Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:08 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,602 times

Advertisements

Goth and Rock n Roll in Chruch? The link did not work go to cnn.com. But this is what's starting to be a trend. What next? Talk about your compromise and mixing with the world God help us. By the way, if the link does not work go to cnn.com and view the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 07:34 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,867 times
There is no link. Though personally I don't see anything wrong with Rock and Roll and Goth as long as the content of the particular song is not too scandalous. It would be ignorant to otherwise make sweeping generalizations.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
There is no link. Though personally I don't see anything wrong with Rock and Roll and Goth as long as the content of the particular song is not too scandalous. It would be ignorant to otherwise make sweeping generalizations.
Go to cnn.com for the video.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 PM

Saw the video. Opinion still hasn't changed. Christianity must learn to change the ways of marketing its message (without changing its message) to stay alive or else it'll go the way of the Romans.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:11 PM

Well, I disagree.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:21 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Is this like when people thought Ozzy Osbourne & Judas Priest were signs of the devil?? Sorry, but I just don't buy it... music can be a powerful thing, but only a weak-minded person could be driven to doing something bad because of it. Not sure if that's what you're implying, but I have a feeling this discussion will go that direction - LOL. As for mixing it with church? Like SmerkyGirl said, I think it's actually a good idea... if you really want your religion to thrive, you'll have to adjust to living in the 21st century eventually. As we say in my library work, "anything that brings them in is a GOOD thing!"

Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Saw the video. Opinion still hasn't changed. Christianity must learn to change the ways of marketing its message (without changing its message) to stay alive or else it'll go the way of the Romans.
I have to seriously disagree with that.

Jesus said not even the gates of hell would prevail against His church, so there is no reason to think Christianity would somehow die off simply because the church didn't change the way it "marketed its message". I really don't like that concept......marketing its message? That makes it sound like the church is a business run by money hungry executives. The church isn't supposed to change in order to conform to the world's standards. It's supposed to be the PEOPLE who change when they come to church. That CNN video would almost have you believing that people worship U2 and Bono, which is a MAJOR reason why I don't step foot inside many churches. They somehow think it's okay to play secular rock music in a church.

I personally can't stand the idea of goth or rock and roll in church. That is incorporating the secular into the sacred. The Bible says a little leaven (yeast) ruins the whole batch.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I have to seriously disagree with that.

Jesus said not even the gates of hell would prevail against His church, so there is no reason to think Christianity would somehow die off simply because the church didn't change the way it "marketed its message". I really don't like that concept......marketing its message? That makes it sound like the church is a business run by money hungry executives. The church isn't supposed to change in order to conform to the world's standards. It's supposed to be the PEOPLE who change when they come to church. That CNN video would almost have you believing that people worship U2 and Bono, which is a MAJOR reason why I don't step foot inside many churches. They somehow think it's okay to play secular rock music in a church.

I personally can't stand the idea of goth or rock and roll in church. That is incorporating the secular into the sacred. The Bible says a little leaven (yeast) ruins the whole batch.
Well then I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree However, the truth is simply there: young people nowadays don't go to Church because they can't relate to it.

As far as "secular" goes, gospel music might have once been considered "secular" by the Roman Catholic Church, where only hymns are sung.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:45 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,285 times
I haven't watched the video. I am on dial up and haven't even tried, but your question reminded me of a magazine cover that I saw many years ago...it was a picture of a pierced tongue being stuck out to accept the Host (it was a Catholic magazine) and I believe it said something about changing with the times.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,804 times
Music is an important part of liturgy. Pope John Paul II once said, "those who sing, pray twice."

In the catholic church, we use liturgical music...music that has been used for centuries, as well as more contemporary music....but it has always been within guidelines of sacredness, holiness and contemplative and/or praise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality