Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 PM

8 posts, read 18,116 times

Advertisements

ive recently become intreeged by the big bang theory, could it possibly be something, out of nothing, like god created? or is it a bunch of crap. big bang theorist say there was some rpe existing energy that concentrted and exploded, but how would there be energy? and if it created gases, why would they form planets and not fly off into the "newly formed" universe, id like to here some other peoples opinions on this thing, maybe educate me a bit more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 PM

157 posts, read 624,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanx View Post
ive recently become intreeged by the big bang theory, could it possibly be something, out of nothing, like god created? or is it a bunch of crap. big bang theorist say there was some rpe existing energy that concentrted and exploded, but how would there be energy? and if it created gases, why would they form planets and not fly off into the "newly formed" universe, id like to here some other peoples opinions on this thing, maybe educate me a bit more
I really like Fred Hoyle's analogy which he calls the "junkyard mentality" the question asked is what are the chances that a tornado might blow through a junkyard containing all the parts of a 747, accidentally assemble them into a plane, and leave it ready for take-off? He states the possiblities are so small as to be negligible even if a tornado were to blow through enough junkyards to fill the whole universe. He wrote a very impressive book "The Intelligent Universe," in which he concludes, "as biochemists discover more and more about the awesome complexity of life, it is apparent that it's chances of originating by accident are so minute that they can be completly ruled out. Life cannot have come about by chance or explosion."

Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbee View Post
I really like Fred Hoyle's analogy which he calls the "junkyard mentality" the question asked is what are the chances that a tornado might blow through a junkyard containing all the parts of a 747, accidentally assemble them into a plane, and leave it ready for take-off? He states the possiblities are so small as to be negligible even if a tornado were to blow through enough junkyards to fill the whole universe. He wrote a very impressive book "The Intelligent Universe," in which he concludes, "as biochemists discover more and more about the awesome complexity of life, it is apparent that it's chances of originating by accident are so minute that they can be completly ruled out. Life cannot have come about by chance or explosion."

Huh... and Hoyle even has a fallacy named after him.. Hoyles Fallacy..

anyway.. this should give you a good idea of the theory..

Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,073 times
See this one: The Intelligent Universe. (Fred Hoyle). A summary and review by Gert Korthof

Hoyle's analogy shows misunderstanding of evolution. The process operating on the parts that bring about the new organism is cumulative.

Regarding a summary of the Big Bang Theory (from the Wikipedia.org article):
//
Before observations of dark energy, cosmologists considered two scenarios for the future of the universe. If the mass density of the universe were greater than the critical density, then the universe would reach a maximum size and then begin to collapse. It would become denser and hotter again, ending with a state that was similar to that in which it started—a Big Crunch [with the possibility of an eternal series of Big Bang/Big Crunch oscillations]. Alternatively, if the density in the universe were equal to or below the critical density, the expansion would slow down, but never stop. Star formation would cease as all the interstellar gas in each galaxy is consumed; stars would burn out leaving white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes. Very gradually, collisions between these would result in mass accumulating into larger and larger black holes. The average temperature of the universe would asymptotically approach absolute zero—a Big Freeze.
//

Last edited by ParkTwain; 11-07-2007 at 01:04 AM..

Old 11-07-2007, 06:14 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,459 times
Here in the wisdom of the bible you have the Big Bang explained metaphorically (imho)

1:1. In the beginning God created heaven, and earth.
In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram
1:2. And the earth was void and empty, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God moved over the waters. <--- Aether? Dark matter/energy? Quintessence?
Terra autem erat inanis et vacua et tenebrae super faciem abyssi et spiritus Dei ferebatur super aquas
1:3. And God said: Be light made. And light was made. <--- Holy spirit? Om? Amen? The verbe/word of God?? Cosmic energy??
Dixitque Deus fiat lux et facta est lux
1:4. And God saw the light that it was good; and he divided the light from the darkness. <--- Big bang??
Et vidit Deus lucem quod esset bona et divisit lucem ac tenebras

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-07-2007 at 06:28 AM..

Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,110 times
Here's a couple articles specifically related to the OP: What about the big bang?
Institute for Creation Research - "The Big Bang Theory Collapses"

Here's a link to more information regarding the biblical creationist stance on the big bang...

Astronomy and Astrophysics Q&A

Old 11-07-2007, 08:55 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
evanx, sorry but I don't have the wisdom to educate anyone on this subject..I will just give my own humble opinion ..Yes I do believe that the big bang t could have happened... I really don't stay awake at nights trying to solve the mysteries of God..I just know that however the universe began that He did it

Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,666 times
Yes.. back to the OT. I'd suggest the Original Poster just google Big Bang. You should come up with quite a few links.

If you believe the earth is no more than 6,000-10,000 years old because your faith requires that then I'd certainly use the Institute for Creation Research as a source. It can provide you with all the 'answers' you'll want to find (including Computer Scientists writing articles about evolution).

I'd highly suggest you also look for papers written from schools that are properly accredited.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,583 times
I think the "Big Bang" theory is certainly possible, and that it is, IMO, likely that God Himself caused it. If that is the case, then there is no basis to assume that this explosion was uncontrolled. If God did it, then would He not assign every last molecule of substance a precise path outwards in the universe? That it was no mere freak accident of nature....?

Bud

Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 AM

320 posts, read 296,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanx View Post
I hate it when people attempt to show me an example in person about why the big-bang theory isn't real. They'll grab a pile of stuff - like rocks - throw them on the ground and say, "I don't see these rocks forming into a house."

Wow... lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality