Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,255,000 times

Advertisements

bad things that happen=karma
good things that happen=karma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 10:55 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,658,662 times
To the OP, are you thinking of the bad things that are happening in terms of a religious context? I'm just asking because the question itself doesn't seem to be a religious topic but maybe it would be if you elaborated more of how you view it. Sometimes a string of bad luck is just that, bad luck and not the result of anything you did wrong. Of course it's also possible that you have certain behaviors that are causing your problems and you don't recognize what you're doing wrong. You'd have to explain your situation in a little more detail in order to get a good answer.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:33 AM

478 posts, read 776,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
to you, could it be the company that you keep?

What is your insight on this?
Irregardless of who you choose to spend time with, what you do, and what happens to you is ultimately BECAUSE of YOU and what you do. The fact that you choose to surround yourself with, or spend time with those with a less than savory character is merely a part and product of what is already a problem within you; the company you keep is never the problem itself (and of course when I am saying the word YOU I don't mean YOU personally, I'm just being general). Like attracts like- remember that. If you do not care for those who seem to keep finding you, then you must change yourself, and be the person YOU would want to attract, and be around. That having been said, if bad things keep happening to you- and you say it is always your "friends" that are/cause the problems in your life, or your boy/girlfriends that screw everything up in your life, then there is a whole lot of dishonestly going on. And it is not coming from those supposed "friends/boyfriends/girlfriends"...look in the mirror- therein lies the problem- as well as the cure. To find the latter just takes a lot of strength, hard work, and soul searching but will be a payoff like no other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
bad things that happen=karma
good things that happen=karma
That really is right on. You reap what you sow- period. Doesn't matter what you believe or don't- it's simply the law of physics. What you put out, you get back. And thousandfold. Which really sucks when it's something bad, remember that...

Old 04-04-2010, 05:21 PM

745 posts, read 1,652,960 times
Quote:

You create your own reality with every thought you think.
Energy flows to where your thoughts are.
Thoughts are things and they become real.
Thoughts are the matrix/magnet that attracts according to their content.
Want a better life.
Think better thoughts.
Do better things.
Set a goal.
Make the most of yourself.
Put all your best efforts into it.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:10 AM

22,808 posts, read 19,411,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
You create your own reality with every thought you think.
Energy flows to where your thoughts are.
Thoughts are things and they become real.
Thoughts are the matrix/magnet that attracts according to their content.
Want a better life.
Think better thoughts.
Do better things.
Set a goal.
Make the most of yourself.
Put all your best efforts into it.
yup, great post Zone
if you want to change your life = change your thinking

Old 04-05-2010, 08:18 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,423,163 times
Quote:

Good things happen to me all the time. I believe in passing it on to others...and what goes around comes around.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 AM

645 posts, read 1,454,729 times
well for one I lost my job back in January, and I still don't know why, they just ended my contract and never told me why. My s/o had gotten sent to jail for something dumb that he has done. My brother is on the edge of becoming deported. I had a bad birthday this year. I lost some of my hair. I lost my car due to mechanice failure. I don't have any friends in my corner, they see me going through things and don't even bother to ask me if Im okay, or tell me everything will be okay. I'm having man problems, me and my s/o broke is having an up and down relationship. I mean I just can't win. With all that being said, I just feel like giving up.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,423,163 times
Quote:
well for one I lost my job back in January, and I still don't know why, they just ended my contract and never told me why. My s/o had gotten sent to jail for something dumb that he has done. My brother is on the edge of becoming deported. I had a bad birthday this year. I lost some of my hair. I lost my car due to mechanice failure. I don't have any friends in my corner, they see me going through things and don't even bother to ask me if Im okay, or tell me everything will be okay. I'm having man problems, me and my s/o broke is having an up and down relationship. I mean I just can't win. With all that being said, I just feel like giving up.
Sounds like you've had a really rough time of it lately. Feeling like you just can't win and like giving up, is pretty normal when you've had so many crappy things happen to you in a short period of time. It can feel really overwhelming sometimes yes?

I could offer a few suggestions if I may be so bold?

Take a blank piece of paper and briefly write a list all the crappy things that have happened.

Look at your list and say to youself: "This is in the past. There is nothing I can do to change all this crap."

Now turn the page over and look at the blank side of the paper in front of you.

Say to yourself "This is my future. How do I want my life to be?"

Take some time to imagine how you would like you life to be.

(Also think of the positive things in your life that are currently happening that are already a part of this positive, happy future life even in a small way. eg "I feel good when my friend calls for chat")

Draw a vertical line down the middle of the page- top to bottom.

On the left hand side write at a list of about six goals. (eg a good job I enjoy, a good relationship, good friends, feel good about myself, feel happy, a car that works etc)

Look at your list and say to yourself "Only I can change my future"

Look at each point, one at a time (doesn't have to be all in one go) and ask yourself, "What is one thing, however small, that I can do that will help me reach this goal?

On the right hand side opposite each goal write down that one small thing you can do (eg opposite "a good job" you could write "Look on the internet today at examples of good CV's so I can create a kickarse Resume that will get me the job I want" Or next to "good friends" you could write "Call up a friend and chat about something we both like.)

Do this for each goal. Just one small thing - maybe just making a phone call, or smiling at the cashier at the supermarket and saying how's your day? etc.

Make a pact with yourself to do at least one thing on your list each day. Each time you do something towards your goal, put a big tick next to it, reward yourself (eg watch an hour of your favourite tv show. Have some chocolate. Go for a walk somewhere that makes you feel good etc, take a relaxing bath) and write down a new small step opposite one of your goals.

Tell yourself "I don't have to do it all at once- just one small step at a time. Each small step brings me one step closer to the way I want my life to be. I CAN change my life around."

Oh....and don't look at the side of page with all the crappy bits on it again. It's done. It's in the Past. Leave it behind. Looking at it will only get you doing the stinkin' thinkin' thing over and over again about all the negative crap that has already happened which you can't change. If you find yourself dwelling and thinking about all the things you "shoulda done, coulda done, coulda said" in the past, or all the crap that happened, close your eyes and imagine a big red STOP sign with white letters on it that say "STOP! You're going the wrong way!" Imagine youself stopping and turning to your right and walking away from it.

Sending positive thoughts your way from Down Under!

PS. Maybe Sseing your doctor about your health might be a good idea too.

cheers
Jen

Last edited by Ceist; 04-05-2010 at 10:55 AM..

Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 AM

645 posts, read 1,454,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Sounds like you've had a really rough time of it lately mate. Feeling like you just can't win and like giving up, is pretty normal when you've had so many crappy things happen to you in a short period of time. It can feel really overwhelming sometimes yes?

I could offer a few suggestions if I may be so bold?

Take a blank piece of paper and briefly write a list all the crappy things that have happened.

Look at your list and say to youself: "This is in the past. There is nothing I can do to change all this crap."

Now turn the page over and look at the blank side of the paper in front of you.

Say to yourself "This is my future. How do I want my life to be?"

Take some time to imagine how you would like you life to be.

(Also think of the positive things in your life that are currently happening that are already a part of this positive, happy future life even in a small way. eg "I feel good when my friend calls for chat")

Draw a vertical line down the middle of the page- top to bottom.

On the left hand side write at a list of about six goals. (eg a good job I enjoy, a good relationship, good friends, feel good about myself, feel happy, a car that works etc)

Look at your list and say to yourself "Only I can change my future"

Look at each point, one at a time (doesn't have to be all in one go) and ask yourself, "What is one thing, however small, that I can do that will help me reach this goal?

On the right hand side opposite each goal write down that one small thing you can do (eg opposite "a good job" you could write "Look on the internet today at examples of good CV's so I can create a kickarse Resume that will get me the job I want" Or next to "good friends" you could write "Call up a friend and chat about something we both like.)

Do this for each goal. Just one small thing - maybe just making a phone call, or smiling at the cashier at the supermarket and saying how's your day? etc.

Make a pact with yourself to do at least one thing on your list each day. Each time you do something towards your goal, put a big tick next to it, reward yourself (eg watch an hour of your favourite sport. Have a beer. Go for a walk somewhere that makes you feel good etc) and write down a new small step opposite one of your goals.

Tell yourself "I don't have to do it all at once- just one small step at a time. Each small step brings me one step closer to the way I want my life to be. I CAN change my life around."

Oh....and don't look at the side of page with all the crappy bits on it again. It's done. It's in the Past. Leave it behind. Looking at it will only get you doing the stinkin' thinkin' thing over and over again about all the negative crap that has already happened which you can't change. If you find yourself dwelling and thinking about all the things you "shoulda done, coulda done, coulda said" in the past, or all the crap that happened, close your eyes and imagine a big red STOP sign with white letters on it that say "STOP! You're going the wrong way!" Imagine youself stopping and turning to your right and walking away from it.

Sending positive thoughts your way from Down Under!

PS. Maybe Sseing your doctor about your health might be a good idea too.

cheers
Jen
Thanks alot, I have been writing down some things but thank you for your advice.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 AM

312 posts, read 869,828 times
Sounds like you have had one especially tough stretch! That stinks honestly- but please, don't give up.

Remember, what really counts is that you have value in God's eyes! People held Jesus of no account - but that did not change the way God viewed him! (Isaiah 53:3) Just as he loved his dear Son, he loves you too. (John 3:16)

Being imperfect and living in a crazy world right now is really hard... we are living in critical times hard to deal with, according to the Bible. (2Timothy3:1-5) That just makes everything worse...

But until God steps in to change this crazy world in the near future, please do your best to take care of you. If you have been keeping company with those who are influencing you negatively then maybe you could find new companionship elsewhere... if things that you are doing are hurting you then one step at a time to change something that needs changing... (we can do anything for 24 hours, right? "Just for today, I will do - or not do- _________" fill in the blank.)

Remember God is greater than our hearts and knows all things. He is there for you! (1 John 3:19,20)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality