Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 05:09 PM

897 posts, read 1,598,629 times

Advertisements

So based on your posts OP, you've basically concluded that there is no way to prove or disprove it so why lean towards one or the other? If the bible is wrong (and it seems that you're willing to admit that) and so are any other types of scriptures and god is "so cool" that we have no way to comprehend him, then why bother trying? Why not just go on with our lives and live it as best we can and as righteously as we can because we know getting along with each other benefits and enriches our lives instead of choosing one organized religion over another and making enemies? Why not do the right thing and follow laws that make sense instead of following ridiculous guidelines because some nut in a funny hat or costume tells us that we will be rewarded after we die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:10 PM

9,496 posts, read 12,962,909 times
Default Mandated outcomes, or else! Sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Meditation is relaxation. I see nothing spiritual about it. I have mastered yoga, I have nice abs now and I am quite relaxed as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
if you think that yoga is just simple postures and exercises then you have barely tipped the iceberg and obviously do not know the meaning of yoga or anything about yoga-yoga is a spiritual process-and is meant for combining with the Supreme-
Actually I suspect it can be used to attain whatever depth one strives for, yes? Not everyone is after a deep spiritual consequence to yoga, and those who might then tell you you're obviously "doing it all wrong!" if you don't come to the same enlightenment as they have are surely living in a delusional world.

Having said that, by coupling a spiritual aspect of yoga with its physical aspects seems like a good way to achieve a higher level of metaphysical integration, But it's surely NOT mandatory.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,910,094 times
I have a god-meter. I bought it at Acme Hardware & Ice Cream, on Main Street. While I was dipping into my peppermint-and-spam hot fudge sundae with real whipped cream and ketchup, I read the instructions front to back. Of course this means I read the English AND the Japanese, the French, and Spanish.

Once finished with my sundae (which was really a Tuesdae but let's not pick nits, hm?), I went across the street to the public park. I dipped my god-meter into the nearest, freshest pile of dog poop I could find, and turned on the meter. It didn't even so much as make a blip. Nothing. There was no god in that pile of fresh dog poop. I was sure there would be, since God is everywhere.

So, I walked across the park and found the dog. I stuck the god-meter into it. A few bites, ten stitches, and a rabies shot later, I recorded on the handy notepad that came with the meter: 0. No god in dog. Shame, that.

So then I went to the other side of the park, across -that- street, to the Town Hall. I went up into the Mayor's office, and stopped at the secretary's desk. Told her what I was trying to do, requested her assistance. She put her hand over the end of the god meter, and I flipped the switch. Nothing. No hum, no blip, not a darned thing.

I tried this on people, flowers, animals, trees, rocks, caves, cracks in the ground, rain puddles. I tried it in the sewer, and even tried it on a few fish (salt and fresh water).

Nothing. I checked inside and the battery was fine. I took apart the thing and put it back together again..and did my research all over again.

My findings, after extensive research on over 4000 things, people, and even voices (I had my mom talk to it):

There is no god, in anything that can be measured for the existence of god.

Perhaps there is god in things that can't be measured, but the theory was that God is Everything - is omnipresent, omnipotent, omnipotent. I have debunked this theory.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
So based on your posts OP, you've basically concluded that there is no way to prove or disprove it so why lean towards one or the other?

(snip for brevity...)

Why not do the right thing and follow laws that make sense instead of following ridiculous guidelines because some nut in a funny hat or costume tells us that we will be rewarded after we die?
On first blush, FMC, I'd completely agree with you. But I fear you're not baking man's basic greed and quest for power over the "less enlightened, those who desperately need our guidance and love!" into your holistic cake.

Even by the evidence we see here on C-D, not for or against any particular God or political position, but indeed for the right to have the last word, pretty much proves that we're an argumentative and self-righteous species.

So. Now that I've set you straight, please remit $20 to PO Box...... Then I'll say a prayer dedicated to you!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 PM

Default NOTE: Christian meters require rechargeable "C" batteries....

Impressive, Anonchik! Does RadioShack carry these? Talk about compelling evidence!

Oh! Wait! doesn't Scientology have a ""meter" by which you can be "cleared" or some such metaphysical mumbo-jumbo?

So now, honestly, you didn't make off with that meter during a free sidewalk Scientology sign-up fair did yah?

Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 AM

23,411 posts, read 29,308,237 times
Just feel for you pulse. Thump-thump-thump?

You feel it? You feel it?

If so, then that's proof positive there is no God!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,256,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Just feel for you pulse. Thump-thump-thump?

You feel it? You feel it?

If so, then that's proof positive there is no God!
this logic is quite outstandingand to think i waisted my time-where have you been all my life

Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 AM

897 posts, read 1,598,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
On first blush, FMC, I'd completely agree with you. But I fear you're not baking man's basic greed and quest for power over the "less enlightened, those who desperately need our guidance and love!" into your holistic cake.

Even by the evidence we see here on C-D, not for or against any particular God or political position, but indeed for the right to have the last word, pretty much proves that we're an argumentative and self-righteous species.

So. Now that I've set you straight, please remit $20 to PO Box...... Then I'll say a prayer dedicated to you!
Well, I was talking from an individual stand point. If we all, as individuals, do what I said then we would have no problems. And, yes, I am fully aware that so many of this planet's societies are held together by one common belief and that belief is usually a religious one. I'm also fully aware, however, that THAT is the main problem.

For example, I trully believe that Moses and Jesus walked the earth at one time and that they were both leaders of men. I think that they both had phiolosophies that they taught in order to strengthen their numbers and give morale to their followers. But a group doesn't follow a man for too long without questioning him (thanks to that wonderful human nature that you mentioned) so, just like leaders did before them for time immemorial, they claimed to be following orders directly from a god. Moses took it a step further by claiming it was the ONE TRUE GOD and Jesus took a step further by claiming that HE HIMSELF was the one true god.

But do I believe in myths like the angel of death coming to take the first born? No. Listen to the story and analyze it and you can see how the proof is right there that god, whether there is one or not, had nothing to do with it. The Jews were told by Moses, who was leading a revolution, that they had to prove loyalty to god by smearing lamb's blood on their doorways. If god is all knowing, then why does he need an outward display of loyalty when it would be viewed as rebelious by the slave masters? Doesn't it make more sense that the rebels wanted to know who was with them and who was against them? After all, anyone who was against you could inform at any time so what better way to make sure that they didn't than to threaten them with the death of their child if they didn't cooperate? But even a death threat from a man is not as scary as one from a god so, while the faithful cowered inside their homes, the death squads did their jobs and killed the first born. And the first born in the Egyptian households? Well, any servant that works in the kitchen has access to knives.

My Dad said it best: Moses had a people but no religion (so he made one up) and Jesus had a religion but no people (so he recruited the misfits who had been excommunicated).

The problem is always with their predecessors and it gets worse with each new leader. Nowhere in the scriptures does it say that Jesus was celibate and didn't marry. In fact, most historians agree that it would have been unlikely that Jesus not marry since he was such a good Jewish boy. It was Paul with his crazy "end of the world" ideas after Jesus died that started much of the BS that christianity follows today. Any way you look at it though, it cracks me up that nobody looks at the facts of early christians and tells themselves, "I'm not doing to follow what this crazy cult says". Hell, you don't even have to look back; you can just look at what these nuts believe now and realize you shouldn't listen to a word they say. And I mean this about ALL religions.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,249,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
the only arguments against God's existence ,one- people pulling out fawlty bible verses-and using that as an excuse

the other is either-species evolution theory or the big bang theory and actually this cant have any real purpose to the question-because even if these theorys were true it still dosent rule out the possibilitys of the existence of a God...infact in IMO if these theorys were true it should support the argument,..only God could have made ALL THIS WITH A BIG BANG

so please feel free to give any proof if you can or just let us hear your thoughts
So now we have to prove a negative. There is no proof that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the tooth fairy don't exist, so I guess they must because little kids all over the world have faith and believe in them. Right?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:50 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,162,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So now we have to prove a negative. There is no proof that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the tooth fairy don't exist, so I guess they must because little kids all over the world have faith and believe in them. Right?
Oh God (yar har). Not the Santa Claus bit again. This one is about as frequent as the Pascal's Wager one.

However, I agree that you can't prove a negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality