Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:10 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times

Advertisements

I live in the Atlanta area, and this weekend violent storms and tornadoes roared through the deep south. Tragically, some people were killed in Mississippi.

I was watching the TV news, and a survivor was interviewed. He was giving his account of how his entire home was destroyed but he had taken shelter under a table and was not harmed. He credited this to Jesus and to Jesus looking out for him.

Now I'm fine with that and support people believing whatever they want to believe, but I gotta tell you that it just reinforces my atheist beliefs and makes me chuckle just a bit. If Jesus was really looking out for this guy, why didn't he make the tornado miss his house completely, or why didn't he prevent a tornado from forming? Why did Jesus claim 10 lives, including small children? Why wasn't he looking out for them?

It's funny how religious people can rationalize anything, and I know some of you will hit me with "God's will" and that God supposedly works in "mysterious ways" but really...isn't it all just a bit naive when we take random acts of nature and try to assign some order or reason to them through religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,546 times
or maybe its just a karmic thing and that goes to show you that even if your in the same path as a tornado thats about to take 10 peoples lives and its not your time to go then God will allow you to survive-dont worry about deat,nobody realy dies and no-one can stay here forever-everyone must leave sometime whether that be through a tornado or old age or disease or even murder-bt you cant kill the soul which is the eternal life force that resides in the body-it is the symptom of consioussness itself and it is you-the enjoyer or sufferer.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I live in the Atlanta area, and this weekend violent storms and tornadoes roared through the deep south. Tragically, some people were killed in Mississippi.

I was watching the TV news, and a survivor was interviewed. He was giving his account of how his entire home was destroyed but he had taken shelter under a table and was not harmed. He credited this to Jesus and to Jesus looking out for him.

Now I'm fine with that and support people believing whatever they want to believe, but I gotta tell you that it just reinforces my atheist beliefs and makes me chuckle just a bit. If Jesus was really looking out for this guy, why didn't he make the tornado miss his house completely, or why didn't he prevent a tornado from forming? Why did Jesus claim 10 lives, including small children? Why wasn't he looking out for them?

It's funny how religious people can rationalize anything, and I know some of you will hit me with "God's will" and that God supposedly works in "mysterious ways" but really...isn't it all just a bit naive when we take random acts of nature and try to assign some order or reason to them through religion?
I tend to agree with your view.
As a Christian, I wonder who to pray for when flying in a jet at 30,000 feet.
Nevertheless, it's the view of many Christians that all things good are atributable to a loving God.
Which by extension begs the question; "why do bad things happen to good people?"
And that thread would be interesting

Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
I saw that on the news this morning as well and was like what?

You're right though...people will allude their reason why they are still living miraculously to Jesus's or God's will. And there answer to why 10 children were killed would be because it was just their time. Religion always needs to have an explanation for horrible incidents like this to ease the minds of those that cannot comprehend how something like that could've happened.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Religion always needs to have an explanation for horrible incidents like this to ease the minds of those that cannot comprehend how something like that could've happened.
Well, and that's the crux (no pun intended) of the whole discussion around religion. Many years ago, humans needed a supernatural explanation to explain what was then the inexplicable. Today, aren't we sufficiently advanced to not need that kind of crutch?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
Many believe in 'God' yet don't believe he micro-manages everything.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:56 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Many believe in 'God' yet don't believe he micro-manages everything.
They tend to be the ones who understand what Dominion and Free Will actually mean.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
It's just what people say. Still if feeling blessed leads this person to do good in this life than that's good.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I saw that on the news this morning as well and was like what?

You're right though...people will allude their reason why they are still living miraculously to Jesus's or God's will. And there answer to why 10 children were killed would be because it was just their time. Religion always needs to have an explanation for horrible incidents like this to ease the minds of those that cannot comprehend how something like that could've happened.
Yeah, my grandaddy used to say that "no one can die before their time, when they die, it is their time"

Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

When negitive energy is created in this reality...it has to resolve itself somewhere!
Usually on those who support the root of that negitive energy.

So...all tax payers who support warfare in the world...shall be visited upon by the wrath and woes they create...as someone said it is karma!

Karma only can direct itself to a certain degree of accuracy though.

As when God saw the Jews making an Idol below the mountain, and said to Moses to make hast...for they have corrupted themselves...
When Moses saw what was going on in the camp...he raised the laws of God, and through them at the golden altar they made...and God's anger was kindled against them all...Some were innocent...some were not.

Now according to the Biblical religion of the Jews and Jesus...Death is not a problem for God to solve...as he shows us with Jesus...
So if children (who may be innocent) are killed by the woes and wrath...God can bring em back when God wants to.
But does he have to bring em back here?

NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality