholic Church there would be no Bible and there would be no authoritative interpretation of the Bible. Everyone would be his own authority which is what those who reject the Church are left with (giving the world tens of thousands of protestant denominations). Though your children would be doing many "good things" in FCA they would be most certainly, though perhaps innocently (ignorantly), led away from the the Church Christ established for the purpose of discerning the truth, teaching the truth (about what He rquires of us) and administering the sacraments through which Christ gives us the grace we need to work out our salvation (in fear and trembling). "The pillar and the foundation of truth is the Church". (1Timothy 3:15)

Old 09-06-2009, 05:04 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
I have, in the past two years, signed my kids up for FCA summer sports camps. I like the exposure to "cool" teens who are Christian, the visits of prof or semi-prof athletes to share their faith, and reading of scripture (and also the "cool" christian rock and great t-shirts).

As a catholic, I'm NOT okay w/ someone aksing or pressuring my kids to "proclaim JC as Lord and Savior" in order to be "saved". My kids know they were saved through baptism (water and the Holy Spirit), a sacrament which they received as infants....and they are already Christians.

Based on what I've said, what are people's insights into FCA? If you were me, would you continue to send your kids to FCA camps?
Personally I would not send my child to a christian camp, and I most certainly wouldn’t send them to any thing connected to the catholic church. I would look for a good secular based camp, or one who did not stress religion in any way shape or form.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:03 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:
I have, in the past two years, signed my kids up for FCA summer sports camps. I like the exposure to "cool" teens who are Christian, the visits of prof or semi-prof athletes to share their faith, and reading of scripture (and also the "cool" christian rock and great t-shirts).

As a catholic, I'm NOT okay w/ someone aksing or pressuring my kids to "proclaim JC as Lord and Savior" in order to be "saved". My kids know they were saved through baptism (water and the Holy Spirit), a sacrament which they received as infants....and they are already Christians.

Based on what I've said, what are people's insights into FCA? If you were me, would you continue to send your kids to FCA camps?
Well, if you take your kids to KFC, they are going to ask you may I take your order, I am not joking, just saying.

If you take your kids to a Christian organization, they are going to ask things pertaining to the Lord that they serve. If you don't like that, then I would say, don't let them go.

If that was me, and I was a Christian, I wouldn't have a problem with It-duh.

Well, I am not Catholic, so I am speaking from my point of view. Yes, a baby can be baptized, but if a child does not say with his or her mouth that Jesus is Lord, they don't know that Jesus is their Lord, and you baptizing is only for your purposes, because the child is unaware of what is going on. Yes, you can get your baby bap., but the bible is clear on who should get bap.

I know that I went off subject, sorry, but here are a few things that you can read. I brought it up, because most Christians ask if you have been bap. or not.

http://www.tftw2.org/Tracts/babybaptism.html (broken link)

But I wouldn't be upset, because of the type of organization that it is. If I take my child to an atheists organization. I can't be mad if they tell my child that God does not exist, and if I do that is my fault for taking my child there. So, you have to pick and choose and understand what is going on, and if you don't want to accept it, then take your children somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality