Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:01 PM

177 posts, read 472,002 times
Its not do as I command or burn in hell. What radical churches have you all been to? Yeah, theres 10 commandments but noone keeps to those. Youd have to be perfect to do that. The belief is that God sent his son to die for our transgressions so that we may live. Through prayer and the acceptance of God's gift, we are saved. Christianity is based on GRACE. God loves us and he forgives us if we ask him to. All have fallen short of the glory of god. All have sinned. But he is willing to accept us as we are-broken. You can ask for forgiveness 10 times a day and he will forgive you and love you just as you are. If you accept God and ask him to change you and forgive you of your sins, you are saved. Yes, you should continue a relationship with him but you are still saved! You will sin again...and he will save you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 05:02 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,700,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
Which god had the only path to salvation based on love for each person? pagan religions believe in animals being gods...god demanding us to suffer. Christianity is based on God's love for us and the death and resurrection of his Son. Through prayer and building a relationship with God, we are saved. Not through various abstract actions. Thats what tells you what god.

Just so you know, not all Pagan gods are animals nor do they want all to suffer. Husband's family is Pagan. Most around LOOOOOONG time before the Bible was written. not all of it is horror freak show like some like to put upon the Pagans. Alot of it was even more tame than that of what god did as punishment.

Like Balder, Hermod and more.
Library: A Small Dictionary of Pagan Gods & Goddesses-Norse

Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 PM

177 posts, read 472,002 times
What did God do as punishment?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,363,477 times
Quote:
The debate on God or no God has stricken our generation moreso than any other. Here is my philosophy on the matter:

Say that you are an Atheist...you dont believe in God or you hate God...
When you die, you have a 50% chance of being wrong. No person on this earth would gamble their careers, homes, cars, and other belongings on a 50% chance. Why gamble the future away? Consider this: what if God does exist? what if you are wrong? what if when you die you go to hell? Was it worth being skeptical? If God doesn't exist, then when you die, you will reincarnate or walk the earth as a spirit or whatever you believe. Then you can say you were right. But that 50% chance is still lurking in the back of your mind until you die. Why take that chance? Believe in God, take a chance, and at least if we are all wrong you wont have anything to lose when you die.

YouTube - Betting on infinity

Quote:
One infinite reward is now set against many infinite punishments

We can invest in things we can never know. But that is nonsensical
With the potential infinity of conflicting ideas it represents, there is no hope of formulating a 'best strategy'.

Alternatively, we can invest in the knowable. Exploring our universe with intellectual honesty and rigor, living with respect and awareness alongside our fellow humans.

If we get some supernatural punishment for that, the cards were so stacked that none of us ever stood a chance

Old 04-28-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Its not do as I command or burn in hell. What radical churches have you all been to? Yeah, theres 10 commandments but noone keeps to those. Youd have to be perfect to do that. The belief is that God sent his son to die for our transgressions so that we may live. Through prayer and the acceptance of God's gift, we are saved. Christianity is based on GRACE. God loves us and he forgives us if we ask him to. All have fallen short of the glory of god. All have sinned. But he is willing to accept us as we are-broken. You can ask for forgiveness 10 times a day and he will forgive you and love you just as you are. If you accept God and ask him to change you and forgive you of your sins, you are saved. Yes, you should continue a relationship with him but you are still saved! You will sin again...and he will save you.
So if I dont ask for this forgiveness for things, HE doesn't like, I wont go to heaven? So my husband's family will burn because they wont give up there beliefs and traditions, to follow his, no other gods before me ( how if they dont exist why would he say this) honor mother and father ( even if they abuse you) on and on. So I have to ask in order to get his love, I would think he would KNOW I am a good person.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,116,775 times
Although I believe in God, I have considered this question before and have concluded that it wouldn't "work" anyway to "fake it until you make it." A god of any description, really, would pretty much know that a person wasn't actually spiritually moved but rather was simply trying to cover his or her own butt...right?

I mean what if my husband said to himself, "I don't really love my wife but just in case I'll get punished after death for not loving her, I'll pretend to for now," I'd say, "Hmmm. Spank off, sparky...here's your clothing...don't let the door hit ya." Similarly, if I were God and people said "I don't want to gamble, so I'll say I believe just in case even though I'm just not moved," I'd say, "Well. Bite me, people." Maybe not literally, but you get the gist.

I can see continued searching if one is moved to do so, but I just don't believe anyone can "fake" faith in anything and be successful and I don't believe people can be scared into real faith by ominous warnings that perhaps they're wrong about their lack of belief and are going to wind up in hell.

ETA...I'm sorry...I was quoted before I added edits! Hope this doesn't confuse anybody.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
What did God do as punishment?
Oh come on, you read the bible, wiped out the earth, flood, for one, Cities destroyed, people on and on. The bible is one of the most violent and bloody, books I have ever read.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Although I believe in God, I have considered this question before and have concluded that it wouldn't "work" anyway to "fake it until you make it." A god of any description, really, would pretty much know that a person wasn't actually spiritually moved but rather was simply trying to cover his or her own butt...right?

If I were God and people said "I don't want to gamble, so I'll say I believe just in case even though I'm just not moved," I'd say, "Well. Bite me, people." Maybe not literally, but you get the gist.

I just don't believe anyone can "fake" faith in anything and be successful.
Yes, you are correct, God is all knowing I am told, he would know what is in your heart, you should be judged by that, not a little set of rules.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:18 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,115,439 times
God made me a skeptic. How about that? Who are you to question God

Why do some of you worship a God that sounds like the equivalent to The Emperor from Star Wars. What does he say to Luke as he's zapping him with lightning at the end of Return of the Jedi? "You will pay for your lack of vision!" Yeah, that'd be us god-haters, I guess

Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,879,646 times
Quote:
If he will save you now, than why wouldn't he save you in the next life? I'll tell you why... because churches need a carrot and/or a whip to get people to follow along with the organization.

I'll believe what god tells me when/if he tells me. Everything else is just men claiming god has told them, and unsuprisingly enough, they all have an agenda (especially to get a cut of my hard earned and way too small paycheck).

That's not betting on the odds for or against god, it's not being taken for a fool AND a ride.

Last edited by Chango; 04-28-2010 at 06:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality