Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,398 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of moving to Reno, NV from FL? Trying to make the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 12:23 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
On the PRO side:
- No hurricanes
- No hurricane insurance
- No alligators
- Few bugs
- Dry air
- Fewer snowbirds

On the CON side:
- No fresh dockside seafood
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:45 PM

783 posts, read 840,129 times
Can you share what city or geographical area you currently reside?

What do you enjoy about your current lifestyle in that locale and what you want to avoid or dislike about it?

What are you looking for as far as lifestyle, employment, recreation, climate, crime?

Also, do some searches online or in City-Data, there are websites that allow you to make comparisons between cities on cost of living, climate, crime, housing....

Old 12-10-2020, 03:14 PM

7,134 posts, read 4,540,768 times
The COL keeps rising here and smoke from fires are not fun. I love the mild 4 seasons, so close to Tahoe, the beauty of the mountains, people are nice and there are so many things to do. I moved here 23 years ago and love it!

Old 12-11-2020, 02:15 PM

Thank you. Helpful. I am concerned about the fires and air quality in Reno. My air in Miami Beach is very good. I would love to be near the mountains and lakes since FL is so flat but I am not sure it is worth giving up the blue skies, clean air and water of FL. I am a runner, cyclist, boater, landscaper, hiker and camper - if I can do more of this in Reno then it wins but if not then maybe not a good move.

Also, when I look for real estate in Reno (rent and sale) I cannot tell where the good areas are located. Are there neighborhoods or towns that are close to Reno where you can get greenery ? (trees, grass, flowers, etc) or water? seems like a lot of brown, sand, rocks and no water. Any suggestions in this regard are appreciated!

Old 12-11-2020, 02:22 PM

Default Best places to live near Reno

Can anyone suggest where to rent/buy in or around Reno? Max 30 - 45 minute commute to downtown please. Greenery - trees, grass, flowers, and/or water is a plus. Thanks!

Old 12-11-2020, 02:39 PM

The California fires do cause poor air quality in Northern Nevada at times. Usually for a week at most in the late summer. Reno can have inversions in the winter where some pollutants can build up. The past few winters this has not happened much, but it can happen off and on. Otherwise, the air is crisp and clean with the currents generally blowing over the high Sierra into our valleys. It is generally very sunny.

Northern Nevada does deserve the outdoor adventure paradise moniker. The Sierra Mountains are full of beautiful forest, trails for mountain biking and hiking, alpine lakes for boating and kayak adventures and world-class ski resorts. We also have the high-desert valley lakes for boating and rivers to explore and BLM open space all around full of old mining roads and trails with minimal regulations on use.

I personally would add Carson City or Douglas County to your searches for a new location. There are plenty of neighborhoods that are in the foothills of the Sierra if you go to Realtor.com you can search by location on a map. You would be shocked at how much water is in this area. In Carson City, we have a river with miles of trails along it under the tall Cottonwood trees, we have ponds in places few know about with bike trails around them, we have Lake Tahoe and even small alpine lakes in Carson City city limits! Nearby is Washoe Lake, many kite-boarders and wind surfers enjoy their hobby at this shallow lake. Wild horses will greet you as you walk the miles of sandy beach there...of course Lake Tahoe has the most beautiful beaches of all.

So yes, much of N NV is semi-arid, high desert... the sagebrush here is tall and the forests are in the Sierras nearby or Pinion Pine and Juniper in the Virginia Range. Most homes that are established have trees or gardens. I have over 20 trees on my property. Often we use xeriscaping in our landscape here to limit water use.

I am an avid mountain biker and hiker and love the trails and open space in this area. Another plus is the dry climate limits insects..not usually a problem with fleas or ticks on your pets here.

Here is a website that shows some of the trails in the Carson City area and information about how to visit:

https://visitcarsoncity.com/

Good luck on your search!

Last edited by ChrisMT; 12-11-2020 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-11-2020, 02:57 PM

Check out Carson City if you don't mind a smaller community nearby

Old 12-15-2020, 10:11 PM

148 posts, read 377,446 times
I used to live in Tampa and am now in Carson City. I like it here better, except for restaurant choices. I enjoy having the mountains, the quieter lifestyle, hiking possibilities, and the wild life. My commute in Tampa was almost an hour, now it's 5 minutes.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:36 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by degmphjd View Post
My air in Miami Beach is very good.

I am a runner, cyclist, boater, landscaper, hiker and camper - if I can do more of this in Reno then it wins but if not then maybe not a good move.

Also, when I look for real estate in Reno (rent and sale) I cannot tell where the good areas are located. Are there neighborhoods or towns that are close to Reno where you can get greenery ? (trees, grass, flowers, etc) or water? seems like a lot of brown, sand, rocks and no water. Any suggestions in this regard are appreciated!
Incline Village, Lake Tahoe. Please put numbers on this. What is your yearly income/expense budget, including rent, and balance sheet including buy price for housing?

I have lived in both Reno and Miami, and have some experience in Incline Village, Lake Tahoe. In my view, you can run, cycle, landscape, hike and camp anywhere.

As you already seem to be aware, you will be hard-pressed to find water and boating opportunities in Reno, as well as greenery.

Take a look at Google maps, satellite view, to get a glimpse of where any water and greenery may be in the Reno/Carson City/Lake Tahoe area.

Chances are that if you can afford to live comfortably along Lake Tahoe, then you could afford to live comfortably in most good areas of Miami. At that point, personal priorities are the issue. If finances are an issue, Carson City may be a good compromise, as someone mentioned.

Anyway, in my view, Miami's unique points are that it is in a major urban environment in a no state income tax state, surrounded by plenty of water (ocean and swamp), and warm temperatures year round.

Reno is also in a no state income tax state, but in comparison lacks water, and greenery, and, while some may describe Reno's summers and winters as mild, I don't, they feel extreme to me and personally I find humidity preferable to aridity.

By the way, in my opinion, Las Vegas is not much better than Reno on a three-way comparison with Miami in terms of climate. But you may like a high desert climate and scenery like Reno.

What is it currently about Miami Beach that displeases you? What is broken that you need to fix?

How will Reno fix it? Can you afford Incline Village? Would Carson City provide an equilibrium point?

In short, personally I find Reno (plus Nevada in general, as well as Texas) a step down from Miami and all of the southern rim of Florida, unless perhaps one has enough financial means to live comfortably somewhere along the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe.

But you may have a different set of weights and measures.

Hope this helps, a little.

Last edited by bale002; 12-16-2020 at 01:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area