Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 PM

259 posts, read 1,183,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Well then I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree However, the truth is simply there: young people nowadays don't go to Church because they can't relate to it.

As far as "secular" goes, gospel music might have once been considered "secular" by the Roman Catholic Church, where only hymns are sung.
I couldn't view the video for some reason.....
As for your comment, I agree that many young people don't go to church because they don't relate. But the reason they don't relate is not for a lack of rock music in church. Its for lack of a Christ-centered wordview that they have made into teenagehood without somehow getting from their church, their parents, or peers.
Its not the message or how its delievered thats irrelavant, its the audience thats irrelavent.

Its amazing how relative things can be when it comes to worship practices. To some churches I've been at, it wouldnt be strange to have electric guitar solos and loud drums, literally on the verge of rock and roll, all in a sunday morning service, while in some churches singing a hymn thats less than 100 years old seems "contemporary". I've learned to have an appreciation of any worship music, as long as its relevant and reverent. I'm only in my 20's but I'll take Martin Luther's 400 year old hymn "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" accompanied by piano/organ, rather than the best rock praise band if their lyrics are only fluff or aren't truly worshipful.
It kinda brings us to the whole singing-U2-songs-as-worship craze catching on in some churches. I think if you can find some spiritual reflection in a not-decidedly-worship song thats great but its very weak for corporate worship I think, and ultimately its sad that people's attitude of worship is so weak that pop music will bring them to church when nothing else wouldnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 12:43 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,744,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
and ultimately its sad that people's attitude of worship is so weak that pop music will bring them to church when nothing else wouldnt.
Sad it may be, but its working, is it not? Its bringing more people back to Church, its spurring interest in teens and that is the ultimate goal. I've discussed this subject with many people I know in real life before and I'll tell you what I told them: People can scorn and scoff at using modern ways to bring the message of Jesus and God. They can stick their noses up in the air and snort "oh such Nonsense!" But what brilliant solutions do they have to bring the youth back into the church circle? Usually they don't make any. My stance is: at least the churches and their clergy are trying. And the least you can do is not scoff at the attempts and drive would-be church attenders away.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:57 AM

I'm not scoffing. Believe me, I am in a church situation where the older generation is quite earnest in wanting to bring in young people because they've seen them decline to almost nothing. My wife is working with the youth at this time and we're brainstorming ideas.
But I also know that what you "get them with" is often what you "keep them with" so its a 2 edged sword. I've been to youth groups where they got the kids in with rock concerts, video games...... so they got them in, now what?? I would have given anything to have more honest, sit down bible studies with someone trying to engage me and challenge me, or real life experience trying to serve someone else than more of the fluffed up songs and games we often played in my youth group as a teen. It was never a slogan, or a tee shirt, or a certain music that brought me in.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:59 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,744,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
I'm not scoffing. Believe me, I am in a church situation where the older generation is quite earnest in wanting to bring in young people because they've seen them decline to almost nothing. My wife is working with the youth at this time and we're brainstorming ideas.
But I also know that what you "get them with" is often what you "keep them with" so its a 2 edged sword. I've been to youth groups where they got the kids in with rock concerts, video games...... so they got them in, now what?? I would have given anything to have more honest, sit down bible studies with someone trying to engage me and challenge me, or real life experience trying to serve someone else than more of the fluffed up songs and games we often played in my youth group as a teen. It was never a slogan, or a tee shirt, or a certain music that brought me in.
Ah, I suppose I've never seen it from that point of view before. Thank you for enlightening me from the other side

Old 06-09-2007, 01:10 AM

You're very welcome.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:01 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,205,650 times
This idea of "getting them in" is misdirected. We don't get anyone in God does. Your local sinner will not come to a Church on his or her own--unless God is in it. They might come if you invite them then what? Will they run to the altar and confess Christ? No, not likely unless God is in it. To attempt to "attract" with worldly incitements is going to backfire.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:04 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,656,069 times
I think this is a generational thing. My Mother has played the organ at church services for many years and she doesn't feel that certain kinds of modern music belong in a church but young people don't tend to feel that way. Some of the black churches have some really good music and vocals that are kind of an upbeat mix of soul, r&b and traditional. I do think rap would be out of place in a church though. You gotta draw the line somewhere.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:13 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,205,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I think this is a generational thing. My Mother has played the organ at church services for many years and she doesn't feel that certain kinds of modern music belong in a church but young people don't tend to feel that way. Some of the black churches have some really good music and vocals that are kind of an upbeat mix of soul, r&b and traditional. I do think rap would be out of place in a church though. You gotta draw the line somewhere.
Agreed.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:31 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,797,300 times
OK, I don't know if this matters, because this is just general discussion, but in Orlando there is a radio staion-Z88.3 (zradio.com). It is the Christian radio station that I have listened to for as long as they have been on the air. It is completely listener supported (no commercials). I love it. Very seldom listen to anything else. It's pretty much all my children know. But they (the radio station) are trying to reach out to other audiences and have started two other stations. I think that you can only get them with XM or on the net. Not sure. I only know about it because the had to raise the funds through the original (home) station and listeners. They got the money, so I assume the public went for it. There are two stations; one with rock and one with rap/hip-hop. I personally believe that if the youth of today are going to listen to it, it's a great thing. Much better to have them listening to words that have a Christian theme that the crap that I here pulling up in the parking lots. If the children are singing about God, does it really matter to what rhythm they are putting the words? And just so you don't go getting all huffy with me, I know the OP asked about bringing it into the church and to that I guess, to each his own. I really doubt that it will ever happen at a Catholic Mass, but I know that we just got new hymnals at our Parish and they do include some secular songs (Our God is an Awesome God) and every once in a while they'll actually sing a song and snap their fingers and clap their hands. Of course they try to hold that off until the recessional. lol Maybe they figure that they won't offend the older generation that way because they all left after the Eucurist anyway.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:40 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,760,611 times
Im probably on the far left as a Christian here....I love Rock of all kinds, I can relate to Christian rock, for example POD, Skillet, switchfoot, Kutless. I dont like 100 year old hymns, they bore me. I love worship music, with loud guitar, drums, bass. So as long as the message is Christ centered, it doesnt bother me at all. I love it!! Sometimes tradition drives people away that might have stayed.

Okay, the second part, I see anyway that gets someone to hear the message of Christ is a good thing. 100 ft banana split, pizza party--Im speaking of teens here--hayrides, you name it,,,, this may be the only chance they get to hear about Jesus, whether they accept him or not, you may have planted a seed there that someone else will water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality