Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 31,285 times

Advertisements

My family's moving to Reno in the summer, and we're thinking of purchasing a plot for a new home in the Sienna Ridge development, which is off of Socrates. Being close to UNR is key for us, and Sienna Ridge seems to be a family-friendly place with houses that are reasonably priced. But I have heard that since it falls a smidge east of Virginia St., it isn't as desirable a neighborhood as the northwest areas just a few blocks away. I'd be moving from New York, so I don't really have any feel as for how important this should be in my decision making. Again, I've heard that Hug high school has its problems, but my son will be attending private school, so that's not really an issue. But will it hinder me if/when I resell the property? If anyone lives in or knows of the area, I'd truly appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 08:15 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,446,977 times
NE Reno is the Ghetto. NW Reno is the modern area. Hug High School has more than its share of problems. McQueen is a top ranked high school. The area you are looking at Sienna Ridge is new, based on what I know about it, it has nothing to recommend it aside from perhaps price.

Have you explored the Somersett website? Reno and Sparks have a problem with the older homes. Most of the growth is occuring outside of the old central areas, which means there is a certain amount of "rot" in the older areas. To find a nice neighborhood may mean the outskirts, like Wingfield Springs or Somersett.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 31,285 times
Thanks for your imput. Unfortunately, Wingfield Spring (or anywhere in Sparks) isn't an option because of the traffic in/out or Reno. I sat forever on Pyramid on Monday, trying to get into town. And while Somersett is lovely, I can't really afford to pay for a golf course that I'll never use. The only reason I was considering Sienna Ridge was because it is so close to UNR. When you say NE is a ghetto, what do you mean? Here in NY the ghetto areas are truly run down with abandoned buildings, etc. I didn't really see any of that off of Socrates, it just looked like a residential neighborhood. Maybe not as fancy as Somersett, but not run down. I can't believe that I wasn't able to pick up on what a bad neighborhood it was. I was hoping that since it is just one block east of Virginia it would still be a viable place for me and my son. Again, he would be attending private school on the UNR campus, not Hug, so I need to be within a couple of miles of campus. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for everything?

Old 01-25-2007, 07:39 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,446,977 times
The Sienna Ridge area is not ghetto, it has nothing particularly lovely about it. The view north, if there is one (I don't know which house you would be in) is a view of the county jail and several scrapmetal yards, the freeway lies to the east and the railroad tracks to the west.

If you were to live in Wingfield Springs, your commute to UNR should be over to Sun Valley Blvd to Clear Acre to North McCarran to North Virgina, avoiding Pyramid.

I suggest Somersett only because it has topography and good views, I myself don't play golf, but again neither would I live in a town. My reccomendation to you would be Red Rock. But, you may prefer town.

My wife was a librarian at Hug High, Hug has major problems, ethnically related.

The old Northwest Reno, lies to the south of McCarran like South Central Los Angeles does not have the appearance of a classic east coast ghetto. It has apartments and modest single family homes. It is though, not comfortable for people whose ethnic make up differs, Gangs are real, although they are not interested in you. Most people from the dominant ethnic group would not be comfortable in the area, given a choice. I have taught school in Hug High feeder schools and have a pretty good feel for the community.

The new houses in Reno are mostly in the NW and South, Double Diamond, Arrowcreek etc., that area doesn't appeal to me because of the aircraft noise. If I had to live "down the hill" I would live in Palomino Valley, Red Rock or Virginia Highlands.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:25 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,088,984 times
Default Sienna Ridge

Well, compared to New York (which I have been) you cant call NE Ghetto.. Ghetto is anywhere off Wells. Yes there are areas here and there off Valley that are not so pleasant, But nothing threatening. I live in Highland Ranch (within Sun Valley) moved there from the NW off Mae Anne, and I have to say- there where more issues in that area than I have here. Sommersett is VERY Nice but VERY expensive, South Reno is Great, Galena HS is a wonderful school. What private school are you looking into? Sienna Ridge wont offer the famous Reno City Lights, but it is quiet and you get a great view of the Balloon Races in Sept. & close to UNR.

Last edited by ShellzBellz; 05-15-2009 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area