Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,012,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Budaism. LOL!!! Hah. I know that was a typo, but it still struck me as funny.
WHOOOPS Ok it was late last night when I started that thread...MY BAD
Is Buddhism better? LOL

Ok as for everyone else...I appreciate all of yout input! If you would like more clarification as to where I was coming from with this thread...Please go to the How do Christians view Judaism? Thread
https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...w-judaism.html
And just read page one and two...you should be able to understand where I was coming from.
I was trying to not pinpoint this person, although we had some good conversation last night. But I think he'll understand my adding this in:
This person is thinking about converting to Judaism. He says he thinks he is Agnostic, but wants to become Jewish. I said you HAVE to believe in GOD in order to be A Jew.
Anyway, if you read the first 2 pages of that thread you'll know where I was coming from.
I also made the comment that I don't believe there is any religion called Atheistc Jew. That's what brought me to the question of whether or not someone can convert to a religion such as Judaism and not believe in God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,923 times
Quote:
Is this really true though? The Bible states that the only way to the Father is through Jesus Christ. This is the tenet that followers of Christ hold to. Do those who believe in God from other beliefs follow that idea? So it begs the question, if the others do not believe that Jesus is the only Way, then what of Jesus? Do we make Him a liar?
That's only holds true for Christians, i.e. - that the only way to the Father is through Christ. No one can suppose to know how God conducts His personal relationships with others. Christ selects His followers through identification of their souls, and there are those who are left for God the Father to select for establishing a relationship with....sort of like the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, etc...

Quote:
That's what brought me to the question of whether or not someone can convert to a religion such as Judaism and not believe in God?
It's possible for an individual to convert to any religion and not believe in God.
And it's much like the term "practicing blank religion". For instance, young people often "practice" their religion without fully adhereing to any, or all of its beliefs. While not believing in God might not be common, some people are very spiritually and idealogically confused when they join a religion, and while they may go through all of the motions when first practicing a religion, their heart is just not in it, or their faith has just not matured. So, that's why some religions won't let people convert into it very easily, or will only let adults convert into it, to help minimize "turnover". Maybe that's why they call it "practicing".
Some people become better practicioners of their religion as they get older and wiser. For some people their true faith develops over a long period of time, while for other people it takes the form of a sudden rebirth. Neither form is better or worse, or right or wrong.
Other people undergo several conversions from one religion to another, and then back again. Beliefs are as flexible and infinite as there are people and religious denominations. God has the largest tent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality