Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:57 PM

433 posts, read 587,279 times

Advertisements

That's the most frequently asked question from a religious person -- how would you answer it?

Well, it may come in different versions, but they all mean the same thing:

"What do atheists believe?"
"What do you think created the universe?"
"What are your moral values and worldview?"
"Is nature your God?"

Old 05-15-2010, 05:09 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
"Is nature your God?"
Atheists don't all believe the same thing. Some believe in the supernatural, many do not. The only thing atheists have in common is that we do not believe there is a god or gods.

I do not believe any intelligent or guiding force created the universe. I don't know how the universe was created, but it appears from the cutting edge science, that it is possible that the universe just popped into existence.

I have a naturalistic and materialistic worldview. I do not believe in magic or mystical powers or divine forces or spirits or ghosts, or sin. Here are my moral aspirations:

1) Strive to use your best judgment. Realize that these commandments are aspirational in nature. Their intent is to guide and inspire toward the very highest ethical ideals. There may be times when the most appropriate course is to supercede one of these principles, so use your best judgment. Practice moderation - you need not run faster than you have strength.

2) Strive to limit the harm one causes. Be aware of the possible consequences of your actions, and make a reasonable effort to not cause unnecessary injury or obstruction or damage. This includes harm to one's self, others, all creation and the environment. This does not mean that you should seclude yourself so as to limit the chances of doing anyone harm and it is understood that by living you will cause some harm - you have to eat something, your body fights bacteria, you will produce some waste products, etc. Be reasonable with one's expectations on this point.

3) Strive to benefit one's self, others, and the environment. In as much as it is possible, and with respect for the desires of others (i.e., don't help when your help is reasonably not wanted), help all to live healthily and adaptively.

4) Strive to be trustworthy. Excepting times when honesty puts others in danger, seek to be honest in your dealings with others. Hold in confidence information that should be kept confidential. Act with integrity and be true and honest with one's self.

5) Strive to take appropriate responsibility for one's actions. Keep your word and uphold your commitments. Repair the damage your actions may have caused. Sincerely apologize to, and if possible reimburse, individuals you may have injured. Know the laws and what is expected of you. Once you have done what you can to right your wrongs, forgive yourself and move on.

6) Strive to be fair and just. Inasmuch as possible practice equity. Be aware of and try to limit the influence of one's biases and prejudices.

7) Strive to respect and protect the rights and dignity of one's self, others, and all of creation. It is not enough to ensure that you are not mistreating others, you must strive for social justice for humans and the humane treatment of animals. All people have a right to self-determination. Special safeguards may be necessary to protect the rights and welfare of persons or communities whose vulnerabilities impair autonomous decision making.

8) Strive to be patient and forgiving. Try to have patience with one's self, others, and anticipated events in life. Free yourself of the bondage of resentment and disappointment.

9) Strive to gain understanding. Knowledge enables one to make better use of that which is available and helps one to successfully adapt to one's environment.

10) Strive to love, show empathy, and be compassionate. We are a social species and for much of our lives are dependent on one another. It is important to our well-being and mental and emotional health to have strong relationships with others. Loving is satisfying to the soul and beautiful. Empathy and compassion can calm arguments and disagreements.

Nature is not my god. I do not have a god.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:56 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times

I think some of us ask that because atheism itself doesn't necessarily tell us what you believe. An atheist can be a Rationalist, a Romanticist, a Positivist, an Existentialist, a Humanist, a Marxist, an Objectivist, a Utilitarian, a mixture of things, or not believe in any formal system. More than that I've heard of atheists who are Taoist, Zen, and even one who was a Neo-Thomist of some kind.

Granted "what do atheists believe" is an awkward question because they believe so many things. However asking an individual atheist what they believe as an individual should be useful.

This is often meant to get at the "First Cause" and Anthropic issues and how they deal with them. Still in my reading of atheists I think many to most of them do have answers to this.

The main ones I know of are

*The Universe is the creation of branes colliding in multidimensional space. Branes in some sense always existed.
*The Universe is self-creating from a Big Bang. As the Big Bang started time asking what happened "before it" is irrational and unnecessary.
*The Universe is eternal and the Big Bang theory is somehow wrong or at least incomplete. (A minority view, but I've heard it. The brane deal could be a variant on it)

I imagine this is asked due to the assumption that without God people can do anything because there is no standard.

However as a Catholic I think reason and observation of humanity can create a basically valid moral standard. I'm skeptical it's one that's all that helpful if you need rehabilitation from an addiction or disorder, or that it would encourage much that's outside self-interest or utility, but for most things it's likely adequate so you shouldn't see much moral difference.

Judging by studies the advantage of an atheist morality is less bigotry based on race, ethnicity, and sexual orientation. Atheists tend to be less traditional and those vices are "traditional" ones. The disadvantage is a tendency to be more self-involved and stingy. Possibly an atheist is both less prone to hurt or help others, hence less prison and less charity. (Although the prison thing is a bit of a red-herring as if you look to religions with similar education/wealth profiles as atheists they are usually not ending up in prison much either. People who are well-educated are either smart enough not to commit crimes or smart enough not to get caught or smart enough to have good lawyers. Further prisons tend to encourage "jail house conversions" as religion provides an outlet and may look good in parole hearings)

"Is nature your God?"

This last would imply asking if an atheist is a pantheist. Some people who call themselves atheist really are some kind of pantheist instead, but it's probably not wise to assume that.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 05-15-2010 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 10:43 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
Quote:
In life (or existence) and its wonderfulness and terribleness.

Quote:
Who cares? Why can't the universe have always existed? Compared to my lifespan it has. I'm not a preacher or a physicist. Whether or not there was a beginning is not high priority in my life. So, I can't answer this question.

Quote:
The Golden Rule. It is the root of all morality, ethics, and religion; and without it the concept of God, as enforcer and rewarder, would not have been thought up, in my opinion.

Quote:
"Is nature your God?"...
No.

Sorry, I'm not talented enough in writing to come up with any profound statements.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:22 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
That's the most frequently asked question from a religious person -- how would you answer it?

Well, it may come in different versions, but they all mean the same thing:

Many things, just not god/the supernatural.

Quote:
I don't know and I find it rather superfluous.

Quote:
Honor, kindness, compassion, the Golden rule, opposing and combating any and all evil.

Quote:
"Is nature your God?"
No, although some posters would like to believe it is.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:43 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
That's the most frequently asked question from a religious person
Ugh, no it's not. And it's obvious Atheist have no God. They don't believe in one. But in my opinion, they do seem to be a religion within themselves. But anyway, I could care less. Why do people always assume religious folk spend their time thinking about what unbelievers think? Nobody cares! Sometimes I might want to know something so I ask a question or make a thread to get a opinion and outlook from different people, but that's it. I don't KEEP asking questions as if I have some sort of desire to be like them or have some major issue with them. I move on and bounce.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:55 AM

49 posts, read 64,672 times

That the universe somehow created itself out of nothing for no reason, that only the strong should survive and the weak be killed(evolution), that the savior Jesus was a mad man and that there is no benevolent God so everything is permissible.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:54 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgoodChristian View Post

That the universe somehow created itself out of nothing for no reason, that only the strong should survive and the weak be killed(evolution), that the savior Jesus was a mad man and that there is no benevolent God so everything is permissible.
Stop trolling, your statement shows a complete lack and comprehension of atheists. If you read any of the above statements nowhere did anyone say Jesus was a mad man and we do not believe everything is permissable.

I for one as an atheist believe Jesus was at a minimum a highly influential historical figure. And as an above poster wrote, we do have morals.

Fact of the matter is atheists are ok with not knowing completely how to explain some things and religious folk like yourself Moderator cut: deleted- insult think you know how it all happened because you read it in some Moderator cut: delted book.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-16-2010 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 06:38 AM

49 posts, read 64,672 times
If there is no God then everything is permissible. Where do you get your morals from?

Old 05-16-2010, 06:51 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgoodChristian View Post
If there is no God then everything is permissible. Where do you get your morals from?
Social contract. Golden Rule. Evolutionary biology hardwiring decent behavior into our brains.

Your statement simply shows a lack of ethical understanding and moral development on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality