Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,253,498 times

Advertisements

question for nikk and intmd8tr: if your philosophy and religion is connected to the same christianity and christians that did do these evils in the past then how can you trust what was handed down bye the very same people youve branded as evil-even right back to emperor constantine who was ment to have changed and removed whole books from the bible to suit his own political power

im sure that yous are nice people(nick you need to stop pushin your beleifs down peoples necks and branding other religions and cultures as evil or satan and i dont beleive that youve studied every part of every culture because their are other philosophys that are so much better than your eternal hell crap)but anyway -seek and ye shall find-if your really,really lookin 4 the truth then you'll find it-you have to question your beleifs because i dont think God wants anyone goin on blind faith-faith that is earned-yes-but blind faith-no -especially turning to God out of fear and not love-

love of God can be accheived but you have to know His charachter which IS love- infact their is no limit to His love, He loves everbody christians,muslims,hindus even atheist( yeah thats right lads even yous who refuse to beleive in him) and He wouldnt watch His children burn in hell for eternity i wouldnt even allow that to happen to anyone and im only human,yous only wnt Him because yas are afraid to go to Hell but maybe this eternal hell was missinterpreted deliberatly to control the people to make sure they didnt go against the church.

for me Jesus was the way and the truth and the life -the way out of christianity-without His charachter in the bible i think i might be still stuck in the fear-the truth became so clear it was liberating-and the life since i was not so cought up in negativity anymore and had alot more freedom to think and respect others-Jesus Christ the son saved me from christianity-then i found the Father Krishna-Christ/Krishna its the same name-Holy is thy name.

Last edited by dobeable; 03-23-2010 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 10:11 PM

598 posts, read 918,538 times
Most religious people are in religion guided by wrong motives such as "I'm going to heaven; you're going to hell."

And this why they are saying "it's my faith against your faith, watch out -- you might be wrong!" -- just examples of low moral standards promoted by all religions.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,889,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
The good news is that Jesus died for our sins ........
How can a "god" die? How can you kill a god?

Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,253,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Most religious people are in religion guided by wrong motives such as "I'm going to heaven; you're going to hell."

And this why they are saying "it's my faith against your faith, watch out -- you might be wrong!" -- just examples of low moral standards promoted by all religions.
we dont all think like that ,tell me what you KNOW about most religions

Old 03-24-2010, 03:59 AM

428 posts, read 1,067,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
People who were Christians who professed to be Christians and did evil in the name of the church. Christianity has brought bad things to most people it came into contact with who had different beliefs then the Christians had and thus they needed to save them.

History speaks for itself.....
Proverbs 11:27
He who seeks good finds goodwill,
but evil comes to him who searches for it.

If all you want to see is evil, then that's all you'll see. How about looking for the good done by Christians:

Invisible Children - Home
http://www.fmsc.org
Acholi Beads - Uganda Beads Made By The Acholi Tribe
Sponsor a Child - Compassion
Sponsor a well in Africa with Lifewater Canada (Life Water)
About us - Christian Aid
Sponsor a Child < Home - Help for Chile Earthquake Relief, Donate Now | World Vision

I could fill five screens with more links, but I'm sure this will be enough to help you find what you're looking for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
question for nikk and intmd8tr: if your philosophy and religion is connected to the same christianity and christians that did do these evils in the past then how can you trust what was handed down bye the very same people youve branded as evil-even right back to emperor constantine who was ment to have changed and removed whole books from the bible to suit his own political power
I know you didn't ask this of me, but I'll answer because I used to ask the same question. It's the "rumor theory", which, in this case sounds logical but doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Most current versions of the bible (NIV, NLT, ESV, NASB, etc) were translated from the original texts, mainly written in Hebrew and Greek, that predate King James, Constantine and anyone else who felt the desire to alter it. It's a common misconception that when a new version was created anything predating it was destroyed.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:31 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,053,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Proverbs 11:27
He who seeks good finds goodwill,
but evil comes to him who searches for it.

If all you want to see is evil, then that's all you'll see. How about looking for the good done by Christians:

Invisible Children - Home
http://www.fmsc.org
Acholi Beads - Uganda Beads Made By The Acholi Tribe
Sponsor a Child - Compassion
Sponsor a well in Africa with Lifewater Canada (Life Water)
About us - Christian Aid
Sponsor a Child < Home - Help for Chile Earthquake Relief, Donate Now | World Vision

I could fill five screens with more links, but I'm sure this will be enough to help you find what you're looking for...

I know you didn't ask this of me, but I'll answer because I used to ask the same question. It's the "rumor theory", which, in this case sounds logical but doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Most current versions of the bible (NIV, NLT, ESV, NASB, etc) were translated from the original texts, mainly written in Hebrew and Greek, that predate King James, Constantine and anyone else who felt the desire to alter it. It's a common misconception that when a new version was created anything predating it was destroyed.

I see in the modern world liberal Christians do good, but you cannot say in history Christians have caused much of the violence. In the modern world fundementalist and evangelical Christians are still causing problems where they missionize. Africa is the most recent place that they have set their sights on and now we have Africans killing children because they think they are witches and they take the bible literally when it says to kill witches. So you can keep your bible and your verses and your religion because it historically has done more harm then good.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:32 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,445,694 times
Quote:

im sure that yous are nice people(nick you need to stop pushin your beleifs down peoples necks and branding other religions and cultures as evil or satan and i dont beleive that youve studied every part of every culture because their are other philosophys that are so much better than your eternal hell crap)but anyway -seek and ye shall find-if your really,really lookin 4 the truth then you'll find it-you have to question your beleifs because i dont think God wants anyone goin on blind faith-faith that is earned-yes-but blind faith-no -especially turning to God out of fear and not love-

love of God can be accheived but you have to know His charachter which IS love- infact their is no limit to His love, He loves everbody christians,muslims,hindus even atheist( yeah thats right lads even yous who refuse to beleive in him) and He wouldnt watch His children burn in hell for eternity i wouldnt even allow that to happen to anyone and im only human,yous only wnt Him because yas are afraid to go to Hell but maybe this eternal hell was missinterpreted deliberatly to control the people to make sure they didnt go against the church.

for me Jesus was the way and the truth and the life -the way out of christianity-without His charachter in the bible i think i might be still stuck in the fear-the truth became so clear it was liberating-and the life since i was not so cought up in negativity anymore and had alot more freedom to think and respect others-Jesus Christ the son saved me from christianity-then i found the Father Krishna-Christ/Krishna its the same name-Holy is thy name.
dobeable, It is with sorrowfulness I hear that you have gone apostate.

To answer your question above, I do not look to men as I have said, but to God. God has preserved his word in the Holy Bible. Constantine made Christianity the state religion in Rome and funded the building of Churches and the making of bibles. He did not remove books from the bible. There are many books that did not make Cannonization (I think that this is what you are refering to). You can find them on the internet. Many of them are good books, but are not Holy Scripture.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Yes, these things are true. But Christianity hasn't brought bad things to people, HUMANS under the "guise" of Christianity brought bad things to people. It is not God's fault that people pervert his intentions for us. I doubt God approved of those actions any more than you do.

God does not teach Christians hate or violence. That is the work of humans. Are there humans in the world today doing bad in the name of God? Most certainly. Is that what Jesus intended? Nope. Are there Christians actually trying to live their lives through the Spirit and teachings of Jesus? Absolutely.

It seems there are many people painting with a very broad brush.
Christianity is being painted with a broad brush because it has caused the most damage with Islam coming in 2nd. When religions believe they have the only truth and they need to "save" you then that becomes the goal.

Christians are not respected in many areas because of their behavior. There are Christians on this board who still refuse to accept the harm done in the name of their religion. I have much respect for the Christianity of my parents and of the liberal Christians I know. I have no respect for the fundamentalists and evangelicals out there. I know that they do not care about me or anyone else like me who is not a Christian because all we are is a soul to save so they can get to heaven.

God may not have taught violence but Christians have been historically a very violent religion. That is a historical fact. As soon as Christianity became a legal religion then life my everyone who was not a Christian changed for the worse.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
we dont all think like that ,tell me what you KNOW about most religions

True you all don't think like that. My family doesn't think like that and many Christians I know don't think like that but they are on the liberal end of Christianity. But the Christians on the other end of the spectrum and many who are on this board are a scary bunch of people and they do think like that.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:43 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,445,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I see in the modern world liberal Christians do good, but you cannot say in history Christians have caused much of the violence. In the modern world fundementalist and evangelical Christians are still causing problems where they missionize. Africa is the most recent place that they have set their sights on and now we have Africans killing children because they think they are witches and they take the bible literally when it says to kill witches. So you can keep your bible and your verses and your religion because it historically has done more harm then good.
Exodus 22:18: Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Jazzymom, This verse is from the old testament (The Jewish Scriptures) and from the Torah itself (The first five books attributed to Moses). These are not Christian scriptures, although we have the Jewish text in the Christian bible. These are Jewish commandments. As Christians we know that we no longer live by the law of Moses, but the law of grace that was given by Jesus Christ the Messiah. The Old Testament is the foundation of the teachings of Christ.

As a Jewish person I am surprised that you are speaking against your own sacred scriptures and blaming the Christian for them. Sounds a little twisted to me. These people in Africa appear to have not been taught the teachings of Christ.

You are correct that Christianity is aiming at Africa. We are specifically aiming at what is called the 10 40 window. These are the latitudes where Christianity is least known. It covers parts of Africa to India. The reason is that scripture is clear that Christ will return when the Gospel is preached to the whole world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality