Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:21 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,632,456 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this question regarding any supernatural phenomenon that has ever occurred and by that I would include miracles, extrasensory perception, astral projection, predicting the future, levitation of one's own body or any object, hauntings, ghosts, communicating with the dead, or any other event which appears to defy the laws of physics. This could be something of a religious nature or it could be some human ability that should seemingly be impossible. What I'm looking for is the single strongest case for any supernatural event that has authoritative and legitimate scientific evidence. By that I mean the kind of evidence you could take into a courtroom and present it to a jury and demonstrate that it is factual. Can anyone come up with any supernatural event that can meet that challenge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 03:25 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,073,559 times
The resurrection of Christ.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:31 PM

kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
Ok but if you had to present scientific evidence to back up that claim what would it be?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:31 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,195,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Were you there to see it? Or is it an event you read about?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,940 times
Given the purpose of the OP's question, when you respond please offer some information that you have about the REASON for your opinion and what are some authoritative sources of supporting evidence.

That is, a simple statement of one's own belief is not addressing the OP's topic.

(What has happened to America's educational system?)

Old 04-06-2009, 05:00 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
My guess would be ghosts simply because of the amount of time effort and scientific and or psyudo-scientific research that goes into this topic. Additional in some places that are considered very haunted attempts are being made to find repeatable empirical tests (ie anomalous electrical readings, inexplicable temperature changes in a confined area, audio recordings etc. to prove that something ghostly may actually exist.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 04-06-2009 at 05:10 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,127,428 times
One candidate might be the apparitions of Fatima in 1917. While only the 3 children saw and heard the 3-foot-tall "Lady," the event on October 13 was witnessed by an estimated 70,000 people. Some accounts put the number closer to 50,000. Witness descriptions of the aerial display generally agree although exactly what it was they saw is debatable.

Edit: I'm not arguing for the supernatural. Just saying that if we had 50,000 witnesses to a crime today, that would be sufficient corroboration to be accepted in court.

Last edited by Astron1000; 04-06-2009 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM

Randomstudent wrote:
Quote:
My guess would be ghosts simply because of the amount of time effort and scientific and or psudo-scientific research that goes into this topic.
The problem with that is when you look at some of the documentaries on tv in which people who are supposedly psychic investigators they never really come up with anything of any substance. They always seem to wear black clothes and act kind of spooky but they're really short on evidence. I think there's been at least as much investigation on esp and sometimes by some very highly educated people who were doing their best to do a legitimate scientific study of the subject. None of those have ever panned out either. You've probably guessed that I don't believe that there's any single supernatural event in history that's ever been documented and proven to be true.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:32 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Randomstudent wrote:

The problem with that is when you look at some of the documentaries on tv in which people who are supposedly psychic investigators they never really come up with anything of any substance. They always seem to wear black clothes and act kind of spooky but they're really short on evidence. I think there's been at least as much investigation on esp and sometimes by some very highly educated people who were doing their best to do a legitimate scientific study of the subject. None of those have ever panned out either. You've probably guessed that I don't believe that there's any single supernatural event in history that's ever been documented and proven to be true.
Of course not the guys on television are not really experts they just play them on TV (the Sci-fi channel ones are plumbers I believe. The entire plumber thing seems to be a common theme nowadays but I digress.) The fact of the matter is that because of the research that has been conducted, even though it may be of questionable merit it appears in certain areas inexplicable things such as localized temperature changes and electrical anomalies seem to occur with greater frequency then would be expected for reasons as yet unknown. I will agree there are only limited if any professionally conducted studies in the field, but at the same time these anomalies seem suspicious. I understand you are skeptical supernatural, but at the same time things that are now classified as supernatural may in fact be natural phenomina, which we do not fully understand yet. A case in point is auras. In the past certain people realized if they concentrated could feel a person's aura. This was considered supernatural until we discovered that human bodies have an electrical field that some people can indeed feel given the right conditions. I believe something like this may explain hauntings, but until then they remain "supernatural."

Old 04-06-2009, 05:43 PM

Randomstudent wrote:
Quote:
In the past certain people realized if they concentrated could feel a person's aura. This was considered supernatural until we discovered that human bodies have an electrical field that some people can indeed feel given the right conditions. I believe something like this may explain hauntings, but until then they remain "supernatural."
I agree that a phenomenon that isn't yet understood such as the existence of radio waves to a primitive tribe in an isolated part of the world would be considered to be supernatural until they gained an understanding of what it really was. As far as auras are concerned I realize that a living thing does exude a kind of electrical field but I am very skeptical about people who claim that they can actually see your aura and even interpret what it means in terms of what color it is, the intensity, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality