Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 PM

433 posts, read 587,279 times

Advertisements

Anecdotal evidences (words of mouth that heard from others and then from some others) do not count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
Find a single sentence that was from your God, and provide your supporting evidence.
Anecdotal evidences (words of mouth that heard from others and then from some others) do not count.
Fair enough; in that case prove to me that you issued this challenge.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
God isn't a scientific theory. If you don't want to believe in God then don't.

Still there are the six constants referred to in atheist Martin Rees book "Just Six Numbers." He took this is as evidence there are multiple Universes, but this is a conjecture not really supported by any evidence. God or some kind of minded "First Cause" is maybe no more implausible. (I'm aware of De Grasse Tyson's emphasis on all the things in life that seem flawed or can kill us, but that's only an argument against perfection which is not necessarily relevant to religions that don't believe in a "Best of all Possible Worlds" outlook. It also doesn't deal with the unlikeliness of life itself)

There is also Fatima, Lanciano, Lourdes, various incorrupted bodies, numerous miracles relating to canonization of varied saints, and so forth. If you want to expand beyond my religion there are also various miracles attributed to other religions.

So from science, history, and human experience I think you can easily come up with...

It is plausible there is some kind of God.

There is some kind of supernatural or inexplicable force that occasionally impacts human life.

Eliminating contradictions in incidents this God/force wants us to pray, repent our wrongdoings, and help others.

Granted a very vague religion of "Pray and help others" is not all I believe, and is not enough to be a religion, but I think you could say it's a core element of what I believe. The core of Christianity is in a way "You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with your whole mind, and with your whole strength; you shall love your neighbor as yourself." So I guess you could say I'm saying those two sentences are of God.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think that's fair, all I ask in return is that you keep your beliefs out of my life.
In my day to day life I rarely even mention my beliefs to atheists. (Traditionally I'm strongly connected to a college so I did deal with some atheists) If they're not going to get in my face about "the Catholics" I'm not going to bother them.

However it's not reasonable to expect everyone in the world will always remain silent about their beliefs or not allow their beliefs to effect their politics. Atheists will sometimes bother me about "what the Catholics are doing", or did, even if it has nothing to do with my life. (I'm not enslaving eighteenth century Indians or burning condoms in Uganda, nor is anyone I know doing those) However they care about things so it's unreasonable to demand they'll never mention that. It's unreasonable to expect I won't care about the unborn, the dying, the congenitally disabled (granted I'd care about that even if I were atheist), or sexual morality.

At the same time I have no interest in specifically Catholic laws. Like laws banning homosexuality, remarriage after divorce, or contraception. I'm not even really opposed to some kind of same-sex civil union. There was a time I was even good with human cloning. I think the main reason I've changed on human cloning is because cloned animals seem unhealthy, you have to abort a fair amount before you get a successful clone, and it might lead to turning certain people into property. Still if something from my religion inspires some idea I have I don't feel a need to be ashamed of that. I don't think I should just leave my Catholicism at the house and outside do whatever.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:27 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,154 times
Quote:
whats the point of this thread-what are you trying to prove

Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
If someone gave you evidence, would you believe it or would you still question it and put it through the ringer, so to speak. What is true for one is not always true for another and that includes God talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality