Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:52 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times

Advertisements

I am a renter in a nice condo complex and have been here about a year; today I was on my nightly walk and overheard a loud gentleman talking to a lady about how over the years the neighborhood has changed a lot and that renters were moving in. He goes on to say renters are irresponsible and terrible people who dont care about their surroundings and property. It really set off a bad vibe for me; I spoke up and told him I dissagreed with that statement and that I was a renter who happens to be very responsible. Just goes to show you need to be careful what you say because you never know who is listening and how words can hurt. It is ashame that there are narrow minded people out there that think all renters are that type. I pay good money to live here (over a thousand) probably a lot more than his mortgage payment and work very hard to pay the rent I pay. That statement really made me sick. I wonder if the rest of the owners here look down on the renters? Makes me want to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
I sympathize with your position. Years ago I was a renter in a mostly owner-occupied community and I always made sure I was a good neighbor - I kept the property in good condition and even planted flowers and shrubs to try to upgrade the yard (this was in a townhome community where each resident was responsible for their own yards). I would also hear negative comments from neighbors generalizing about renters that made me feel very defensive.

However, I wonder sometimes if you and I may be the exception rather than the rule. Seventeen years ago I bought a townhouse in a nice, mostly owner-occupied community. At that time, everyone in the neighborhood was house-proud, and took great care to make sure that the streets were clear of trash and litter, their yards were mowed and otherwise tidied. About five or six years ago - during the height of the real estate boom - quite a few of the houses were sold to landlords who then rented them out. There has been a definite downward trend in the neighborhood since that happened. Not all, but enough of the renters don't seem to give a rap about their neighbors or the neighborhood itself. Maybe it's because they don't have a financial stake in the place; I don't know. It's sad. And this is why people feel the way your neighbor feels.

I would like to keep an open mind about it, but I have to say when the house across the street from me sold last month, I was relieved that it was sold to people who are living there themselves. I know not all renters are poor neighbors, and I know that there are some home owners who are very irresponsible about maintaining their property. But I can't help feeling that an owner is going to have more of an incentive to take good care of his or her investment.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:17 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
One usually thinks a renter would never take care of a property as an owner. Not necessarily, if the renter has a nice personality he/she will take good care of the property as if it were his/hers, whether it actually belongs to him/her or not.

One thing people don't realize is that a renter might be renting for several reasons, not just bc he/she cannot afford to buy.
It might be a period of time adapting to a new city/neighborhood before making a purchase decision, a temporary job transfer, etc.

It is an unfortunate fact that most renters do not care much about the place where they live.
I do, and many people might behave the same way, so generalizing does not really help.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I hate to say it but to most he was speaking the truth about renters in general.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:21 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Unfortunatly, I am also going to agree that renters are not usually house proud. I have rentals and I have to put in the lease details of keeping the grounds and exterior in presentable condition. Small things like removing trash cans off the street after collected. Some people were leaving cans out all week. Those big ugly cans on wheels. Keeping grass cut on a regular basis. I still have to police houses on a regular basis to make sure they are presentable. i don't have to remind everyone, but I have done it. Granted, the renters abide by the expectations, but some had to be reminded.
For the most part, my renters keep thier places neat and presentable. I think I am lucky. I have had bad ones with dogs, cars, trash and general.
Don't take personally if owners are down on renters. Take pride that you are the exception and you let them know it.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
It is a very real problem for Condo and Town Home Developments and one many do not realize...

Just about all lenders require the ratio of Home Owners exceed the number of renters by a certain multiple before they will consider granting a loan.

A very good friend got married and their family was growing... they decided to sell their condo and buy a larger place... Condo was immaculate and the grounds very nice... they had plenty of interest but every private lender backed-out when they learned the property was about 50% renters and 50% home owners...

Just something to keep in mind.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
That happened to me several years ago when I wanted to buy a two bedroom co-op apartment in NYC. The building's rental % exceeded the bank's limits, so I had to get a mortgage from the seller (the co-operative housing corporation)... with 20% down and 8% interest

Old 06-22-2010, 01:42 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
I buy properties to rehab in condo developments. Almost immediately when I take possession the neighbors come around wanting to know if I'm going to move in or what my plans are. When they learn that I rehab properties (typically owner occupants buy rehabbed properties, not investors) for resale they are always soooo relieved.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
One of the points our current landlord brought up when we were looking at the house we currently rent was that it was one of only 2 rental properties on the entire block.

As odd as it may be, we were pretty relieved.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I am a renter in a nice condo complex and have been here about a year; today I was on my nightly walk and overheard a loud gentleman talking to a lady about how over the years the neighborhood has changed a lot and that renters were moving in. He goes on to say renters are irresponsible and terrible people who dont care about their surroundings and property. It really set off a bad vibe for me; I spoke up and told him I dissagreed with that statement and that I was a renter who happens to be very responsible. Just goes to show you need to be careful what you say because you never know who is listening and how words can hurt. It is ashame that there are narrow minded people out there that think all renters are that type. I pay good money to live here (over a thousand) probably a lot more than his mortgage payment and work very hard to pay the rent I pay. That statement really made me sick. I wonder if the rest of the owners here look down on the renters? Makes me want to move.
Well, get used to it. I should take a picture of the rental properties in my university neighborhood, with garbage and old beer cans everywhere, furniture on the front lawn, etc. I wouldn't expect people who live like pigs at age 19, to "grow out of it". A lot of people are just pigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting