Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times

Advertisements

Here is another interesting quote I would like everyone to discuss. What do you think the author meant and do you agree? What does the quote mean to you personally?

Quote:
Moral freedom is the absence of the influence of motives on a person's actions.

Here are links to the previous editions:

August 2009
May 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I am making the assumption that "moral freedom" is equivalent to amorality. That being said, I can't see that it has anything to do with the "absence of the influence of motives". The latter would give one no reason to do anything, so no actions would take place. I regard the statement as nonsense. It simply doesn't compute.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:11 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Do you believe then that every conscious action is influenced by a motive? Furthermore, does morality dictate the nature of every motive?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:17 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Here is another interesting quote I would like everyone to discuss. What do you think the author meant and do you agree? What does the quote mean to you personally?

August 2009
May 2009
I think every action has a motive. Motives can be for good or ill, subtle or grand. I honestly tried to think of an instance where I did something (or refrained from doing something) just for no reason whatsoever. In my mind, even doing something "because it's the right thing to do" or because we get a warm fuzzy from it is still motivation. Doing something "just to see what would happen" is still a motivation. Those are just intrinsic and subtle motivations.

If the author had said, "ulterior motive", then that would make more sense to me.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:27 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Hmm.. moral Freedom seems to have two definitions -

The freedom to make Moral choices (comes across to me as Free Will)

The freedom from moral constraints - one does whatever the hell one wants, without consideration of the effects.

I'd certainly respond well to the first but not the second, because I take the Golden Rule as the touchstone of morality.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:33 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

August 2009
May 2009
To me, that means that you are so loving that no matter what action one takes towards you, you will love them back for who they are and not what. Their unloving actions will have no affect on you. You can see light instead of darkness in one who has murderered or raped. You see god in every human being no matter what they believe or do or say. Moral freedom is just being Love.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:35 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times
Wiki talks about this very thing.
Kinda confirms what I believe and that is that we always do things because of a previous cause.
And so in a sense we have no free will as most people think about free will.
  • "Physical freedom is the absence of physical obstacles to actions. This is commonly thought to constitute freedom of the will.
  • Intellectual freedom results when the mind has a clear knowledge of the abstract or concrete motives to action. This occurs when the mind is not affected by, for example, extreme passion or mind-altering substances.
  • Moral freedom is the absence of the influence of motives on a person's actions.
  • Self-consciousness is a person's awareness of his or her own emotions, passions, wanting, and willing."
read what wiki says, its rather interesting.
On the Freedom of the Will - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Aeroman; 05-25-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality