Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 12:07 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
This is an answer I gave on another thread, but it's applicable here also:

Christians believe we (mankind) live forever. This life is like a training ground of sorts. What we do in this life, by placing our faith in the redemptive work of Jesus, and then living out the Christian life, prepares us for eternity. This life is but a whisper; eternity is forever. You can survive & actually succeed (by man's standards) in this life without Christ, but what about the life to come?

C. S. Lewis, atheist turned Christian, wrote much about this in his book "Mere Christianity".
While it may be preparation for a life you believe you'll have, it is still limiting one's self in this 100% conclusively irrefutable life.

You can't tell me that there aren't Christians out there that look at a situation here on earth and end up pushing it off because they have an afterlife where they don't have to deal with it. What I'm saying here is that there are things in the here and now that could be dealt with, but since this life is just a shell anyhow that all falls through the cracks. Why fix this piddly life when you can weave through it and have everything be perfect later? While there are many knowledgeable Christians out there who actually do utilize your view above, you can't tell me that the masses of believers are this way. If you lose the bet and your beliefs were just that, beliefs you just blew the one short whisper of a chance at life that you will ever have for all eternity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Ah.... Pascal's old wager.

You do know that even he considered it a joke, right?

Let's pretend for a second that the OP is correct... you have a 50-50 chance of being right.

What if you choose, "Yes. There is a god," and it turns out you said yes to the wrong one?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
While it may be preparation for a life you believe you'll have, it is still limiting one's self in this 100% conclusively irrefutable life.

You can't tell me that there aren't Christians out there that look at a situation here on earth and end up pushing it off because they have an afterlife where they don't have to deal with it. What I'm saying here is that there are things in the here and now that could be dealt with, but since this life is just a shell anyhow that all falls through the cracks. Why fix this piddly life when you can weave through it and have everything be perfect later? While there are many knowledgeable Christians out there who actually do utilize your view above, you can't tell me that the masses of believers are this way.
Things like what?

Any self-proclaimed Christian who is not using this life to serve God & serve others is probably not a true believer.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Any self-proclaimed Christian who is not using this life to serve God & serve others is probably not a true believer.
The tendency of Christians to declare other Christians to be non-Christian is one of Christianity's most Christian characteristics.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
I've already stepped on a crack and didn't break my mother's back. I've walked under ladders, and have had black cats cross my path with do consequence. I'm not going to fall for the biggest superstition. Keep praying, and we will all benefit from the so called "miracles."

Old 05-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
The tendency of Christians to declare other Christians to be non-Christian is one of Christianity's most Christian characteristics.
God is the true Judge. But, Christians should have certain characteristics, should they not? Anyone who claims to be a Christian, but does nothing in service to God has probably not had a life-changing experience.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
God is the true Judge.
Maybe, maybe not. It is pretty pointless to speculate on the character of God. I myself am humble enough to put very few expectations on God. But I admit to at least this much hubris:

I do expect any competent God should be capable of at least delivering a single volume of unambiguous prose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej
But, Christians should have certain characteristics, should they not? Anyone who claims to be a Christian, but does nothing in service to God has probably not had a life-changing experience.
Well... that's certainly what Christians always say when they are in the process of mutually condemning each other as non-Christian. So even were we to assume arguendo that "Christians should have certain characteristics," how are we to figure out what those characteristics might be?

Christians themselves do not appear to have a good handle on them, that much is certain.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. It is pretty pointless to speculate on the character of God. I myself am humble enough to put very few expectations on God. But I admit to at least this much hubris:

I do expect any competent God should be capable of at least delivering a single volume of unambiguous prose.
Maybe...

Quote:
Well... that's certainly what Christians always say when they are in the process of mutually condemning each other as non-Christian. So even were we to assume arguendo that "Christians should have certain characteristics," how are we to figure out what those characteristics might be?

Christians themselves do not appear to have a good handle on them, that much is certain.
Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven. The standard we are to live by is the Bible, especially the New Testament. Not one believer will achieve perfection. Christ alone did that for us.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven. The standard we are to live by is the Bible, especially the New Testament. Not one believer will achieve perfection. Christ alone did that for us.
Well see? There you go.

Even you don't bother to try.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Well see? There you go.

Even you don't bother to try.
How do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality