Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:12 PM

701 posts, read 801,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I really don't want to derail this thread into an evolution debate. All I can say is that evolution has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt and you can even observe, for yourself, these proofs. Rifleman has often mentioned a documented study of a new species evolving. Mountains of evidence back up evolution; you just have to be willing to look at the evidence.

There is no evidence for god. I understand that many will accept personal testimonies and feelings as evidence for god. My question for you would be, why do you hold such a well proven and documented process to a higher standard than god? The two are not even comparable as one has evidence and the other does not.

ETA: Even if evolution were proven false, that would not mean by default that god did it.
Katzpur is quite right. It all depends on your perspective. People want "proof" of God while they will accept "evidence" of evolution. I feel that there is overwhelming "evidence" for the existence of God, and what you consider "evidence" for evolution i just don't believe it speaks to that. I have never heard of anyone observing a fish give birth to anything other than another fish. Scientists like getting technical with species classifications but the fact remains, that no one has observed, one type of animal give birth to something of a completely different classification. I just wish those who believe in evolution could be honest about that. All the "evidence" that I see regarding these matters points me to God and not to evolution. The 7th chapter of the book of Daniel is all the "evidence" I need to prove to me that the Bible is the word of God, but I understand that it just isn't enough for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:23 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Scientists like getting technical with species classifications but the fact remains, that no one has observed, one type of animal give birth to something of a completely different classification. I just wish those who believe in evolution could be honest about that.
That is not what evolution says; that is AIG and the likes strawman. I dunno about perspective. All I am asking for in regards to god is something I can verify for myself. Evolution puts the evidence out there for all to see and experience. The same cannot be said for god.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,555,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Excuse me... you are incorrect. We test Him all the time... by our actions and/or inactions and, if you're not aware of it, we reap what we sow.
And the fact that you or anyone else has NEVER seen, heard, felt, anything to support your existence of Him, really proves you 100% wrong and grossly mislead by your teachings, at the hands of those who suffered the same false and absolutely unsupported beliefs.

Now a spring breeze blowing in your face, that is something real, natural, and all through the courtesy of nature, no deities involved. So is the tornado that rips a toddler out of their home and impales them on a tree branch half a mile away. Or you could attribute that also to "him" but why would anyone want to worship, honor, or even acknowledge a "him" that could do such a thing.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:15 PM

28,106 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Now a spring breeze blowing in your face, that is something real, natural, and all through the courtesy of nature, no deities involved. So is the tornado that rips a toddler out of their home and impales them on a tree branch half a mile away. Or you could attribute that also to "him" but why would anyone want to worship, honor, or even acknowledge a "him" that could do such a thing.
So the existance of both God and tornados is impossible? It's got to be one or the other?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,555,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So the existance of both God and tornados is impossible? It's got to be one or the other?
Well that is a silly response.

If you have something logical to say, please do so, otherwise you need to try and improve your reading comprehension. Nature, evolution, etc, are real and have allowed us to survive and evolve.

Nature is also a harsh mistress, nor does it have a consciousness or a sense of right and wrong, thus what happens, just happens.

Now if you attribute everything to some deity, including the tornado that rips a toddler to their violent death, and you still view that deity as a good and caring force, then I suggest you have your vision and sense of reality check.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:39 PM

28,106 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Quote:

If you have something logical to say, please do so, otherwise you need to try and improve your reading comprehension. Nature, evolution, etc, are real and have allowed us to survive and evolve.

Nature is also a harsh mistress, nor does it have a consciousness or a sense of right and wrong, thus what happens, just happens.

Now if you attribute everything to some deity, including the tornado that rips a toddler to their violent death, and you still view that deity as a good and caring force, then I suggest you have your vision and sense of reality check.
My reading comprehension, vision, and sense of reality are all doing well, thanks. I'm also quite good at knowing when I'm being insulted, and not so stupid that I'm going to stick around for more. Nice try at putting words into my mouth, though.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:

You make the same mistake that many atheists make when discussing God. You seem to think Christian's attribute everything to God which we don't. Not everything that happens on this earth is God's will. Much happens that, that He would rather not see happen, however, He has to allow the decisions of to man play out. It is the cost of giving a creation free will. I hate the term "act of God" that is so frequently used to describe natural disasters. They are not always acts of God, but many times acts of Satan.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
That is not what evolution says; that is AIG and the likes strawman. I dunno about perspective. All I am asking for in regards to god is something I can verify for myself. Evolution puts the evidence out there for all to see and experience. The same cannot be said for god.
Ok, then what is it that evolution says? Not trying to be rhetorical here, I sincerely want to better understand what it is that evolution says if not that, we evolved from something completely different than what we are today. Every time I sincerely ask that question I get an answer like "it's all so complicated to get into right here but the scientists say its correct and everyone knows its been "proven" yada, yada, yada..." BTW what is AIG? As for putting the evidence out there for all to see, well I believe the Bible does that. I believe that God's truth has always been there for those who choose to look for it. Like I mentioned before, the Bible's prophetic accuracy is "evidence" to me of its divine inspiration. Take the 2nd or 7th chapter of the book of Daniel. Written during the Babylonian empire, it predicted the rise/fall of Babylonians, Medes/Persians, Grecian, and Roman empires.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 PM

580 posts, read 1,082,669 times
NO. Saying that "God did it" is the most cop-out answer of all time for anything.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
NO. Saying that "God did it" is the most cop-out answer of all time for anything.
In what way is that a "cop-out"? What is it that we are "copping-out" to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality