Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:45 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times

Advertisements

One of the strangest things I find about the Bible is that everything that has happened as well as everything that's going to happen in the future is already known so what's the point of doing it in the first place? The predictions in Revelations and other parts of the Bible supposedly lay out in great detail all of the step by step events that will occur as well as the fact that satan will lose the battle at the end and be cast into the lake of fire or some very unpleasant place. All of this seems very illogical. If satan knows he's going to lose the battle and face something worse than death why doesn't he just give up now and plead for a reduced sentence? It would at least be more interesting if we didn't know how it was all going to turn out and if the bad guys had as much of a chance to win as the good guys. Honestly, the more I think about the details of the Christian religion the less sense it makes to me. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:57 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One of the strangest things I find about the Bible is that everything that has happened as well as everything that's going to happen in the future is already known so what's the point of doing it in the first place? The predictions in Revelations and other parts of the Bible supposedly lay out in great detail all of the step by step events that will occur as well as the fact that satan will lose the battle at the end and be cast into the lake of fire or some very unpleasant place. All of this seems very illogical. If satan knows he's going to lose the battle and face something worse than death why doesn't he just give up now and plead for a reduced sentence? It would at least be more interesting if we didn't know how it was all going to turn out and if the bad guys had as much of a chance to win as the good guys. Honestly, the more I think about the details of the Christian religion the less sense it makes to me. What do you think?
Maybe Satan has something up his sleeve. David did beat Goliath you know. Or maybe Satan ain't no quitter.

It ain't over till it's over

Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
Default The secret things...

Well, one thought I have on this is that satan desires to take as many people down with him as possible and THEIR fate is not known. It's being decided every day.

This is a lot of speculation about the thinking and motivation of both God and satan. That assumes a lot that we don't know because it has not been revealed to us. A couple of days ago, ILNC posted on another thread one of my favorite scriptures--Deuteronomy 29:29 which says that the secret things belong to the Lord, but what is revealed to us and to our children.

In the book of Job, for example, there is a conversation between God and satan that is recorded. So we have a little window into heaven so to speak,
but Job even in the end is not told all that has transpired in the heavenly realm regarding what happened to him.

I guess, bottom line, what I'm saying is that there are many mysteries in the mind of God that He has not chosen to reveal ...and then we get back to faith again.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,947 times
MY opinion is that Satan serves a purpose. For whatever His reason, God allows Satan to tempt, deceive, etc. all mankind. Satan doesn't want to give up. He wants to do the best he can to foil God's plan. He wants to do the best he can to take as many people away from God as possible.

So why doesn't Satan stop his behavior knowing what the outcome will be? Maybe he believes the Bible is leaving out details that he could use to avoid the fate predicted for himself. I believe he has blinders on and no matter what the Bible tells him, he won't believe it. Maybe he doesn't believe the Bible is true, like so many humans.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:37 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
Im of the opinion that satan hates God and since Gods loves us, humans, that the devil tries his best to hurt, steal kill and destroy everything he can before he gets chunked into the pit...last sentence paraphrased by ARGUY, not KJ-lol. And of course he wants to use any means available to keep people from the truth that Christ died for everyone, by using divisions, conflicts, whatever, hurt, pain.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The predictions in Revelations and other parts of the Bible supposedly lay out in great detail all of the step by step events that will occur as well as the fact that satan will lose the battle at the end and be cast into the lake of fire or some very unpleasant place.
I contend that the book of Revelation is NOT predictions at all. Most of that book is either a symbolic retelling of the Gospel or has to do with events occurring in the 1st century church. Very little of that book is a prediction of "the end times."

The truth is that Satan was ultimately defeated at the cross. Game over.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Montana, you are talking about revelations, which in my opinion is the most misinterpreted book of the bible I have read so many different interpretations that it makes me dizzy. I have my interpretation which came mainly from history and study of literary form. (Please people this is my opinion, I will talk about it but won't argue). Historically, this book was supposedly written between 54 and 96 a.d. Possibly during Nero's reign. During this time Christians were being forced to worship whichever emperor was ruling. I think that John wrote this message to the christians more or less in code to inspire them that if they held fast to the teachings of Christ that in the end good would conquor the turmoil of the present day crisis. Revelations has so much of the book of Daniel and Ezekial that it could be in either book. All christians at that time were familiar with the old testament as they had no new testament to go by. IMO,IMO the prophesies of the old testament were mostely written to comfort the believers during times of tribulation, and all those prophesies were fulfilled by the coming of Christ and his death, burial, and resurrection.So to sum up. IMO The book of revelation has nothing to do about how this world will end and the signs of the return of Christ. It was written to give some comfort and spiritual insight to the Christians that evil would be overcome during their lifetime. He wrote in code ,in the way of the old testament to keep the Romans from further persecuting the Christians for exchanging their faith. In my humble opinion, my friend ,the bible is completely fulfilled except for the coming of Christ,and whatever comes after....This satisfies me, and I am comfortable and at peace with it

Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Blue62 summed up my take nicely. Well done!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:14 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,063 times
Whereas I agree with blue62 that the book of Revelation was written for the christians of the time, I believe that it also points to a future time when Christ will return. Several instances of prophesy indicate a future sense: the "wrath of the Lamb (6:16); His judgments on the sinful world (He came the first time to tell the world about salvation) Chaps. 6;8;9;14;16-18; His eventual second coming (19:11-21); and the thousand year reign (20:2-6) before the final judgment.

I think it serves as not only a prophetic book but also like blue62 mentioned, it was to ease the fears of christians past, present and future and remind us of the glory of the Lord and His promises and blessings to those who choose to follow Him.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times
Default Why Does God Battle Satan When The Result Is Already Known?

Let's keep it about the original question, please. Start another thread about the relevance of Revelation if need be.

IMHO, the answer to this question is simple: God has a process He is bringing His creation through, for a purpose known to Him. I think, to put it rather simply, that this purpose is for us to learn, through and despite the good and bad, to love one another, and to trust and believe in and love our Creator.

I believe that God is ultimately and absolutely in control of the world, but for a time has allowed Satan to do a job, which is to kill, steal and destroy. Remember, the Bible says clearly that God created evil, so therefore He did so for a reason. We may not understand it or think we agree with it now, but I know God has His reasons, and trust that they are for the best, and that I will know more when my time here is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality