Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 03:42 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
tell us where you're coming from.
It can't be any worse than the San Francisco Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Is it though? I know it's all relative, but Reno is still quite affordable by national standards - and certainly compared to California. Seems like everyone everywhere complains about cost of living, even when it's low!
As far as property taxes go in Nevada they appear to be alot less than CA.

Old 05-14-2023, 03:44 PM

30,344 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
It can't be any worse than the San Francisco Bay Area.
That is true. As I just said in my last post, being from there myself certainly skews the perspective. Everything (in the US) seems cheap by comparison!

Old 05-14-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Actually, prices have gone up more in the Reno/Sparks area than they have in California. The average home price in Reno 518k , and the average in Sacramento is 461k. I lived in Reno for 14 years and it was ok, the things I disliked were the wind and the cold winters. We lived above the city in SW Reno so we got more snow more often than what you would experience downtown. I like Carson City, it has a small-town feel but there are still plenty of places to shop. I never felt unsafe anywhere in Northern Nevada. Reno schools are usually really good or really awful. They have some charter/magnet schools that blow away anything that I've seen in Sacramento.

We live in Sacramento now and for the most part, I like it but it has the most unresponsive Sheriff's Dept I have ever encountered. I am not sure what they do, but I figured out where you can get a deputy if you need one - the parking lot of Dutch Bros.
Isn't Sacramento summers super hot? Into the 100's?
I know the traffic in Sacramento to Roseville/Placerville has got to be worse since 2010.

Old 05-14-2023, 03:50 PM

30,344 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Yep, there's that too! I'd have to look at my bills, but I think my property taxes were around $5,000 last year? And that's on a home worth $640K (or at least that's what I paid). How would NV compare for a similarly-priced home?

Old 05-14-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I suppose that's true, if we're talking about Sacramento vs Reno. I'm in the Santa Cruz/Bay Area, which obviously affects my perspective a little... and I've been thinking about moving to Reno for years, so I have kept an eye on the real estate market. Still seems okay, especially if you're not trying to buy a new build in town. I am mostly interested in older homes, and not right IN Reno itself. Maybe a bit outside.

I was just there last week, in fact, taking the Washoe County exam (for a specific job classification). It was lovely.
Santa Cruz is becautiful as far as highway 1 goes along the coast. I prefer to look at the newest home that I can get in Dayton area first then Fernley would be second. I fall under the Prop 13 property tax guidelines so property tax can go up so much over the years.

Hopefully Nevada is lower in cost better in property taxes especially compared to East Idaho areas like Pocatello to Idaho Falls to Chubbuck.

Old 05-14-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yep, there's that too! I'd have to look at my bills, but I think my property taxes were around $5,000 last year? And that's on a home worth $640K (or at least that's what I paid). How would NV compare for a similarly-priced home?
That's alot to me but then again I am at 2,200 per year on property taxes but I bought in 1989.
Guess it's like sticker shock on a new car so I would have to see what those property taxes would be on a new/newer home in Dayton/Fernley.

It appears to be something like $400+ per month on a new home in Pocatello in Idaho which to me is EXPENSIVE
I guess I must do the figures to see how much I can get on the sale of my home to wherever I'm going to move to get an apples to apples comparison.

Old 05-14-2023, 06:09 PM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
I suppose that's true, if we're talking about Sacramento vs Reno. I'm in the Santa Cruz/Bay Area, which obviously affects my perspective a little... and I've been thinking about moving to Reno for years, so I have kept an eye on the real estate market. Still seems okay, especially if you're not trying to buy a new build in town. I am mostly interested in older homes, and not right IN Reno itself. Maybe a bit outside.

I was just there last week, in fact, taking the Washoe County exam (for a specific job classification). It was lovely.
Yes, I was referring to Sacramento vs Reno sorry I botched that so badly

Old 05-14-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Santa Cruz is becautiful as far as highway 1 goes along the coast. I prefer to look at the newest home that I can get in Dayton area first then Fernley would be second. I fall under the Prop 13 property tax guidelines so property tax can go up so much over the years.

Hopefully Nevada is lower in cost better in property taxes especially compared to East Idaho areas like Pocatello to Idaho Falls to Chubbuck.
Nevada property tax isn't bad. For a residence, your property tax can't go up by more than 3% per year. They do regularly reappraise property though, but if they decide the value of your home went up by 6% they can only raise your tax by 3% but the remainder can be added to your tax bill in the future if your home value goes down. Commercial property can be taxed at 8% but they usually tax it at 4-5%. Overall, Nevada and California tax on residences ends up being very close to the same.

I like Dayton better than Fernley, but then I also like Spanish Springs, Sparks, Reno and Carson City better than Fernley.

Old 05-14-2023, 06:47 PM

Quote:
They are calculated a bit differently but they are very close to being the same. Nevada allows for a 3% annual increase, California has a 2% cap on increases. Commercial property in Nevada is taxed at a higher rate as opposed to California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area